The Big Post on Scale Compatibility

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: The Big Post on Scale Compatibility

Post by Law » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:40 am

Work, sadly.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Law wrote:
GODofwar wrote:Terminology:

By hhorizontal, I mean a build that is parallel to the earth's surface;; vertical is perpendicular thereunto.

I think Law may ve usinga different convention.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum est
I posted that while lying on the floor, feet on the wall. Also, on not having slept the night before. ;)
Brief or KS keep you up???

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 pm

GODofwar wrote:Terminology:

By hhorizontal, I mean a build that is parallel to the earth's surface;; vertical is perpendicular thereunto.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum est
I posted that while lying on the floor, feet on the wall. Also, on not having slept the night before. ;)

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Oldent wrote:A mountain has been made from a mold hill :lol:

As I live and breathe! That's certainly the peak of this thread!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:55 pm

A mountain has been made from a mold hill :lol:

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Terminology:

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum est
WeaselWarGod

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:44 am

Damn, I want to continue the puns but I have something substantive to say. ("Give me some space," I guess? Oh, that's just painful).)

Anyhoo -- one thing about horizontal building. Long-time users would have not expected a great deal of compatibility horizontally, because DF has never really been designed for that. Some pieces -- like the double doors and the free-standing columns in WA3 -- are expressly higher than the regular walls, making it impossible to integrate them into a higher build. Same thing goes for the doors in one of the later sets -- they were very nice doors, fancier than the regular resin doors, but they were at least .25 inches higher than the walls (an unofficial, eyeball, from memory measurement).

Similarly, the resin caverns curve all over the place -- even with the chasm set, which is expressly FOR THE PURPOSE of horizontal builds, you have to be careful about where you place things. There are gaps, there are waves, there are minor height discrepancies. Even the curved chasm floor which lines up 90% of the way with the curved cavern piece, to make a perfect little ledge, won't be stable -- it's stable on the free-standing curved wall with the same footprint, but the actual curved cavern corner has a little "bubble" of height in the middle that tends to make it wobble. I always have to balance and stabilize that piece when I do builds for pictures, and often I'll just swap out the curve for a flat cavern floor and free-standing curved wall for that arrangement.

So -- yeah, it's expressly designed to go together, but it doesn't quite line up right to be perfect.

About the only resin sets that work seamlessly for horizontal builds are the MBS sets and ROTA sets, IIRC. Those work perfectly, and with MBS in particular it is really nice because you can do a lot of very fun things by adding height to MBS structures. I rarely do one-level MBS builds, the stairs and stackability is just too fun to pass up.

But, yeah -- anyone who's used DF in the past recognizes that it's primary purpose was to serve as a way of doing detailed, 3-D floorplans. There wasn't much height, you didn't have ceilings or high doors, you didn't have full structures. And while stacking could create a semblance of that stuff, when people did it well (like Invincible Overlord) it was always very clear they were using the pieces in ways that weren't originally intended. So it would be natural to expect to have to tinker with things.

With CBS, horizontal building is crucial, it's built right into the model. Precision was of the utmost importance. It stands to reason things would have to be standardized to go forward.

So, yeah, yet another reason to think that, going forward, Dwarvenite should be standardized to match precisely with CBS dimensions. And resin need not, but should remain basically compatible with itself, i.e. done the way it always was.

(I still also think that the extra cost and desirability of keeping the special packaging for the resin sets makes this less of an issue -- 99% of us won't have enough resin pieces for this to be an issue, while our Dwarvenite builds might be massive indeed once KS4 is added to KS3...)

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Audles wrote:
GODofwar wrote:

must....restrain....urge to reach through Forum....and strangle Audles....ahhhhhhh....
[CHOKING SOUNDS]

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
I'll never give an inch in this conversation. :P
But a few millimeters shouldn't be a problem, right? :)
I certainly wouldn't waste my breath on it. :mrgreen:

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Audles wrote:
GODofwar wrote:
Audles wrote:This certainly did a lot to scale back my concerns.

must....restrain....urge to reach through Forum....and strangle Audles....ahhhhhhh....
[CHOKING SOUNDS]

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
But a few millimeters shouldn't be a problem, right? :)

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:09 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Audles wrote:This certainly did a lot to scale back my concerns.

[CHOKING SOUNDS]

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est