Helping the Undecided

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by geekjeff » Thu May 19, 2016 10:25 pm

You've got a pretty good handle on it - yes if you went 4 levels high (flush with the top of the Gatehouse + Winch level) you can get away with 1 Square Tower and 1 Advanced Builder (four 2x4 floors) plus a few Cube Spacers. Easiest/cheapest way to do that is making the section of the wall adjoining the Gatehouse double thick (takes 2 Cube Spacers) and filling in half the wall next to it with 2 more Cube Spacers. Since you're filling in the end cap of that wall with Cube Spacers, you can have the double thick portion sticking inside or outside the courtyard. I'd recommend using some MWOD walls here so you can access the arc from inside the castle wall.

It's pretty simple from there up. Note that if you want a place for Minis to stand in the arc behind the tower and shoot out the arrowslits, you'll need an Alternate Floors pack for the half-rounds unless you can scavenge some from a 4" tower somewhere.

4 Floors high would give you a flat topped, kind of Capital - B shaped platform which would look pretty nice. Yes you'd need a Large Round Crenellations, as well as a mix of 8 Straight Crenellations/Accessory Crenellations.

Also, just wanted to make sure you realize that a 4 floor build will require slightly more than a Watchtower, unless you want an exterior door out there somewhere. Watchtower has exactly 4 floors worth of tower walls including the door, nothing extra.

If you want to go 5 floors high on those side towers, you come to needing 2 Advanced Builder sets. It's not even for the 2x4 floors - the two sets of Double High posts allow you to turn 4 floors of Square Tower into 6 floor's worth of height.
I THINK 5 floors high should allow you to use Battlements up there. It'll be tight and you may have to cheat in one direction or the other a bit with the Straight Crenellations on top of the Gatehouse, but I think you can make it work.

I've been playing with Castle parts in Sketchup, I'll see if I can find time soonish to do a rough exploded diagram.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Thu May 19, 2016 5:21 pm

geekjeff wrote:As the saying goes - well that escalated quickly, didn't it? ;)
GeekJeff - ANy chance you worked out how one would actually build that 6" barbican? I was trying to figure it out from the picture.

Did they do like 2 stories of 4 advanced builder tiles wide? (2x4 tiles) It is hard to tell from their picture. I just want to make sure I can build that with all I am spending, lol

I know you had said 2x advanced builders and 1 tower. So I may have to add another advanced builder. Though I am trying to figure out exactly how many 2x4 tiles I actually need because if I just go RC, that gets me one that I could scavenge to build a façade (when I don't need the keep)

edit - so I have been trying to visualize this using google sheets. If I am thinking correctly - the gate house is 4x4. Since the half tower is flush with the face of the gatehouse, you would likely need double walls. If you have double walls then you only need 1 4x4 piece and 1 2x4 piece per tower and make it 4 inches high (using the advanced builder extended pole things). Is that accurate?

If I didn't need it to be 5 stories high - I could get away with 1 advanced builder and 1 tower, but I would not be able to use battlements - I would need 1 set of round crenalations. Otherwise, if the towers are higher than the middle part, I should be able to use battlements

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Actually, come to think of it I believe I will be able to make 16x16 as well.

With the pledge I posted I'll have 3+4 = 7 straight wall sections, and four corner walls, but 20 spacer cubes is enough to construct a further four straight solid wall sections (16 cubes: four cubes per wall x four walls). With the addition of the castle crenellation pack as I posted, I have a total of 24 regular crenellations, 8 CBS-style / accessory crenellations, and 10 corner crenellations, which is enough for a 16x16 castle. (Although I will have to substitute CBS-style / accessory crenellations for regular ones)

I am short a courtyard floor though, but I could take a mismatched one from my erinthor mountains pack or just sacrifice a week or two of coffee to get another matching floor pack.

bernyleung wrote:Hi, period3!

I think you might be short on some pieces to be able to do what you want.

To take the Count's Castle and make the inner courtyard 16"x16", you will need to extend each of the four walls by 8". This means minimum 2 packs of straight walls and 2 packs of Ramparts inside walls. If you want a complete flagstone floor then you will need to add 3 pieces of 8"x8", which means 2 packs of flagstone floors.

I think you might be one 4x4 roof platform short to square off one of your corners in the two-castle build.

How will you build the barbican without extra 4" tower pieces, unless you plan to scavenge these pieces from two of your corner towers?

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Mon May 16, 2016 4:29 am

Okay slightly revised:
Count's Castle - Unpainted 1 $585.00
Modular Wall of Doom - Unpainted 1 $19.00
Suspended Parapet Pack - Unpainted 1 $26.00
Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted 1 $27.00
Square Roof Platform Pack - Unpainted 1 $48.00
Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted 1 $27.00
Manual Drawbridge Upgrade - Unpainted 1 $57.00
Arch Walls - Unpainted 1 $19.00
Watchtower - Unpainted 2 $380.00
Tower Transition Pack - Unpainted 2 $46.00
Courtyard Floors - Unpainted 1 $57.00
8x8 Floors - Unpainted 1 $18.00
Erinthor Mountains - Unpainted 1 $280.00
Large Tower Roofs Pack - Unpainted 2 $44.00
Tower Bridge - Unpainted 2 $32.00
Castle Double Thick Wall Pack - Unpainted 1 $62.00
Cube Spacer Pack - Unpainted 2 $70.00
Straight Battlements - Unpainted 1 $46.00
Square Castle Tower - Unpainted 1 $78.00
Straight Walls Pack - Unpainted 1 $56.00
Long Walls Pack - Unpainted 1 $58.00
Long Inside Walls Pack - Unpainted 1 $31.00
Corner Battlements - Unpainted 1 $27.00
Stone Advanced Builder Set - Unpainted 1 $60.00
Square Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted 1 $25.00
Stone Bridge Pack - Unpainted 2 $34.00
LED Castle Assortment - Unpainted 1 $76.00
Battlement Transitions - Unpainted 1 $22.00

Total of 2310 (missed the 2260 mark by 50 bucks )

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Mon May 16, 2016 3:34 am

geekjeff wrote:As the saying goes - well that escalated quickly, didn't it? ;)
Yeah - FML. lol

I actually am still tweaking the list. I thought GC + CC was a good idea and I could create some cool courthouse within courthouse things. However, I realized if I remove GC and just do 2 watch towers, I get enough stretch goals to be a happy camper and I can get even wider variety of addons.

Now I am unsure again - lol. I am leaning towards CC + 2 Watchtowers + tons of addons for flexibility/playability.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am

As the saying goes - well that escalated quickly, didn't it? ;)

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Mon May 16, 2016 1:22 am

Period3,
I am trying to make the Barbican as well - though I think I have succumb to either the 6inch with spacer cubes, or 4" and not have the interior lower levels playable.

I think I landed on the following after trying to trim it down A LOT. With 260 already in from kickstarter, I wanted to limit the additional funds to 2K. I should be able to have a mix of Battlements/Crenalations on a sizeable 16x16 platform at least. And I can get double walls on the front façade such that I can do a barbican. I am not really sure if there are things in there that overlap that I really don't need. I tried to trim it down the best as possible.

Count's Castle - Unpainted x 1 $585.00
Grand Citadel - Unpainted x1 $770.00
Cube Spacer Pack - Unpainted x3 $105.00
Modular Wall of Doom - Unpainted x1 $19.00
Castle Double Thick Wall Pack - Unpainted x1 $62.00
Suspended Parapet Pack - Unpainted x1 $26.00
Battlement Transitions - Unpainted x1 $22.00
Erinthor Mountains - Unpainted x1 $280.00
Small Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted x1 $27.00
Square Roof Platform Pack - Unpainted x1 $48.00
Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Unpainted x1 $27.00
Manual Drawbridge Upgrade - Unpainted x1 $57.00
Straight Battlements - Unpainted x1 $46.00
Large Tower Breakout - Unpainted x1 $37.00
Large Tower Roofs Pack - Unpainted x1 $22.00
Arch Walls - Unpainted x1 $19.00
Tower Bridge - Unpainted x2 $32.00
Batter Base Large Tower - Unpainted x1 $42.00
Stone Bridge Pack - Unpainted x2 $34.00

Total: $2260 - so an additional 2K exactly

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:52 am

For the barbican, I was going to take the four level square tower and split it up to get the two levels above the gatehouse and the two single levels to either side. Sadly I couldn't fit the drawbridge into this pledge, even though it's one of my favourites :(

Instead of the 4x4 floors I was going to just use spacer cubes. For the two parts that jut out, I'd need 8 spacer cubes per side to make (per side) a four-square wide by four-square long two-story wall, upon which I'd rest half a square tower level, and two CBS or accessory crenellations. The front 4x4 square face would have half of a two-level 4" tower with crenellations. The two flanking straight walls in the photo would be replaced with corner walls, so that the whole barbican assembly would take up most of the front face of the 8x16 castle.

Another slight issue is that I don't have enough square tower walls that have doors, but I'll probably just make a ladder or staircase up to the next level to compensate for that. Hopefully it still looks OK.

EDIT: Oh I see I will need three roofs to rest the crenellations on for the two-level tower sitting on the gatehouse, and the other two levels adjacent to it. I have one for the extra unused gatehouse, and one for the square tower, so I'm short one. As I mentioned before, I think I'll probably just try to make one to start, or maybe use more spacer cubes in the interior)
geekjeff wrote:By "Double Wide" Count's Castle I think peroid3 means 8x16 courtyard, which there should be enough pieces there for (as written, 16 squares wide not 16" square.)

You could build a barbican, but don't have what you need for that exact barbican pic unless you have some City Builder to add - that pics requires six 4x4 stone CBS building floors, Square Tower Pack contains two. You can do that one without an Advanced Builder set though, which is nice.

You also don't have the Drawbridge Upgrade shown in that pic listed in your first build list, and unless you're planning to cannibalize parts from your Count's Castle towers for it you'd need to add 1x Small Fortified Tower and 1x Small Tower Crenellations.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks for the reply...

I meant it could make the inner courtyard 8"x16" -- doubled in one dimension but not the other, so one set of walls should do it. (two inserted on either side of the gatehouse, two more on the back wall)

I think if I am short a 4x4 roof platform, then I'll probably just make one from balsa wood or something similar, rather than pledging a bunch more for what looks like a simple interior piece.

For the barbican yes, the plan was to scavenge the front two towers from the count's castle (I'd actually only need 2/3rds of one tower, but I'll probably take them both out and use the left over bits to boost the rear towers, or maybe make a little hut elsewhere on the table).

bernyleung wrote:Hi, period3!

I think you might be short on some pieces to be able to do what you want.

To take the Count's Castle and make the inner courtyard 16"x16", you will need to extend each of the four walls by 8". This means minimum 2 packs of straight walls and 2 packs of Ramparts inside walls. If you want a complete flagstone floor then you will need to add 3 pieces of 8"x8", which means 2 packs of flagstone floors.

I think you might be one 4x4 roof platform short to square off one of your corners in the two-castle build.

How will you build the barbican without extra 4" tower pieces, unless you plan to scavenge these pieces from two of your corner towers?

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 am

By "Double Wide" Count's Castle I think peroid3 means 8x16 courtyard, which there should be enough pieces there for (as written, 16 squares wide not 16" square.)

You could build a barbican, but don't have what you need for that exact barbican pic unless you have some City Builder to add - that pics requires six 4x4 stone CBS building floors, Square Tower Pack contains two. You can do that one without an Advanced Builder set though, which is nice.

You also don't have the Drawbridge Upgrade shown in that pic listed in your first build list, and unless you're planning to cannibalize parts from your Count's Castle towers for it you'd need to add 1x Small Fortified Tower and 1x Small Tower Crenellations.