City Builder Less Versatile Than Expected

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Re: City Builder Less Versatile Than Expected

Post by madrigalian » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 am

I don't recall it ever being said that they were meant to be used together in the same way and I never expected that they would be. Could they be? Sure. Were they designed to be? Not really. They're close, but not specifically designed to be used that way. The City Builder System is just that. A system to build cities. That's what it was designed to do. That's what it does. Outdoor dioramas. Dungeons and caverns and catacombs are not cities.

I felt this was always very clear. As a matter of fact, the only time I remember there being any real discussion of intermingling them was with respect to crenelations and dungeon passages to build fortified walls. Which, to my knowledge, works just fine.

Sure they showed how you 'could' use floor tiles and rivers with cities. But that's not at all the same thing as intermingling building structures where every mm needs to be exact.

Maybe this isn't what you expected, but again, I don't recall it ever being said that they were being designed as anything but their own stand alone system for cities. So for me, this is really a non-issue. Still, to suggest that DF made a 'mistake' or has a 'quality control' issue or should (heaven forbid) hold up it's next KS for some reason just doesn't make any sense to me.
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 am

dice4hire wrote:I am sure it will be fine. Perfect is preferable, but not required.

I would ask that KSIV be fully compatible with KSI and KSII. Looks like it is possible it cannot be fully compatible with all three. Still, I know KSIV will be great and I will be supporting it.
Yup, my sentiments exactly (my emphasis added).

My DF resin sets have NEVER been a 100% perfect fit. They are very close, but not 100% perfect and honestly I don't really expect them to be. I have been happy with all my Dwarven Forge purchases and I am happy (super happy actually) with my KS3 purchase and eagerly await KS4!

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 am

I am going to have to look at this tomorrow when I take my KSIII next door where all my other DF stuff is. I also got Sewers (3 packs) to go with KSI.

I am sure it will be fine. Perfect is preferable, but not required.

I would ask that KSIV be fully compatible with KSI and KSII. Looks like it is possible it cannot be fully compatible with all three. Still, I know KSIV will be great and I will be supporting it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:38 am

This is frustrating to say the least...
I made my KS3 purchase on the assumption that it would be compatible with existing KS1/2 dwarvenite, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Many things I thought would be possible won't be now, and a lot of side purchases I made will go to waste (foam at the KS1/2 tile height for elevated city setups, etc.).

Was this scale change intentional?

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:27 am

Kryzsko you are right.

I saw some images and the sewers looked fine with the KS1 2x2 floors.

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=95234#p95234

I can see the need for some 2x2 or 4x4 sewer floors, perhaps if there is a sewer wicked editions?

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Re: City Builder Less Versatile Than Expecte

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:43 am

I think the size difference may not be as bad as it looks in these pictures. After seeing some builds where the sewers were mixed with the kick starter one tiles they seem to work fine together.

I don't feel KS3 was rushed. They have always worked on adding new pieces throughout the campaign. They like to get feedback and add the pieces the people request. I for one do not hope they delay the castle Kickstarter. March or April is always the best time to launch a Kickstarter due to people getting their tax returns back around that time. If anything I think they've learned a lot from the more complicated City Builder campaign, and that should help a lot with the castle Kickstarter. They will be able to fix most of the small issues that people have found with the city builder sets.

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:04 am

That’s a tad disconcerting. I would have thought with the massive steel molds that there would be enough precision to have consistent sizing and the 4x4 and 2x2 exterior dimensions would have been sacrosanct. I went for 2x monster sewers to use then with my KS1 & 2. If they don’t fit well there will be a sad DM, this also increases the chances of TPKs.

Hopefully if you space the 2x2 out, so the error is across all of them, it might not be so bad?

I also think that KS3 was rushed a bit, for example the lack of layout photos at the start of the campaign. I would rather DF took all the time they need and have everything sorted before they launch and if it takes a longer for fulfilment thats ok too.

I’m still waiting to get my KS3, I will withhold judgment until then. I like my DF and I intend to be in on KS4. However, I just want things that will work 100% with and extend my existing products, most of which is the 2x2 footprint.

jls304
Orc
Orc

Post by jls304 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:25 am

I'm reserving judgment until I have the pieces in my hand. Dwarven Forge has always stood behind their product so I'm not worried. I've seen enough setups that what ever flaws (if any)may be present, I will still love it and buy more.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 am

Dwarven Forge is and has been a great company all along but they have made mistakes all along, some have been tile size issues such as the wilderness set others have been issues with their resin such as the water tiles resin water and other are a piece here and a piece there that is out of whack.

I does really bother me that the sewer and city tiles do not have the same foot print as the dungeon and cavern tiles but I true do not think that DF rushed anything with KSIII, I believe the importance of the tiles being the exact mm from this line to the other two was just not part of the conversation. If it had been then I do not think there would be a stark difference. This is of course all just my opinion.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 am

I haven't received my tiles yet, and I really just ordered several monster sewer sets (no CBS)... but it will be disappointing if the sluiceways aren't a matching 2"x2" footprint that can mingle with Dungeon Tiles. To me, the standardized size / versatility is/was a major selling point of the DF system.