Crystal Caverns Revisited

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Crystal Caverns Revisited

Post by jackattack » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:01 am

I believe that is a very cunning paint job that over opaque resin or plastic.

How does a light wash in a similar color affect the lighting of a transparent/translucent piece? (A light blue wash with a blue LED, for example.)
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:48 am

Oldent wrote:I have been a fan of ArmorCast from the beginning. I knew they had some crystals so I looked to see what might be new.
The wall of crystals

Concerning Basalt

My supplies from demand products and Hotwire Factory arrived today.I may be able to start on a jig/template to make some shortly.
Interesting layout (wall), are they translucent? I can't tell from the pic.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 pm

I have been a fan of ArmorCast from the beginning. I knew they had some crystals so I looked to see what might be new.
The wall of crystals

Concerning Basalt

My supplies from demand products and Hotwire Factory arrived today.I may be able to start on a jig/template to make some shortly.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:38 pm

I'm going to give this a try.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:44 am

Have not done much with the Ice cavern set. I decided to try a red LED.

Gray felt under the tile.

The micro red LED is from Woodland Scenics. The red coffie stirrers make good torches. They also make it easy to tread wires through drill holes.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Runeweaver wrote:I'm sold. Excellent shots. I'm going to pick up some gallery glass and experiment some with it.
I recently used some purple Gallery glass for under dark. I did not take a photo.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm sold. Excellent shots. I'm going to pick up some gallery glass and experiment some with it.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks for reposting those! That gives a decent idea of what I'm talking about. This kind of thing setup over an LED light box with velvet or felt to cover the bits not covered by tiles could work, or putting LEDs into some pieces can also work. I would suppose that the effect is more impressive in person than it is in the photos. In my experience it isn't easy to fully capture the look of light effects. You have mentioned the Gallery Glass paint before, I'll be looking into getting some as soon as I can get my hands on enough clear pieces. I think it has the result I'm looking for on the parts that won't get traditional paint.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Runeweaver wrote:
LordDust wrote:This is talk going in the directions I'm most interested in. One thing I have wondered about: if I put a bit of metallic and reflective paint down on areas I want painted, then cover it over with a paint job, will that help with heightening the results of an LED inserted lower down in the piece? The hope is that it will help reflect some of the LED and create a more varied and intense glow. I think it is worth trying (not as a sales item, but as something done to icinite at home). My main issue is the current selection of clear pieces is too limited to do much with. I think it could be awesome for lava, glowing crystals, or even a mystical ice cavern.
Oh man. Come on somebody with the spare pieces to attempt this! This sounds just too cool.
I tried this experiment with the ice tiles when I first purchased them.

I used Gallery Glass on the bottom. I dry brushed the top side with black and dry brushed the black primer with grays.

I filled the bottom of the tile with yellow gallery glass and let it cure.

I dry brushed a base coat of black and highlighted the black as normal. Red Gallery glass was added to the cracks in the top of the tile. The LED flashlight was too bright.

This is Gallery glass added to opaque tiles.

The metallic paint is an idea I have not tried.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 pm

LordDust wrote:This is talk going in the directions I'm most interested in. One thing I have wondered about: if I put a bit of metallic and reflective paint down on areas I want painted, then cover it over with a paint job, will that help with heightening the results of an LED inserted lower down in the piece? The hope is that it will help reflect some of the LED and create a more varied and intense glow. I think it is worth trying (not as a sales item, but as something done to icinite at home). My main issue is the current selection of clear pieces is too limited to do much with. I think it could be awesome for lava, glowing crystals, or even a mystical ice cavern.
Oh man. Come on somebody with the spare pieces to attempt this! This sounds just too cool.