Dwarvenite Mines

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite Mines

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:22 am

The things I would want from Dwarvenite mines is walls that look like they were picked at and veins of ore done in a way that they could also be used as cavern walls, piles of small an large crystals/gems, piles of ore and piles of rubble that can also be used as cave ins.
Then after all of the above I would like mine floor tiles that had ruts instead of modern metal rails. Tiles with ruts could be used as small road tiles for out side adventures or old roads in ancient cities.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am

jackattack wrote:I found it infuriating. Must be me.
No, not just you. I was angry as well, but as time passes,usually so does wrath and it turns into something else.
jackattack wrote: I still like the idea of ruts worn into stone. This can be modded with two parallel lines of paint, by scraping the tiles with a tool, or by careful application of a fine dremel bit.
I like this thought a lot. It doesn't match the fantasy idea of what dwarven mines should look like. Historical is important, but what people associate with mines still need to be considered, whether they are accurate or not. For instance there never has been an elf, historically one has never existed, but we still have minis of them. Same could be said for the fantasy mines, at least to a point. (RE: point on elves could be argued by those living in Iceland :) )
jackattack wrote:I'm also not sold on intersections.

Agreed.
jackattack wrote:Since we typically attribute the invention/use of metal rails to dwarves or gnomes, why couldn't there be a single track (or rut) instead of two?

Maybe the cart is actually a wheelbarrow with just the one wheel. Maybe the wheels on one side of the cart go on a rail, and the wheels on the other side are standard wagon wheels. Maybe mine carts have standard wheels on the sides, and (a) special guide wheel(s) in the center of the axle(s) underneath.

Maybe the "rail" is a wide feature actually made of raised stone or earth or embedded wooden beams/ties/logs and the cart's "wheels" are actually big spools (one at each end).

I think this idea may have a lot going for it:
Cool idea, but perhaps jumps too far away from what others view as a mine. Similar to what I stated above. However this is not to say that the mine couldn't have strong dwarven influences in design that would really add to the theme.
jackattack wrote:1) It avoids the need for parallel rails to have exact tolerances for aesthetic or mechanical purposes.
2) It is a unique (?) design that differentiates it from other similarly-themed products.
3) Users would have the option (with rails on floor tiles) of putting rails beside each other at varying distances, implying the use of larger wagons or even huge trains.

Does this make any sense? Would drawings help?
Drawings always help. Would love to see it in resin.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 am

I would like to see dwarvenite mines, but don't particularly care for tracked carts. What I really want to see are carved & shored walls, mine face glittering with mithral, elevator, hoists, piles of worked gems, 3D depth, etc.

OBTW, I have some of the unfortunately recast tracks and carts from Psom and the Yakima Mine from Ainsty.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 am

I found it infuriating. Must be me.

Since I have a dead horse... mine tracks!

I still like the idea of ruts worn into stone. This can be modded with two parallel lines of paint, by scraping the tiles with a tool, or by careful application of a fine dremel bit.

I don't believe mine tracks (or carts) need to be functional. But if the tracks must be done as metal rails, allow me point out that wooden ties and raised beds were only used where there was no stable or even surface to secure a metal rail. On a smooth stone floor, iron spikes would been driven directly into the stone to hold the rails.

I'm also not sold on intersections.

------------

And here's something I just thought of while writing this post.

Since we typically attribute the invention/use of metal rails to dwarves or gnomes, why couldn't there be a single track (or rut) instead of two?

Maybe the cart is actually a wheelbarrow with just the one wheel. Maybe the wheels on one side of the cart go on a rail, and the wheels on the other side are standard wagon wheels. Maybe mine carts have standard wheels on the sides, and (a) special guide wheel(s) in the center of the axle(s) underneath.

Maybe the "rail" is a wide feature actually made of raised stone or earth or embedded wooden beams/ties/logs and the cart's "wheels" are actually big spools (one at each end).

I think this idea may have a lot going for it:
1) It avoids the need for parallel rails to have exact tolerances for aesthetic or mechanical purposes.
2) It is a unique (?) design that differentiates it from other similarly-themed products.
3) Users would have the option (with rails on floor tiles) of putting rails beside each other at varying distances, implying the use of larger wagons or even huge trains.

The drawbacks include:
1) It might not be as useful for RW/historical settings unless it sticks to metal rails that can be used in tandem (side by side).
2) Curves for tandem rails would not match up outside of a certain distance apart. One rail only needs a standard curve. A second rail set next to the first needs a wider curve. Every blank tile used between two parallel rails (every unit of separation) requires a still wider curve for one of the two rails.

Does this make any sense? Would drawings help?

Are there advantages or disadvantages that make or break this idea? Is there a way to improve or fix this idea?

Does this inspire a different idea that hasn't been discussed yet?

Let me know.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 pm

The whole pirate issue was really sad to read.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:51 am

jackattack wrote:A miniatures terrain producer in Europe who closed up shop early in 2016 due to life events (new baby and move) and product piracy.
Yeah, I came close to ordering painted sets from him numerous times. Kicking myself now that I never did!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am

A miniatures terrain producer in Europe who closed up shop early in 2016 due to life events (new baby and move) and product piracy.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 am

jchunick wrote:I don't think there's any need to have the rails embedded either. But I have both the resin mining tracks from Psom that are embedded in a bit of a raised mound, and just the track pieces from the Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter. Here is what they each look like:

all-mine-pieces-800x775.jpg

mine-track-twisting-catacombs-KS.jpg

I like both, but I would say that the Psom stuff is much easier to lay down and have it say where it's placed. I know that I'm going to have to figure out a system for the twisting catacombs track... maybe base the tracks like how they're done with the Psom ones.
Who is Psom link please ?

PrincesofPilbarra
Kobold
Kobold

Post by PrincesofPilbarra » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:50 am

This is really interesting one. These are the things which I some times watch in cartons or media channels.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Mon May 30, 2016 10:35 pm

bernyleung wrote:I think the best way to do mines for sake of modularity would be a new base 4x4 cavern floor sculpts with a magnetic plate in it, and then a series of free-standing wall and accessory sculpts with a metal strip base that can stick on the surface. Free-standing cavern sculpt walls can be standard vertical or any type of angle. Free-standing floor accessories can include rubble, cart tracks, stalagmites/columns, etc. Mine carts themselves won't need metal/magnet inserts.
As interesting as this sounds, I don't think it would work out very well. Modding would be very difficult on something that has metal plates in it. Don't get me wrong, I like where you're going with this, but not certain this is the exact strategy that needs to be used. I somewhat like the idea better of the partitioned areas that jackattack mentioned. Mimicking the den of evil sets. This allows for easy intersection use, and just increased modularity overall.