Count's Castle FAQ - updated with new Battlement info

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Re: Count's Castle FAQ - updated with new Battlement info

Post by Blue Prophet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

The out-of-square pac-man bits do push the towers out pretty significantly.
Yeah, I'm not happy with those at all. I think I may shave them down to square as they definitely push the whole tower away from the corner too. But the bigger problem with the gap is that the 4" towers are not a full 4" wide. But the notch out of the corner walls is exactly half the wall at 2". The only reason to have that notch is making the tower accessible to the interior wall for gaming purposes, it didn't need to be a full 2" wide. 1 1/2" would have been fine.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:57 pm
I put my Count's together last week when I got it, and must agree that I hate the fact that the upper Inside Corner Walls just sit there with nothing to hold them in place. And being Gorgonite they are slicker and lighter so more liable to shift around.

I've no idea what the little posts with the magnets are intended for, but I used them to fill the gaps at the edges of each corner 4" tower. It's rather fiddly. You can use the magnet in the pillar to hold it in place on each notch of the corner wall (the ones with the beveled edge). Then when you put the corner towers up against it you don't see into the wall. I don't understand why they didn't just make the notch out of those corner walls smaller as the true diameter of the 4" towers is like 1/8" under 4". The dumb Pac-Man piece makes the gap worse too.
Yeah, while the pegs would be great for the gatehouse, they're absolutely necessary for the inner walls. Those things slide off if I breathe too closely to them. At least the gatehouse will stay upright if I sacrifice the floor pegs.

I had the same thought about gap-filling with the corner posts, and will do that if there's no other use for them. The out-of-square pac-man bits do push the towers out pretty significantly.

Thanks.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am
I received and assembled my Count's Castle yesterday.
Look all good assembly projects without instructions, though, I have pieces left over.

Included in the box were 2 half elevation blocks and eight inside corner posts. Where are these intended to be used?

Extra Pieces.jpg

Also, the eight inside corner walls have peg holes (and are too unstable to be used without pegs), but the only pegs in the box were six included with the gatehouse. Were there supposed to be four included for the four pairs of inside corner walls?

Inside Corner Walls.jpg

Thanks.
I put my Count's together last week when I got it, and must agree that I hate the fact that the upper Inside Corner Walls just sit there with nothing to hold them in place. And being Gorgonite they are slicker and lighter so more liable to shift around.

I've no idea what the little posts with the magnets are intended for, but I used them to fill the gaps at the edges of each corner 4" tower. It's rather fiddly. You can use the magnet in the pillar to hold it in place on each notch of the corner wall (the ones with the beveled edge). Then when you put the corner towers up against it you don't see into the wall. I don't understand why they didn't just make the notch out of those corner walls smaller as the true diameter of the 4" towers is like 1/8" under 4". The dumb Pac-Man piece makes the gap worse too.

Here's a picture where you can see the bit of metal or magnet on that pillar next to the tower.
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 1717 times

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

DonTheDime wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am
I am pretty sure that the two half elevation blocks are meant to be used with four of the stone stairs (the straight ones) to access the tops of the walls from the inside of the castle, at the front where the accessory crenellations are. The two sets of stairs could be placed along the walls that are perpendicular to the castle's front wall.
Well that makes sense. I didn't put in the stairs while doing my initial build and didn't even consider them. I got stuck on the idea of the elevation pieces and inside corner posts being used together. Thanks!
Still no idea about the inside corner posts, but that's part of the mystery solved.

DonTheDime
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DonTheDime » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am

I am pretty sure that the two half elevation blocks are meant to be used with four of the stone stairs (the straight ones) to access the tops of the walls from the inside of the castle, at the front where the accessory crenellations are. The two sets of stairs could be placed along the walls that are perpendicular to the castle's front wall.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am

I received and assembled my Count's Castle yesterday.
Like all good assembly projects without instructions, though, I have pieces left over.

Included in the box were 2 half elevation blocks and eight inside corner posts. Where are these intended to be used?

Extra Pieces.jpg
Extra Pieces.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

Also, the eight inside corner walls have peg holes (and are too unstable to be used without pegs), but the only pegs in the box were six included with the gatehouse. Were there supposed to be four included for the four pairs of inside corner walls?

Inside Corner Walls.jpg
Inside Corner Walls.jpg (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Thanks.
Last edited by Magniopi on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:49 am

Thanks!

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:08 am

Here is the flickr photo stream...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140378804@N05/page1

However I don't see the Count's Castle out there... I have it locally... downloaded it... hopefully it is high enough resolution.
KS4 - Count's Castle List.jpg
KS4 - Count's Castle List.jpg (518.26 KiB) Viewed 4276 times

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:34 am

It's too bad they're not included, but at least these parts should be pretty easy to make since they're not visible anyway.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the album that had the updated Count's castle parts list? Can't find it now that the pledgemanager is closed.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:57 pm

I believe you are correct, and that's actually something I hadn't considered for some of my own builds.

There was talk of DIY mods to split a full small tower roof platform into two pieces for this, which would still allow the halves to be used together in place of a whole piece. But until the productions pieces hit backers' hands whether that's feasible remains a big question mark.

I have a couple of probably unneeded 3/4 small tower platforms coming in two Tower Transition packs I bought for Watchtowers, I can probably snap a quadrant off those. Or honestly, it shouldn't be too hard to fab a 1/8 thick semicircle out of birch plywood or heavy yardstick/matte board and paint it grey. I'm not too worried about it, but good catch.