City builder additions

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: City builder additions

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Really loving the window panes and the guild hall roof. Those are incredible. How about a Kremlin onion top?

moes1980
Goblin
Goblin

Post by moes1980 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Very cool additions! Now I am curios to see a domed observatory roof with an arcane looking telescope sticking out of it.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Welcome to the Forums!

These additions are awesome! The bell tower, temple roof, and window inserts are of particular interest to me.
Thanks so much for sharing!

I am hoping to invest in a 3D printer one day... but it is down the list a ways... I think it is between kickstarters 6 and 7. ;)

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't have a 3d printer but I will be marking plenty of custom stuff when mine arrives :D

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm really digging the last pic is the roof round on top or square love the 4 pane Windows

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Love those window panes! And that last roof is awesome! Full of character. I particularly like how you added the understructure, and not just plopped the (very cool) roof on top of it.

Just one more point in the "ask for a 3D printer for my birthday" tally. ;)

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:52 pm

By the way, I've made a lot of roofs using the dungeon tiles for sizing. There a little off from the city builder size, but that's something I can work on. Most are unpainted, but that's fine with me, I have a place in my fantasy world known for it's painted towers, so bright colors work for that. Although I may try weathering them, if I can get a good way to do it.

Here's another one I like a lot. I think of it as a Temple or Guildhall roof:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Don't worry, there are no actual moderators on this forum. We sort of police ourselves.

Great first post! I've been itching to get a 3D printer, and this kind of stuff just makes me want to even more. I like the windows and the bell tower a lot!
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:02 pm

LOVE the window inserts! I hope DF takes inspiration from this for KS4!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, I made them as three piece inserts, basically it's a window pane between two frames. The wall and therefore the windows are roughly 10mm thick. For a single large pane window, I put a 0.8mm pane between two 4.5mm frames, which centers the "glass." However, I prefer the four pane look. When I tried those same dimensions, the cross pieces looked too thick with a centered pane. So I wanted to move the pane closer to the outside. So for the four pane look, I have a 7mm thick frame that I insert on the inside, then from the outside I insert the "glass" pane, and finally I insert the 2mm outer frame with the cross pieces to create the appearance of four panes.

I'm pretty sure I can use this same technique to produce stained glass window, but the hard part will be using multiple colors of panes. I may need to glue those and make a single permanent insert.