GREEN STUFF Mods to Dwarvenite

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: GREEN STUFF Mods to Dwarvenite

Post by William » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Well I haven't worked on my Cavern Tiles lately, but I have started the paintng on my Dungeon Game Tiles. This post is not to show that, it's to show the amount of mods I did to my Dungeon Tiles. I'll post something like this on the Caverns when I get them "done" or mostly. ;)

The Unmodified tiles are in the Red Box and the Modified pieces are within the Green Box.
DSCF3198crop.jpg
DSCF3198crop.jpg (201.25 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
I can post some close-ups if interested. :arrow: :?:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:53 am

I did not care for the Dwarvenite water set. I have spent a lot of time making accessories for the resin river and lake sets.The 2" by 2" don't fit very well with what I have done.I like your modifications. The conversions of the floor and wall tiles are very inspiring.
I asked about the ratio of modification to plain because I am reaching the limits of what I can store. I have begun cannibalising the old to make new.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:09 am

@ Oldent - List of previous KS pledges. +/-
Game Tiles - 10 sets + Stretch Goals (7 with KS, 3 off Ebay) plus lots of different Add-Ons.
Caverns - 10 Sets + Stretch Goals (All KS) with 5 Water Add-On packs and many other Add-Ons.
Capitol City + 2 Monster Sewers + 1.5 Imperial Streets + 16 roof Add-Ons + more... :ugeek:

I'm planning on purchasing 3 more water sets before I get to painting all of them. I'm shooting for +/- a third of my tiles modified. I would modify less if I only had Dwarvenite, but I also have 37 boxes of Master Maze Caverns and Dungeons to mix in also. The resin sets I have are also not spread out over all the newer realms (not that I don't want RotA or DoE or ...(?), I just have not had the extra $ to get them). The only set of resin I have purchased in the last ten+ years was one Woodland set earlier this year. I'm not even sure I would have gotten back into this hobby if the Game Tiles were not introduced. I would love to game again someday, but this is more of a hobby for me at this point to distract from pain. I really just want to take the sets to the Nth level for the fun of it.

Law was talking about flexibility of pieces on another thread and I agree to a point. I didn't get any of the Lava, Ice or even the Chamber of Sorrows durring the Game Tiles KS, so I could concentrate on just the base type pieces. I didn't even get any passages, dur to my resin sets. In that, I agree with him about having too many specialized pieces can be limiting, but I do love the ability to mix things up.

@ Elye - Hope you had a good wedding and honeymoon. Just keeping busy. ;)
I had not thought about doing the elevation blocks, but now I am. Thanks.

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Great thread. William, I salute you for your commitment to take the time to add so much interesting variety… I'm finally finding a little time to paint my cavern tiles and while I have found myself wanting to tweak some of them, I realized if I waited to do that I'd probably never get them done.

I have however been doing a few mods of some cavern elevation tiles (the big square blocks) along the same lines, cutting out holes / grottos and then sculpting the edges with epoxy putty. I'll post pics anon!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Oldent wrote:well ventilated room
Any kind of dust can be harmful. Always take care. Smooth On makes good products.

jchunick classes are cool.I missed Goo Con. My water pump when out at Cool Min Or Not Expo and the truck was not ready in time.I am lucky that the local Smooth on Dealer has classes all the time.There are several new products I would like to learn to use.
One of the new Smooth-On products I saw used on Tested ( http://www.tested.com , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/testedcom ) was a product that will shrink the mold by a consistent amount. It retains detail extremely well. It's a cool way to reduce a piece in size.

http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=79
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:24 pm

well ventilated room
Any kind of dust can be harmful. Always take care. Smooth On makes good products.

jchunick classes are cool.I missed Goo Con. My water pump when out at Cool Min Or Not Expo and the truck was not ready in time.I am lucky that the local Smooth on Dealer has classes all the time.There are several new products I would like to learn to use.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Oldent wrote:Wonderful work.
I was curious about the number of sets you purchased because I was interested in the ratio of modified parts to plain.I like as much variation as possible too.

Making copies.
I don't make molds unless I need a hundred copies. Your basalt columns are a good candidate.I would suggest you make a 1 1/2", 1", 3/4" and a 1/2" sections 1/2" thick.Make as many as you can fit into about a 4" by six inch box. They each would have 8 different sides and could be stacked in in different combinations. Ask LadySabelle what she thinks.I would buy a mold like that.

I do not like to cast lead or resin in the house. I am sure you could fine some one to cast for you. making the mold itself takes practice I am sure you can do it.

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
At the resin casting workshop I took at GenCon our instructor was very big into testing and safety. His wife is a chemist and he haS a very good friend that works with chemicals whom he had look at the smooth-on 300 series resins. He said there weren't any issues with either part A or B of the resin, but the ease release 200 wasn't good to breathe. That being said he still recommended wearing a respirator and work in a well ventilated room.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:34 am

Wonderful work.
I was curious about the number of sets you purchased because I was interested in the ratio of modified parts to plain.I like as much variation as possible too.

Making copies.
I don't make molds unless I need a hundred copies. Your basalt columns are a good candidate.I would suggest you make a 1 1/2", 1", 3/4" and a 1/2" sections 1/2" thick.Make as many as you can fit into about a 4" by six inch box. They each would have 8 different sides and could be stacked in in different combinations. Ask LadySabelle what she thinks.I would buy a mold like that.

I do not like to cast lead or resin in the house. I am sure you could fine some one to cast for you. making the mold itself takes practice I am sure you can do it.

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:01 am

You are amazing!

I wish i had half your skill and 1/4 of your time and dedication.

My suggestion is to not paint anything - you have a great acid pits theme going, i would just make it a whole adventure locale!

Always a joy to look at your posts. I love what you have done with the shorelines. I have zero time to mod right now so i am hoping that Stefan will be inspired to give us a few alternate shoreline pieces when (not if... when) he makes the open water tile pack available!

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:14 am

Thanks still and steal away... :)

The last of the GS Mods for awhile. I have to get back to working on these and figure out the flat water in straight 45 degree corner, maybe I'll just do a new sculpt. But then I need to learn how to make copies.

Creek and Puddle floor mods - Where a lot of the rocks in other mods came from.
DSCN2169p.jpg
DSCN2169p.jpg (245.88 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2170small.jpg
DSCN2170small.jpg (246.29 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Wall Creek flow starting pieces, I still need to do some work on these -
Cav Wl Mod 004.jpg
Cav Wl Mod 004.jpg (207.48 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Cav Wl Mod 005.jpg
Cav Wl Mod 005.jpg (158.18 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Cav Wl Mod 006.jpg
Cav Wl Mod 006.jpg (256.05 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Some of the floor and wall modification progress, pieces and layouts -
DSCN2293small.jpg
DSCN2293small.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2283small.jpg
DSCN2283small.jpg (206.63 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
The Convergence piece is shown in the 3rd to the last picture before the GS was installed.
DSCN2350small.jpg
DSCN2350small.jpg (239.5 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Oddball Pieces, starts and stops of the flow, however you want to use them -
DSCN2287p.jpg
DSCN2287p.jpg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2196p.jpg
DSCN2196p.jpg (206.36 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2288p.jpg
DSCN2288p.jpg (259.11 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2419small.jpg
DSCN2419small.jpg (221.49 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2417small.jpg
DSCN2417small.jpg (223.9 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2418small.jpg
DSCN2418small.jpg (237.75 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN3260p.jpg
DSCN3260p.jpg (223.13 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Passage Piece too, as shown in other pictures of layouts -
DSCN2420small.jpg
DSCN2420small.jpg (169.81 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Flow into real cavern waterways, rivers, lakes and ponds-
DSCN2166small.jpg
DSCN2166small.jpg (236.02 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2294p.jpg
DSCN2294p.jpg (200.48 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
DSCN2187p.jpg
DSCN2187p.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Lastly, in this you can see some of the heated ball tool work at waters edge. I have a lot of this to do still, but waiting to see a friend about that soldering iron still.
DSCN2426small.jpg
DSCN2426small.jpg (208.9 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
See ya'll soon. I hope. ;)