Filler Insert for KS3 Wood Floor Stairwell

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Filler Insert for KS3 Wood Floor Stairwell

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:03 pm

jchunick wrote:
GODofwar wrote:...
I see this as a solution in search of a problem. Or maybe I miss the obvious. Help me out here.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one.
Once you start building structures larger than 4x4... say, 4x8, L-shaped, 8x8 or larger... then you likely only need one 4x4 stairwell floor per level; maybe two at most. The ratio of stairways to floor pieces is predicated on the base footprint being 4x4. I completely agree with DF doing it this way, but it does mean that when building larger footprints the ratios of regular floor pieces with those having holes does cause problems.
This is especially true of those of us with smaller investments... a "village" doesn't go far. While a rug is a viable solution i really like the idea of a wood/stone plug as appropriate.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

GODofwar wrote:You know, I don't meant to throw cold water on Sir Josh's grea work - but you can get the same outcome by buying or just cutting a few rugs for these floors. Hide the hole. Even my 15mm figs won't drop thru with a rug over the hole...and why would one NOT need second floor access? No second floors???

I see this as a solution in search of a problem. Or maybe I miss the obvious. Help me out here.

The Least Weasel
And if you didn't want to put a rug there?...besides, a rug is still a rug in every other use and my plan is to make the insert pieces a bit more modular; For example, the wood floor insert could be used to build a raised stage area in a tavern. Let's see your rug do that! :P :lol:

I think that there are a pile of easy and good solutions to filling in the hole... just as there's a lot of ways to create 3D terrain - just look at what the crafters such as DM Scotty do with cardboard, PVC glue, TP, and a bit of paint.

As for "and why would one NOT need second floor access?..." Once you start building structures larger than 4x4... say, 4x8, L-shaped, 8x8 or larger... then you likely only need one 4x4 stairwell floor per level; maybe two at most. The ratio of stairways to floor pieces is predicated on the base footprint being 4x4. I completely agree with DF doing it this way, but it does mean that when building larger footprints the ratios of regular floor pieces with those having holes does cause problems.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:39 pm

This a great idea, but I am thinking that I may just cut-up a pair of existing floor tiles (1 stone and 1 wooden) to make inserts. That way the factory paint will match. I will also then use the outer part to make a couple of 4x4 frames for double height CBS builds.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm

You know, I don't meant to throw cold water on Sir Josh's grea work - but you can get the same outcome by buying or just cutting a few rugs for these floors. Hide the hole. Even my 15mm figs won't drop thru with a rug over the hole...and why would one NOT need second floor access? No second floors???

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Thunder
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thunder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:28 am

I would love to buy 6 of the Stone Inserts and 6 of the Wood Inserts.

I made some of my own already, because I really need more solid floors than I need stairway floors. The Stairway floors are cool, and they will all be in use someday, but having them double as solid floors really extends their usefulness.

I photocopied both the stone and wood floors, then cut Foam Core pieces to friction fit inside the openings. With two layers of Foam Core and the Photocopy stacked and glued together the fit is tight enough to use as an upper floor without falling out. It is a passable solution, but the "patch" is really noticeable.

The corner Fireplace is also a great idea, I would even prefer it free standing instead of being a custom CBS corner piece. Then I could use it with my regular Dungeon Tiles. Versatility is always desirable.

Sign me up as a customer!

Peace

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Sign this man up for KS5 ASAP!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Oldent wrote:
jchunick wrote:Here is the next piece I'm working on:
20160425_194207-480x853.jpg
I bought a pile of GW orc heads so I could do this. :-)
I have the old Mega Miniature trophy heads. :) Are you including a magnet?

I also like the corner fire place :!:
Yup. These pieces will be fully CBS compatible.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Looks like a great start! Keep us posted.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:02 pm

jchunick wrote:Here is the next piece I'm working on:
20160425_194207-480x853.jpg
I bought a pile of GW orc heads so I could do this. :-)
I have the old Mega Miniature trophy heads. :) Are you including a magnet?

I also like the corner fire place :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Josh, your boundless creativity is inspiring. Thanks for sharing it!