Ice Caves

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Ice Caves

Post by LordDust » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm

ebrandeis wrote:I have no idea about how ice caves actually work, but the different colored ice walls and floor make my mind think that there's an organic process at work. Either something happened over time that differentiates the walls and floors, or there are layers involved, or temperature difference, etc.

I have no idea if that reflects reality at all, but it feels right and that's probably a good enough for the table. :)
It is a process that happens to a glacier, so you already have the color variance you would see in a glacier. Then the melting of sections creates the cavern, which can cut across layers. There can also be refreezing of portions as well. It certainly makes for some gorgeous, eerie, and awe inspiring vistas.

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:26 pm

I have no idea about how ice caves actually work, but the different colored ice walls and floor make my mind think that there's an organic process at work. Either something happened over time that differentiates the walls and floors, or there are layers involved, or temperature difference, etc.

I have no idea if that reflects reality at all, but it feels right and that's probably a good enough for the table. :)

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 am

I agree. I like it because it helps to separate the floor from the walls, as well, so that they don't all blend in together. That idea of separating the floors from the walls is something I want to go back and try on my dungeon tiles, as well.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 am

I think they turned out great. I think the pieces looking more white as you go up the wall looks more visually interesting than if the pieces were all teal with a white dry brush. It keeps it from looking too monotonous. Thanks for posting, and the link to the clear teal paint.

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:44 pm

This is why I went with teal and not blue. I was trying to get as close to this as I could. I just wish I could have gotten more teal on the wall but every time I tried the teal on the walls with a follow up white dry brush. The dry brush stated to pick up some of the teal paint and it then taint the white with some of the teal and I would end up with a very light white teal dry brush. So I settled on what I did so it came as close as I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzDkpYiLoI

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Quick (what may be a dumb) question: Is the Freak Flex paint only for airbrush use or can I use it with a normal paint brush too?

Thanks!

Edit: NM - did some research on-line and seems it is usable with brushes too. See, told ya I was a non-painter! :oops:

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:58 pm

The teal looks good, and many real world images have teal colored ice caves. But I've seen some very blue looking ones, and I think that just looks cooler. I will try it with heavier white drybrushing on the ground though.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks unclebilly - I am going to try it! This will be my very first painting anything foray!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:09 am

unclebilly wrote:Now if DF would make more tiles transparent like this. I would love to have a water set that I could do this to.
First, nice tiles, those results are great! Secondly, I second that sentiment! I would love more cavern tiles in clear and a water set in clear. Both ice and magma can be done pretty well with these. You could also do a few other interesting things with the clear water tiles I think.

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Now if DF would make more tiles transparent like this. I would love to have a water set that I could do this to.