Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Drammattex wrote:THANK YOU!!!

Take a look at these. I use them for minis. The boxes allow me to take minis out in the box (even if I need only one out of a dozen) and the box label means I can quickly re-store the minis. I have 22 of these babies full of minis so it helps.

But regular storage I use the ones with walls that come in or out. If you want a link let me know; they have to fixed compartments, one on each side of the fixed handle, and twelve walled compartments, each about 4-5" by 3.5" and about 3" deep.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Drammattex
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Drammattex » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:22 pm

THANK YOU!!!

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Drammattex wrote:
Vegomatic wrote:Here are some photos of a sample of my current CBS storage...
I really like these. Where do you get them?
The larger tubs are Iris Storage. They measure approximately 11x16 and about 6 inches deep. I bought a multi-pack of them from Costco a few months ago. I don't see them on their website but it may be seasonal.

The smaller organizer is a Plano Stowaway. It is a very old model... one I had on hand from years ago (14x9x2.5 inches). You will probably want a newer model anyway (Plano Stowaway Pro-Lock)... as the latches on the old ones break after some use. Walmart and other stores carry them... Here is a link to the Plano site: http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/ca ... waway.aspx

And on Walmart here one a little smaller than my old one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Molding ... s/35848208

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Storing your DwF - Cheap Method

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:56 pm

I just use the boxes they came in - inside large storage tubs. Easy to label - I circle the image on the front showing whats inside, then put a label in each corner of the box top:

TYPE (ruins, wall, floor etc) STYLE (stone or Tudor)

SPECIAL (with window, with door etc) QTY (how many)

I only put one Style and Special category in a single box. I use thick black marker on top, and duplicate the label on one side so it can be seen through clear tub walls.

Then I stack stuff in the same order in each tub. Stone walls along one side, walls with windows in the middle, etc. If appropriate I stack items with lots of and the right shape on the bottom of the tub (like sewer walls) and leave them loose. I make sure the bottom is full so they don't rattle around - sometimes this means a box in sideways, even an empty box.

When building, I usually only need one tub at a time - ie, I will build all my Tudor buildings at once, all my stone buildings, all the sewers etc. If I know I have half-and-halfs, like a stone first floor with Tudor second floor, I will try to build those by dumping what I need before storing the Stone tub , then finish as soon as the Tudor tub comes out.

This is analogous to how I use my storage drawers for resin.

Cheaper than buying the plastic tubs, but I really do like the plastic tubs from Target mentioned above (many stores carry them).

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Drammattex
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Drammattex » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Vegomatic wrote:Here are some photos of a sample of my current CBS storage...

I really like these. Where do you get them?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

my spreadsheet fell apart sometime after the D&D minis game ended... i no longer needed quite as firm a grip on what i had, plus for a while there the minis were CHEAP and i was buying tons... those days are gone ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:37 pm

kitenerd wrote:I have a ridiculous amount of prepainted plastic - i have lost count. Yes sorting them is a problem. When i run something, i typically throw them in a box when it is over. Ever few months i spread all the containers on the floor, dump the unsorted box and put on a good movie. It takes forever to put them all in their proper places ;)
Heh, I do the EXACT same thing, right down to sitting on the floor in a semi-circle of open containers. :D

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I keep spreadsheets of my D&D and Pathfinder minis. At this moment, I'm at 2492 of those, plus another hundred or so (unspreadsheeted) Dwarven Forge, Dungeon Crawler, Safari Dragons and Toob Horses, Schleich Dragons, etc.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:23 pm

kitenerd wrote:I have a ridiculous amount of prepainted plastic - i have lost count. Yes sorting them is a problem. When i run something, i typically throw them in a box when it is over. Ever few months i spread all the containers on the floor, dump the unsorted box and put on a good movie. It takes forever to put them all in their proper places ;)
I use those same boxes for my minis. Best kept gamer secret at my local Fred Meyer store.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:59 pm

I have a ridiculous amount of prepainted plastic - i have lost count. Yes sorting them is a problem. When i run something, i typically throw them in a box when it is over. Ever few months i spread all the containers on the floor, dump the unsorted box and put on a good movie. It takes forever to put them all in their proper places ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:00 am

A few of my Sterlite tubs with prepainted miniatures.
Sterlite Mini Storage.jpg
Sterlite Mini Storage.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
I'd like to have the minis better sorted within the tubs, but as time has gone on the number of them has made neater systems like kitenerd posted problematic.
As it is, they're just sorted into various sizes of plastic baggies within the tubs.