Helping the Undecided

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by bernyleung » Sun May 15, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi, period3!

I think you might be short on some pieces to be able to do what you want.

To take the Count's Castle and make the inner courtyard 16"x16", you will need to extend each of the four walls by 8". This means minimum 2 packs of straight walls and 2 packs of Ramparts inside walls. If you want a complete flagstone floor then you will need to add 3 pieces of 8"x8", which means 2 packs of flagstone floors.

I think you might be one 4x4 roof platform short to square off one of your corners in the two-castle build.

How will you build the barbican without extra 4" tower pieces, unless you plan to scavenge these pieces from two of your corner towers?

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

My thoughts so far, all unpainted, all shipped to Canada:

Counts Castle 1
Erinthor Mountains 1
Square Tower 1
Tower Bridge 2
Stone Bridge 2
Floor pack 1
Castle Cren 1
Straight Wall 1
Inside wall 1
Cube spacer 2
Tower breakout 1
Gatehouse 1

Total: $1576 USD.

If I did this right, this lets me build:
- a standard counts castle
- a double-wide (i.e. 16 square wide courtyard) count's castle
- a double-wide count's castle with barbican as in https://flic.kr/p/G3RKoJ
- two castles, each with two round towers. One with two corners composed of spacer cubes + corner crenellations, and one with one spacer cube corner + square tower corner (with a max of three corner crenellations)

Alternatively, I was thinking of going big on mountains:
Counts castle 1
Stone bridge 2
Suspended Parapet pack 1
Erinthor Mountains 2
Tower bridge 2
Cube Spacer 1
Tower Breakout Pack 1
Motorized Drawbridge 1
Total: $1575 USD

I've a 6' x 3'2" table to fill, and I've not done this before. Hard to know how many mountains I should be getting...

StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Post by StevenO » Sun May 15, 2016 6:05 pm

BullMag wrote:You know - it doesn't help when I tell the gf my plans, and her response is....you know you are never going to paint it. So you may as well get what you like and get it painted...and pay the extra.

Yet another penalty to will saves
Ouch. Or GREAT, depending on how you view the $$$ spent.

My original figure was just $889 with some most of it painted but now I'm looking at that same figure with stuff unpainted. Looking at more options that could easily go up another $100+.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sun May 15, 2016 5:25 pm

geekjeff wrote:Worth noting - if you go with 4" towers it's dead simple. Stick half-round tower bits to the front of CBS 4x4" units or 4" Castle Walls flanking your Gatehouse. That's a different look though.
Yeah I think I am going to try it with 4" towers for simplicity. So I have been staring at this stuff till I go blind. Unfortunately, I don't have excel to use the spreadsheet someone had made where you can build it all out visually.

I was torn between using an extended Counts Castle with 2 watch towers as base (like Semi-ArchDukish), or starting with GC and adding some small towers. The problem I have with the count's castle is all the darn small towers - I feel like I will get very little use out of them because of their limited playability in terms of space.

When do you see the biggest value out of Count's castle?

Oh and I upped my limit to 2k because I was seeing I really cant get all the flexibility and playable stuff I want (and so it begins)

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 15, 2016 12:42 am

Worth noting - if you go with 4" towers it's dead simple. Stick half-round tower bits to the front of CBS 4x4" units or 4" Castle Walls flanking your Gatehouse. That's a different look though.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 15, 2016 12:39 am

BullMag wrote:GeekJeff - The towers used to make that façade are 6" ones yes? Does that mean you somehow have to figure out how to use the 2x4 advanced builder?
Yes, the facade in the pic you linked were 6" ones. If you just want the facade for effect, with the walltop and roof areas playable, stick that halved 6" tower up against your wall, fill the back of it with 3 across cube spacers however high you want to go, top with crenellations. Done! ;)

3x Large Tower Fortified, 2x Cube Spacers, 1x Large Tower Crenellations, Castle Crenellation pack or Straight Crenellation pack.
Add your Gatehouse and whatever length of Straight Walls packs you desire.

If you want an interior playable space with floors and doors that make sense (can enter it from the wall, can move from there to the upper gatehouse, can take stairs/ladders up to trapdoors in roof) then you have to make 3 levels of awkwardly shaped 4"x6" building behind it. City Builder really wants to be 4x4, the new Advanced Builder set lets you add 2x4 floors but if you don't already have a collection of City Builder to work with, it's tricky.

In my head, you can do it with 1 Square Tower set and 2 Advanced Builder sets (the Advcanced Builder sets include some posts and parts to make some walls double tall, so two of your floors from that Square tower get to be double high.) Mostly Cube Spacers (and one 2x4 floor & posts) help build elevation behind the wall, so your playable 4x6 areas have a stable place to stand.

King_Stannis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by King_Stannis » Sun May 15, 2016 12:30 am

If it helps this is my pledge, I was in much the same boat. Somewhat limited budget, looking for value and being careful to not overpurchase for castle specific only items.

1x Watchtower $190
1x Count's Castle - Unpainted $585.00
1x Batter Base Large Tower - Unpainted $42.00
1x Tower Transition Pack - Unpainted $23.00
2x Suspended Parapet Pack - Unpainted $52.00
2x Tower Bridge - Unpainted $32.00
1x Ruined Wall - Unpainted $20.00
2x Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted $54.00
1x Citadel / Grand Citadel Crenellation Pack - Unpainted $110.00
1x Mountain Peak Pack - Unpainted $34.00
2x Mountain Floor Pack - Unpainted $36.00
2x Mountain Cliff Pack - Unpainted $90.00
5x Cube Spacer Pack - Painted $230.00

Total $1,498

The cube spacers I am using to expand my castle footprint as the walls by stacking them. Additionally I think they will be of use in dungeon builds as well.
A prim and proper Pimp of Valoria.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Sun May 15, 2016 12:22 am

GeekJeff - The towers used to make that façade are 6" ones yes? Does that mean you somehow have to figure out how to use the 2x4 advanced builder?

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 pm

BullMag wrote:lol - true :)

I keep telling myself I don't need it all, that we likely won't use it all, and to be responsible.....but then there is that little kid inside that's like OMG CASTLESSSSS
I can relate to the inside voice. I completely failed the Will save to get some of my sculpting pay in cash rather than dwarvenite. My husband didn't even offer any resistance bonuses. We both just ran in with the keys to the candy shop and couldn't resist snatching up all the goodies.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Never assume that someone who cares about you will tell you "NO. I won't help you paint." Just try asking. My husband has been helping me paint the KS3 stuff and the Tudor pieces are a real pain. Be prepared to do something nice in return, though. It will make it a lot easier to get them to help again in future.

One thing that might factor in though... if you have young children. If they aren't old enough to add to your workforce, you might need a second favor from the grandparents. That might be too high a price to waste on a night of painting.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/