Dwarvenite Mines

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite Mines

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm

jackattack wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 am
I found it infuriating. Must be me.

Since I have a dead horse... mine tracks!

I still like the idea of ruts worn into stone. This can be modded with two parallel lines of paint, by scraping the tiles with a tool, or by careful application of a fine dremel bit.

I don't believe mine tracks (or carts) need to be functional. But if the tracks must be done as metal rails, allow me point out that wooden ties and raised beds were only used where there was no stable or even surface to secure a metal rail. On a smooth stone floor, iron spikes would been driven directly into the stone to hold the rails.

I'm also not sold on intersections.

------------

And here's something I just thought of while writing this post.

Since we typically attribute the invention/use of metal rails to dwarves or gnomes, why couldn't there be a single track (or rut) instead of two?

Maybe the cart is actually a wheelbarrow with just the one wheel. Maybe the wheels on one side of the cart go on a rail, and the wheels on the other side are standard wagon wheels. Maybe mine carts have standard wheels on the sides, and (a) special guide wheel(s) in the center of the axle(s) underneath.

Maybe the "rail" is a wide feature actually made of raised stone or earth or embedded wooden beams/ties/logs and the cart's "wheels" are actually big spools (one at each end).

I think this idea may have a lot going for it:
1) It avoids the need for parallel rails to have exact tolerances for aesthetic or mechanical purposes.
2) It is a unique (?) design that differentiates it from other similarly-themed products.
3) Users would have the option (with rails on floor tiles) of putting rails beside each other at varying distances, implying the use of larger wagons or even huge trains.

The drawbacks include:
1) It might not be as useful for RW/historical settings unless it sticks to metal rails that can be used in tandem (side by side).
2) Curves for tandem rails would not match up outside of a certain distance apart. One rail only needs a standard curve. A second rail set next to the first needs a wider curve. Every blank tile used between two parallel rails (every unit of separation) requires a still wider curve for one of the two rails.

Does this make any sense? Would drawings help?

Are there advantages or disadvantages that make or break this idea? Is there a way to improve or fix this idea?

Does this inspire a different idea that hasn't been discussed yet?

Let me know.

JackAttack,the non-traditional rails idea is fab. Run with this!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Mushu_Green
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Mushu_Green » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Oops didn't see this thread, so i'll copy paste it here haha, sorry :P I also thought of a mine DF set, but also coupled with a dwarven city and some underdark part to bring a full place to life, instead of "just" some mines.

"
Following the hype of this wonderful campaign, my mind went full gear and explored some possibilities for a future KS. AS you can see from the title, a dwarven mine, with city and a following world of caverns and trecherous terrain further below the working area.

Here is a little sketch with a list of things i thought would be nice

Dwarven city :

Different district for each interest of the city, one for the workers, vendors, habitations, religion, barracks, etc etc
Forge
Taverns
Temple
Houses
Etc

A big bridge (who doesn't love bridges) with guard towers

Mines with, possibly, working rail set for wagons and other things.
Wooden rail structure for 3d?
Possibility to have rock with wood beams for the tunnels and wooden plank walls for quarters or workers more common area
LED torch walls
Cave in?

Caverns with trecherous terrains
LED/Luminescent mushroom for lighthing effect?
Water fall with a passage underneath?
Underground river
Revisit of the old cavern set. "

What do you think? :) (i personally would love caverns with green/blue LED shrooms giving a nice dim light)

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 am

William, not wrong, just not right. The game is an absolute hoot.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Sooooo, I was totally wrong.. :lol:
Looks like a lot of fun.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm

William, the brass represent empties in the guns, red poker chips are bleeding wounds (which can kill), white poker chips are brawl wounds (can knock out but not kill), and blue are miscellaneous reminders.

Each player has a gang, the Cowboys in the gang are worth 1 to 5 cards, for a total of 10 action cards per gang, cards are dealt, cowboys activate based on strength of poker hand, one action per card in an interweaved fashion. Combat resolution (& everything else) resolved using a separate combat deck held by the dealer which takes into account range, cover, hit location mishaps, and critical success. Using cards makes for fast paced action and no slow downs as folks search for dice abd figuring out hit rolls. Rules called The Movie Cowboy game. Running a Zorro game at Historicon this Friday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 2916985876

Last edited by lostpict on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

lostpict, looks like a fun wild west adventure.
Three questions, what are the playing cards, cartridge casings and poker chips representing?
Cartridge casings I assume is dropped ammo and the poker chips would be dropped money, but why the cards? Must be something instead of dice?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

I have that Ainsty mine. Here are some agressive negotaions regarding ownership rights:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 539927571/
Last edited by lostpict on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Aintsy has had a mine set for quite a while. With tracks too.

http://ainstycastings.co.uk/index.php/c ... 3it2nnjqh3

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Some examples :

In the past, the french company PSOMINIATURES did a mine set + an elevation and railroad sets :
http://lessouterrainsoublies.fr/Decors3 ... Mines.html

Recently the italian company MINI WORLDS did something better :
http://lessouterrainsoublies.fr/Decors3 ... Mines.html

I own both but the second is better to me because it responds exactly to what I wanted : passages, modular rooms, a wooden lift and of course railroads.

So mines for DF okay but it must has a different look to convince me. I see something compatible with the erinthor moutain & cavern sets already released with a large entrance, a secret entrance, large rooms, a wooden bridge crossing a chasm, chains etc.

bambarini

Post by bambarini » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 am

I like both too
I really like to play any games because all of them are very interesting and picturesque