Ice Caves

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ice Caves

Post by dice4hire » Mon May 15, 2017 8:57 am

I used the Tamiya clear blue on mine and it came out great. Put on as much of that as you wish.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

Harneloot wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:04 am
OK, thanks Biowizard!

I am using the Freak Flex transparent Teal paint film as suggested by Unclebilly. Any idea how what the ratio of water to paint drops should be? More than 1:1 I am guessing?
I have not used Freak Flex transparent paint so I am hesitant to recommend a ratio. I recommend adding a very small amount of water at a time, too much will ruin the paint. I use a water color plate and a eyedropper until I get it right. Wash the tile with dish soap first. You are trying to add color to a clear plastic/PVC tile.A paint wash is usually used over paint.

To make your own wash with with Dwarven Forge brand paint use floor wax as the thinner.

This will cover unprimed plastic.One drop Pledge one drop paint.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon May 15, 2017 7:04 am

OK, thanks Biowizard!

I am using the Freak Flex transparent Teal paint film as suggested by Unclebilly. Any idea how what the ratio of water to paint drops should be? More than 1:1 I am guessing?

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun May 14, 2017 9:48 pm

From what I understand you are experiencing Harneloot, you absolutely need to dilute you teal paint with LOTs of water before starting to apply. It is much easier to prepare a lot of it in advance then to try to make little batches as needed with your paint brush. What you want to do is called a "wash". Very dilute paint will run into cracks and recesses and leave more paint there. Its very dilute state will leave a transparent color to your pieces, an effect that you are aiming for. You can even add some "flow aid" additive to your paint+water mix but that is not strictly needed. Let it dry thoroughly before a applying a "dry brush" at later stages.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sun May 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I have finally worked up the courage to try my hand at painted my ice caverns as some have in this thread. I got some transparent Teal paint and some brushes. I put newspaper down on the counter. I squeezed out a few drops of paint and started applying it to the bottom of the unpainted tile. The first two came out way darker then the rest, then my brush started getting all mushy kinda with clumps of bristles going everywhere and then I stopped. I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Am I suppose to wet the brush first with water or anything or just start painting with a dry brush dunked in paint? (this is what I did)

2. The directions on the bottle do not indicate to do so, but should I be adding any water to the paint?

3. How much paint should be applied? I think my first few are way too dark compared to the pictures posted by unclebilly in this thread, but I am not sure why they came out darker than my subsequent ones.

Thanks everyone, as you can tell I am TRULY a novice painter!

GardenDM
Orc
Orc

Post by GardenDM » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am

Heresy wrote:Here are mine painted with Reaper Ice Blue, dry brushed with Gloss White and sealed with a wash of Blue ink and Pledge (kind of hard to see here but very glossy.)
I like this one a lot too! To me it's more of a "frosty" or magically frozen cave than a cave made out of ice. Just goes to show how much flexibility we have with this set and painting technique to create totally different settings.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:26 am

Heresy, that is kind of how I was going to paint them. I have some of the Reaper Ice Blue. Although I think your tiles look great I am now leaning toward using the teal tint. I like how it lets more light through. I am also really liking the look of the teal floor transitioning into white walls. I would have never thought to do that, and it sounds like it was not what Unclebilly was planning to do originally. Please don't get me wrong I think the Reaper Ice Blue looks great. Thanks to everyone who posts pictures. I love looking at all of them.

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Kryzsko wrote:Unclebilly, did you try sealing your tiles with a gloss clear coat after applying the teal tint to prevent the teal from bleeding through?
I did not try this. But I did think of it after I was all done with them :lol: I did have 2 tiles that where soaking in Greenstuff to remove the paint. When I got them out instead of doing them like the others I tried a Dark blue freak Flex paint in the bottom and then painted the entire tile of the other one with the Freak Flex blue. Once I allowed the Freak Flex to dry over 24 hours it no longer blended in with the white when I dry brushed it. The only problem I found was that it was just to "Blue" for my liking. So they are now back soaking in Greenstuff.

Heresy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Heresy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Here are mine painted with Reaper Ice Blue, dry brushed with Gloss White and sealed with a wash of Blue ink and Pledge (kind of hard to see here but very glossy.)

Bossman
Orc
Orc

Post by Bossman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:30 pm

These are all great tutorials. Sometime ago someone else also posted a tutorial which was a bit more blue than the teal but also included a blue wash. It also looked great. I can't find that old thread. Can anyone resurrect it? Cheers