Helping the Undecided

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by Runeweaver » Sat May 14, 2016 9:51 pm

LadySabelle wrote:... get friends to help out for the low price of a couple of pizzas and some drinks. Throw a movie on for background noise and call it a "DATE".
Ok. I know your gender, so you can take a stance like that and win, but...

Remind me never to take date advice from you, because if I did, I'd be wishing for a week without rationalization from my wife. :lol:

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 pm

lol - true :)

It wasn't really agonizing over spending over 1K, it was more of I really wanted to stick to the budget this time around. But with so many awesome pieces and now with my gf's support, its harder and harder. Staring at this stuff for hours on end, I am definitely bound to fail, lol.

I keep telling myself I don't need it all, that we likely won't use it all, and to be responsible.....but then there is that little kid inside that's like OMG CASTLESSSSS

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Castles are super easy to paint if you're going with the DF standard scheme. If this was more Tudor pieces, I'd agree with your GF, but if you're already agonizing over spending 1K, I'd say get more bang for your buck. Dry brushing is really easy so you can get friends to help out for the low price of a couple of pizzas and some drinks. Throw a movie on for background noise and call it a "date." If you're a DM offer extra EXP or a custom Magic Item for anyone who helps out. You've got until next January to earn favors from them.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sat May 14, 2016 7:42 pm

You know - it doesn't help when I tell the gf my plans, and her response is....you know you are never going to paint it. So you may as well get what you like and get it painted...and pay the extra.

Yet another penalty to will saves

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 pm

one of my favorite movie quotes of all time ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sat May 14, 2016 6:26 pm

kitenerd wrote:don't knock rationalizations, they are more important than sex

nothing is more important than sex

oh yeah, ever gone a week without a rationalization?
hehehe So true.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat May 14, 2016 6:17 pm

don't knock rationalizations, they are more important than sex

nothing is more important than sex

oh yeah, ever gone a week without a rationalization?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm

I think I may have to cave and go to 1.5K *sigh* Though I REALLLLLYYY don't want too, too much awesome stuff

-edit- I was able to reroll my save. I am going to stick to 1K for the castle - the .5 part may have to be the mountain mega packs....so I guess that may not be a rerolled save, so much as a - mountains don't count as castles approach

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sat May 14, 2016 5:34 pm

geekjeff wrote:
BullMag wrote: Before I get too far into it - Bullmag, how important to you is having the interior space of that facade playable?
Oh that's a tough question. I actually hadn't thought of it. And after staring at the pledge manager for hours yesterday and today, I feel the penalties to my will save starting to stack. I haven't had the luxury of playing with CBS so I don't know how wellplaying in interior spaces really works

I think having interior playing space is nice, but I am not sure how much we would actually use if it is very crammed and hard to access. For example, I actually think it is nice to not have inside walls because it eases playability. I could see a majority of combat happening on roof tops and if we go into the insides, take it to a separate build that replicates the inside space or break apart the tower. I don't mind not having it entirely playable as it stands high cause I think it will be too crammed to play without taking it apart....but when I take it apart, I would like to have the ability to create what they would see (does that make sense, or am I just being complicated?) I don't know if that cheapen the build since if I have to replicate the insides somewhere else, I may as well have just built it in the right place in the first place?

I could basically see myself making that build and do a double wide wall behind it to have max playability and ease of access. Then open up to a huge flat courtyard - not needing to worry about the other walls of the castle until we need to build them up for some reason.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat May 14, 2016 3:32 pm

BullMag wrote: I think I MUST have mountains + that picture I linked AND make it all painted. The need to build a full on castle from all angles is low. I feel like having the façade, walls and towers is great. I can use my KS 1 to fill in the insides ( I think). The mountains are just a perfect addition to KS2.

think the battlements are so much nicer than the crenulations because of the extra play space.
Ok, that giant Gatehouse Facade can actually be made cheaper than I realized - I don't know why I didn't think about Cube Spacers before.

Before I get too far into it - Bullmag, how important to you is having the interior space of that facade playable?

If you don't care about interiors and just want the walls and tower tops, you can do that pretty cheaply and rock solid with just 2 packs of Cube Spacers ($70 total unpainted) added to your Gatehouse and basic Wall and Tower bits.

If you want the inside tower halves and the 4x6 inch space shown behind them in your pic playable, you can probably do it pretty well by adding 1x Square Tower and 2x Stone Advanced Builder ($203) to those cubes. Gets you some CBS to play with in builds.

Battlements are beautiful, but expensive on a budget and the price adds up quickly. Crenellations would be cheaper, but you could start with a Watchtower instead of plain tower levels and add on 1 Straight, 1 Corner, and 1 TransitionBattlements ($95 Unpainted) and have those 2 towers plus up to 10" of wall on both sides covered with Battlements.

Anyways, again - how important are playable interiors to you there? Let me know and I'll try to sketch out this build.