Expanding GameTiles Caverns

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Expanding GameTiles Caverns

Post by Oldent » Tue May 24, 2016 7:27 pm

LordDust wrote:I would also like to see the waterway tiles duplicated in clear resin. You can still paint the shores but then you have options for the waterway. You can use gel paints or glass paints to make them translucent so they can be lit from below for magma effects, glowing swamps, etc. If you have fancy enough lighting solutions you can skip the colors and use colored light to create effects if you like.
I don't like the 2" by 2" river sections so I did not purchase any river section molds from 4bot.Clear resin would be a good way to make water or lava. It is also a good way to get the open water tiles every one say they want.
I very much prefer the old resin water sections.I duplicate that effect when I make water.

The water style was easy enough before DF made the correct colors available.

I do not want the extra seams.

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon May 23, 2016 6:14 pm

I would also like to see the waterway tiles duplicated in clear resin. You can still paint the shores but then you have options for the waterway. You can use gel paints or glass paints to make them translucent so they can be lit from below for magma effects, glowing swamps, etc. If you have fancy enough lighting solutions you can skip the colors and use colored light to create effects if you like.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Mon May 23, 2016 6:01 pm

very nice!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower wrote:Cavern pieces have always been my FAVORITE from DF. I really like the idea of a cavern water tile with no shore. I was actually in need of something like this when I ran a module for 2E called Evil Tide involving sahuagin. I might take a crack at sculpting a few of these once I re up my supplies next paycheck. I have also been working on a more natural looking elevation piece (not that I dislike the ones they already make mind you) but it wouldnt be stackable like the cubes DF has it would be a stand alone piece that bridged an elevation gap from floor level to about 4 inches high.
This is the first attempt to make taller 4" and 8" sections with 4 bot molds.

I realised I could make a modular free standing wall by combining the round and concave sections.

Some of the cast from the floor molds and the large stalagmite molds. I am going to use the under dark blue and purple theme rather than the normal warm grays.

a few custom elevation blocks

Link to 4bot
http://www.4botindustries.com/#!shop-by ... ions/t8g5t

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Cavern pieces have always been my FAVORITE from DF. I really like the idea of a cavern water tile with no shore. I was actually in need of something like this when I ran a module for 2E called Evil Tide involving sahuagin. I might take a crack at sculpting a few of these once I re up my supplies next paycheck. I have also been working on a more natural looking elevation piece (not that I dislike the ones they already make mind you) but it wouldnt be stackable like the cubes DF has it would be a stand alone piece that bridged an elevation gap from floor level to about 4 inches high.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon May 23, 2016 4:39 pm

I like Jackattacks idea of an entire second set of the three basic sculpts. This would allow either set to function on its own or the two to interact with each other.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon May 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Yes indeed, that is the idea.

Basically, I would like an extended straight shore to look less like a straight line, and an extended "diagonal" shore to look less like a series of alternating right angles. I think adding even one variant of each basic bank tile (straight, convex corner, concave corner) would achieve this.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Mon May 23, 2016 1:52 pm

kitenerd wrote:
jackattack wrote: First, a set of variant Water Cavern pieces. One new "straight" bank (maybe curved, maybe with a rock in the water), one new concave bank (maybe bowed out instead of in, maybe straighter), and one new convex bank (maybe bowed in instead of out, maybe straighter) are enough to create a new set that stands alone, but also supplements and varies the existing Water Cavern set.

There are lots of great ideas here, but this one is absolutely essential - as good as the current set is it is WAY too straight and perfect - looks more like a canal or sluice than an organic stream or lake edge. Having alternate sculpts would get us out of the minecraft look that is almost unavoidable with the current sets

Maybe something along these lines?

When I did these, I was looking to break up the uniformity of the straight banks, and add a few specialty/function tiles. Wouldn't be hard to move the whole bank out a bit, and shape to make a gradual curve. Maybe even arc across two tiles.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (391.94 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (457.05 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.04 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 23, 2016 12:52 pm

"Asking DF to go back and completely redo an entire set is not a reasonable request."

I am glad you made that clear :!: focused on 2"by 2" water tiles.I am not going to buy them period.End of discussion.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm

jackattack wrote:I would like to keep this thread focused on suggestions for new pieces for the existing dwarvenite Caverns line(s). Ideas about new types of caverns (including burrows/warrens, crystal caves, sandstone, etc.) should go in new threads so those ideas can get the attention they deserve.
Clearly some interest, but let's stay focused. Some good suggestions, and some things to broach in other threads.

As the leader of the campaign against fixed width river pieces I feel I should point out that we can already make 2"/10' rivers with the existing Water Cavern pieces, which was the original width of rivers on the 4"x4" resin pieces. The shoreline design also significantly reduced the number of unique pieces (and molds) required for rivers and lakes.

Asking DF to go back and completely redo an entire set is not a reasonable request.

There is barely enough room on a 2"x2" tile for a 1"/5' river, and there would be very little room to vary the banks, so I am concerned that instead of looking like a natural waterway it would look like a canal cut into the floor.

However, if the water width were reduced to a couple of scale feet the streams could curve and wander (and split and rejoin) on a single 2"x2" tile. This set would need a tile connecting a stream with a straight bank, and possibly two (left and right) connecting a stream with a convex bank.

Are there specific ideas for LED pieces in a water-erosion cavern motif?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch