Dwarvenite Mines

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: Dwarvenite Mines

Post by marcoreds » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 am

Here are a few pictures of a build with Miniworlds mines, I put it together fast just to take the pictures and show it (please forgive the hasty placement, I didn't place them absolutely precisely and tight).
Foto 15-07-17, 14 52 17.jpg
Foto 15-07-17, 14 52 17.jpg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Foto 15-07-17, 14 50 46.jpg
Foto 15-07-17, 14 50 46.jpg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Foto 15-07-17, 14 50 56.jpg
Foto 15-07-17, 14 50 56.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Foto 15-07-17, 14 51 43.jpg
Foto 15-07-17, 14 51 43.jpg (109.09 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Foto 15-07-17, 14 51 53.jpg
Foto 15-07-17, 14 51 53.jpg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
I did not get the rails since I never use them in games.

Probably a mine like this ovelaps a bit with caverns, but it does have it's own flavour...

The tiles are resin, so not as "indestructible" as dwarvenite tiles for sure, but I like them a lot :-)

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 am

jackattack wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 pm
I think we touched on the idea of a few accessory pieces to add mine components to the existing caverns sets earlier in the thread. A rough-hewn alcove, corner, and passage (with dead end) and you've got your cave(rn)-based mine.

Have we considered the idea of mines being done similar to Burrows? The short walls wouldn't need to show metals or minerals, since those would be in the unsculpted negative space. If the floor had a rough gravel texture, it would be very easy for customers to add rough/uncut gems or nuggets of precious metal to the floor with a paintbrush, in whatever color (combination) and amount desired.
"A rough-hewn alcove, corner, and passage (with dead end) and you've got your cave(rn)-based mine."
That is the way I have been approaching that kind of scenario. I think of mines like passageways.
I think the new passage way concept would work best with track. I really like the Idea of hand dug prospector mines following a vein. Burrows style has a lot of potential :!:

I have to paint the burro and some more track. I have put an accessory pack together. I am going to make some loads for the wheel barrows. Iam going to add a Folk Art gem finish and some gold nugget glitter.

I am going to finish the cart with a dark brown wash.

I will make a few wood mine passages but I like the rock wall better.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 pm

I think we touched on the idea of a few accessory pieces to add mine components to the existing caverns sets earlier in the thread. A rough-hewn alcove, corner, and passage (with dead end) and you've got your cave(rn)-based mine.

Have we considered the idea of mines being done similar to Burrows? The short walls wouldn't need to show metals or minerals, since those would be in the unsculpted negative space. If the floor had a rough gravel texture, it would be very easy for customers to add rough/uncut gems or nuggets of precious metal to the floor with a paintbrush, in whatever color (combination) and amount desired.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

William wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm
I think the single rail with two rear wagon wheels would be very unique. Easy one rail centered on a tile with grooves or worn wheel patches on either side. And imagine the cool sculpt for the "wagons" Stefan and crew would come up with. Maybe a few different type of wagons for various hauling. Bucket types for ore and flat-beds for materials, possibly even a specially made barrel wagon. Many possibilities.

They could do raised bridges with say 8 foot wide solid planked walkways with the single rail running down the middle and worn places where the 2 wagon wheels run. Then also some areas the bridges could be more open with a single rail with two sluice type box rails for the wagon wheels with the cross supports every 5 feet or so. Maybe those three "rail/2 box-rail" type bridges would be for straight runs and the full plank areas where there are curves raised over open stretches. Then I would be O.K. with tight turns because the wheels wouldn't bind. I always look at some of the rails other terrain companies have made and hate how tight the turns are. Those would never work in the real world, but if the back wheels were not bound to a rail damn near any turn is possible.

I'll have to sketch some of these ideas out soon. My mind is on fire with ideas... :lol:
A Mind is a terrible thing to burn

the Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Having a mispent youth getting in shape for the military, I spent 6 months as a ditchdigger. The thing I learned was that wheelbarrows were created by the devil and carts by the angels. You can manhandle a wheelbarrow full of gravel, stone or rocks, but they will flip over in a moment on loose talus or in mud. Two wheel carts are slightly less maneuverable, but far more stable. I don't think it would take miners long to figure this out. So tracks or ruts, I suspect they would come in pairs.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm

The only "Mines" I use in my games are just caves that mining is being done. All I need to turn a cave into a mine is some picks a pushcart/wheelbarrow. I never use tracks although I have some from the Twisted Catacombs KS. I have no interest in mines but am fine if DF does them for those who do.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:18 pm

William wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:57 pm
"You so funny." Accent intended. :lol:
Where do you store all that "useful" information. ;)
You must mean the shoe box under the bed. ;)

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:57 pm

"You so funny." Accent intended. :lol:
Where do you store all that "useful" information. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I am saddened buy the news that the Acme Tool and Unicycle has closed. I understand the downturn in monorail sales caused Mr Erwin Undershoe to pursue a lucrative contact for screen doors for Submarines.He clearly failed to see the future will be Lead Zeppelins. If he had only converted his unicycles to steam and pursued a military contract he would be in business today. :(

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm

I think the single rail with two rear wagon wheels would be very unique. Easy one rail centered on a tile with grooves or worn wheel patches on either side. And imagine the cool sculpt for the "wagons" Stefan and crew would come up with. Maybe a few different type of wagons for various hauling. Bucket types for ore and flat-beds for materials, possibly even a specially made barrel wagon. Many possibilities.

They could do raised bridges with say 8 foot wide solid planked walkways with the single rail running down the middle and worn places where the 2 wagon wheels run. Then also some areas the bridges could be more open with a single rail with two sluice type box rails for the wagon wheels with the cross supports every 5 feet or so. Maybe those three "rail/2 box-rail" type bridges would be for straight runs and the full plank areas where there are curves raised over open stretches. Then I would be O.K. with tight turns because the wheels wouldn't bind. I always look at some of the rails other terrain companies have made and hate how tight the turns are. Those would never work in the real world, but if the back wheels were not bound to a rail damn near any turn is possible.

I'll have to sketch some of these ideas out soon. My mind is on fire with ideas... :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )