KS3 city expansion idea

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS3 city expansion idea

Post by lostpict » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 pm

That is any interesting idea. I wonder if these retro-CBS 4×4 tiles could also be sized to match the DF1 floor tile dimensions (i.e, just a pinch smaller), while retaining the posthose spacing from KS3? (Also not intending to stir the scale-gate pot.)
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 pm

arsthein wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 pm
Sorry to derail a little, but, talking about KS3 expansion...

...anyone else but me would like to see the 4x4 floors of CBS with the classic 4x4 squares patron? and the rest working the same way, only, when you put the posts and the walls, there remains half an inch square, just like in the classic resin MBS.

I know the only reason for me not getting into CBS was the 3x3 squares issue (I can be picky like that). With "real" 4x4 it would be compatible with my resin MBS, and I FOR SURE WOULD catch on purchasing CBS goodies.

Anyone else?

(Pd: not trying to renew the discussion of why it was made that way, was Stefan's choice, but just wondering if now this could be achieved with this, IMHO, simple solucion).
I think a 2x2 CBS tile set would work if you wanted to have, say, a tavern layout, floor by floor, like most people like to do, or some building of interest you would be entering. It'd be an appropriately themed add-on or second set (like sewers were for CBS) in a CBS2 KS.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Interesting idea. I'd be curious to see other people's thoughts - who'd love it so much they'd leap at the chance, who'd hate the idea that you "have to" buy more, etc.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Sorry to derail a little, but, talking about KS3 expansion...

...anyone else but me would like to see the 4x4 floors of CBS with the classic 4x4 squares patron? and the rest working the same way, only, when you put the posts and the walls, there remains half an inch square, just like in the classic resin MBS.

I know the only reason for me not getting into CBS was the 3x3 squares issue (I can be picky like that). With "real" 4x4 it would be compatible with my resin MBS, and I FOR SURE WOULD catch on purchasing CBS goodies.

Anyone else?

(Pd: not trying to renew the discussion of why it was made that way, was Stefan's choice, but just wondering if now this could be achieved with this, IMHO, simple solucion).

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:31 pm
Traditionally, gargoyles were used for, what, downspouts for gutter lines?
Yup. Otherwise, if they aren't used for downspouts then they are technically called grotesques, not gargoyles.

It's also where the word, gargle, derives.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Yeah, these are fantasy gargoyles. And the design would allow for options - use just one floor for instantly having them on the top corners of a tower. Use others where you want them, if you want them.

I am bugged by the seams, though. It's fine in cities with not too many tall structures and nothing huge. But for really high or large buildings - it starts to look bad.

Honestly you can make very similar castles out of CBS as you can out of KS4. You don't have round towers and you have to make double thick walls. But really the ks4 design feels like it's meant to make castles easier and quicker to build, and to look better, than if made with CBS. Higher walls and bigger towers - without seams. ;$

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun May 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Something tells me I'm not nearly as bothered by the seams.

I don't know if gargoyles on all four sides would be useful. I can see a floor with a pair of gargoyles on one side (for use on a straight), maybe another floor with two pairs of gargoyles on adjacent sides (for use on a corner), but that's about it. Gargoyles on every tower level would look cumbersome. Maybe just one set of gargoyles per face, or at most one every two levels.

Traditionally, gargoyles were used for, what, downspouts for gutter lines?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

KS3 city expansion idea

Post by Law » Sun May 28, 2017 9:35 am

Not sure anyone will even see this, I'll probably repeat it elsewhere at some point.

While waiting for my castles I've been making substitutes with the CBS pieces. One thing that bugs me is the seams created by having to stack so many floors. With castles, the walls are higher, and even on the towers the floors are inside the walls so the seam is less disruptive.

In devising remedies for this I had a thought: new stone floor pieces. The basic floor would have two gargoyles jutting out from the .25 inch (or whatever the width) of the side of the floor, the part that gets covered up when floor pieces are next to each other. There would be two on each side. That way when you stacked CBS cubes built on these, you'd have eight gargoyles, two on each corner, drawing attention away from the seam of the floor itself (or justifying it) and making the tower look really awesome.

And a variant floor could have gargoyles on just one side, so it can still be placed alongside other floors.

A pack with like 2 floors that have gargoyles on all sides and a few floors with a smaller number would be great.

DF, I'm sure, would want a magnet or peg system with six different possible gargoyle attachments, but I'm old school and keep it simple. Back in my day we didn't have magnet or plug in alternatives to the mermaid fountain or the demon faced archway - those were our designs and we loved them. ;) I don't want more pieces to fiddle with and have to install - I just want quick and easy, assemble and stack the cubes and presto cool gargoyles at the corners. Make CBS towers have a lot more pizzazz.