Ice Caves

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Ice Caves

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm
I painted only the under part of my tiles with Freak Flex Teal. Then did a dry bush on the other side (the normal playing side). You can get Freak Flex from here http://www.freakflexpaint.com/paint.html

This is the under side as you can see here all the Freak Flex does once it has dryed is colored the tile a light transparent teal color.

The only thing I need to do now is add water effects to the little pools.
I think you're insane, Billy, but its a lovely insanity.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon May 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Ok, thanks! I am off to the grocer for some Pledge floor polish!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm
Thank you for the advice about washing the tile first and the pictures! I am curious why pledge and not water to thin the paint Oldent? Does that help it stick to the unpainted PVC?
The floor wax is an acrylic binder.When you thin the paint with water you thin the binder. I usually make washes with one part paint, one part water and one part floor wax. When painting directly over plastic I think less or no water is better. Tamiya clear blue is formulated to paint directly over plastic so it is a very good choice if you can find it.

The older bottle still has the Future brand name on it.Magic or Future wash is what the old guys used to call it.
Woodland Scenic pigment does not have a binder. It is designed to use with matt medium. So of course matt medium will also work. Matt medium also is way less glossy.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you for the advice about washing the tile first and the pictures! I am curious why pledge and not water to thin the paint Oldent? Does that help it stick to the unpainted PVC?

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 am

I used it as is, a very deep rich blue
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 am

dice4hire wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:57 am
I used the Tamiya clear blue on mine and it came out great. Put on as much of that as you wish.
I like that brand too. Sometimes it is hard to find.You have to use paint thinner or solvent to dilute it.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Mon May 15, 2017 8:57 am

I used the Tamiya clear blue on mine and it came out great. Put on as much of that as you wish.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

Harneloot wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:04 am
OK, thanks Biowizard!

I am using the Freak Flex transparent Teal paint film as suggested by Unclebilly. Any idea how what the ratio of water to paint drops should be? More than 1:1 I am guessing?
I have not used Freak Flex transparent paint so I am hesitant to recommend a ratio. I recommend adding a very small amount of water at a time, too much will ruin the paint. I use a water color plate and a eyedropper until I get it right. Wash the tile with dish soap first. You are trying to add color to a clear plastic/PVC tile.A paint wash is usually used over paint.

To make your own wash with with Dwarven Forge brand paint use floor wax as the thinner.

This will cover unprimed plastic.One drop Pledge one drop paint.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon May 15, 2017 7:04 am

OK, thanks Biowizard!

I am using the Freak Flex transparent Teal paint film as suggested by Unclebilly. Any idea how what the ratio of water to paint drops should be? More than 1:1 I am guessing?

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun May 14, 2017 9:48 pm

From what I understand you are experiencing Harneloot, you absolutely need to dilute you teal paint with LOTs of water before starting to apply. It is much easier to prepare a lot of it in advance then to try to make little batches as needed with your paint brush. What you want to do is called a "wash". Very dilute paint will run into cracks and recesses and leave more paint there. Its very dilute state will leave a transparent color to your pieces, an effect that you are aiming for. You can even add some "flow aid" additive to your paint+water mix but that is not strictly needed. Let it dry thoroughly before a applying a "dry brush" at later stages.