YE PAYNTE PROJEYCT I - FINAL REPORT

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: YE PAYNTE PROJEYCT I - FINAL REPORT

Post by jchunick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 pm

GriffinTamer wrote:Sounds like a great event! Makes me think I should have done something like that, rather than spend a zillion hours painting on my own. I think I'm just too much of a perfectionist though, and not sure all my friends could be trusted to color inside the lines… Though I am very much looking forward to teaching my brother's twins to paint on his still-unpainted KS1 and 2 sets. :lol:
If ever I come visit you we'll have to do some painting together. I'm sure you could trust me to do a good job... I'm very much like you... it was difficult to let my daughter paint up some of my Bones minis and DF accessories at 5 years old, but I managed - and she did a decent job.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Sounds like a great event! Makes me think I should have done something like that, rather than spend a zillion hours painting on my own. I think I'm just too much of a perfectionist though, and not sure all my friends could be trusted to color inside the lines… Though I am very much looking forward to teaching my brother's twins to paint on his still-unpainted KS1 and 2 sets. :lol:

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:51 am

Wow, that's great!
I've had a few groups get-togethers, but nothing that large or efficient.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:Pictures!
Pictures, I will. But quite a bit later, Spiropoulous. I'm under the gun on two deadlines.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Pictures!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Very cool!
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes, thanks for the story! This is the kind of stuff that inspires me (and probably others). It sounded like a multi-generational success! :D
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:23 am

My son and I usually tag team our DF painting...but 15 painters? Wow.

And what's cool is next time they play on that DF they'll have a connection. Great story.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

YE PAYNTE PROJEYCT I - FINAL REPORT

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:26 am

Wow.

We planned this forever but finally got the group together.

I run four campaigns (Dragonfire, Eldest Offspring and his friends, now in college, eight in number; DF Junior, Youngest Offspring & his friends, seven of them; DF Senior, people my age, six of them; and a VSF campaign with eight players - total of 29 players, four campaigns). I'm happy to report that ultimately we had fifteen players show up to paint - absolutely all I could accommodate in the prepared Kriegzimmer. The KZ was packed.

I also had an expert painter friend to teach and supervise the simple paint scheme for my Dungeon Tiles. I had 1240 pieces to paint. My expert and I met for the last time Friday night, and fixed the paint scheme - very simple, two colors over a spray of Uniform Grey Army Builder primer. Unfortunately after about a dozen samples, my buddy decided we needed to use Cavern Base instead of the previous color.

Kudos here to DwF and DF Suzy in particular. At 1300 my time Friday, Suzy persuaded the post office to accept a slightly late overnight order for two more Cavern Base Pokorny paints. Damn good thing Suzy is so efficient - we ran out just as the postman delivered the overnight!

My buddy and I figured we could output 1 piece per minute per painter. That worked out to 3.2 painting hours, figuring a 10 minute break every hour.

We finished all 420 walls in 58 minutes! And we got all the corners, angle walls and floors in another hour. The doors etc took a lot longer, but only b/cthe painters said they wanted to detail a lot of the pieces. They were getting into it.

NET: We got all 1240 pieces painted in four actual painting hours. The process took all day, with coconut curry chicken and horsy doovers for lunch, and rib eye steak, potatoes and fixin's for dinner.

I figure I spent $350 on the project, and saved $1500 by buying unpainted. And my players had a chance to mix members of all three campaigns. Fun was had, despite the boring Chinese factory repetititveness of mass painting.

My pieces are not the equal of the great paint jobs I see listed here on the Forum by most of the painting Trogs, but I have a complete set - working - wargame terrain. And my players are enthusiastic about painting my prox 2000 Cavern Tiles, despite the fact that will take Friday night and a full weekend.

I'm buying unpainted KS4, now that I know how much production we can make, how fast.

Except those darned accessory sets....those I buy painted!

I encourage you to try a Paynte Projeyct!! And the Pokorny paints are a joy to work with, especially drybrushing. They do not clog the brush as quickly as any other paint I've used.

Happy Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Est....but maybe a little less now.
WeaselWarGod