Ice Caves

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ice Caves

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:18 pm

unclebilly beat me to it. I used Pokorny Bubbles Blue, though. It works well. That Freak Flex looks neat, though.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

I painted only the under part of my tiles with Freak Flex Teal. Then did a dry bush on the other side (the normal playing side). You can get Freak Flex from here http://www.freakflexpaint.com/paint.html

This is the under side as you can see here all the Freak Flex does once it has dryed is colored the tile a light transparent teal color.

Once the under side is dry then I added the white Pokorny Dry brush to the upper side. That gave it a snow look with a nice icy blue bottom to it.

The only thing I need to do now is add water effects to the little pools.
Last edited by unclebilly on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

I'll do a short tutorial up tonight... but in the meantime, all it takes is the Pokorny Teal (I don't know what it's exact name is since I'm not at home). Just paint it on the bottom and you can use a sponge or paper towel to dab off spots if you want a bit more variation rather than a solid colour... or just do some stippling with your paintbrush for a similar effect.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm

I gave several sets of unpainted I have been using that way, but this seems easy enough that even *I*, as uncrafty as I am, might try it! Do you have a good source for the transparent Teal? Did you apply to bottom only - no edges? Thanks!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Try teal instead of blue.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 am

Those are pretty cool. Just tonight I was revisiting my one paint sample I did for Ice Caverns. I originally just did a Blue wash (Les Wash recipe) with a hint of white dry brushing as seen in picture 1. Then tonight I tried painting a blue on the underside of that piece (picture 2). It turned out WAY more blue than I expected and looks too ocean-like for ice caves.

Just wondering if you guys have opinions on the direction I'm going. After looking at pictures of real ice caves I was surprised how much blue was present. My intention was some blue with only a bit of white surfaces to show detail. I plan on stripping the added dark blue from the bottom of the piece as I prefer the original version.
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG (396.9 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG (387.93 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Beautiful. Just gorgeous. I really like the look from the sides. Seriously looks like deep ice beneath. You've inspired me to finally unpack and paint mine that I have yet to open. Now, I just need to find the time. /sigh
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Yea I used Freak Flex Transparents Teal on the underside of them. Then did a heavy dry brush with Pokorny white on the top side. That keep the teal from bleeding into the white when I tied to dry brush. I saw yours on a post on FB someplace a got the idea from yours.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:40 pm

This is the way I painted mine, as well. I really like the look. Yours turned out great!

JalanDa
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JalanDa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:28 pm

nice