Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:59 pm

I have a ridiculous amount of prepainted plastic - i have lost count. Yes sorting them is a problem. When i run something, i typically throw them in a box when it is over. Ever few months i spread all the containers on the floor, dump the unsorted box and put on a good movie. It takes forever to put them all in their proper places ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:00 am

A few of my Sterlite tubs with prepainted miniatures.
Sterlite Mini Storage.jpg
Sterlite Mini Storage.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
I'd like to have the minis better sorted within the tubs, but as time has gone on the number of them has made neater systems like kitenerd posted problematic.
As it is, they're just sorted into various sizes of plastic baggies within the tubs.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 am

I use these for prepainted minis:

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-17-Compart ... rds=darice

you can get them at beverlies or michaels for under 2 bucks - they are designed for embroidery floss

the photo is terrible, but there are 16 small slots and 1 double length slot - for medium minis depending on sculpt you can stick 2-8 per slot - i have probably 20 of these (undead, orcs, drow, dwarves, mages, clerics, kobolds etc.) makes it really easy to find your minis

here is my box with DF minis:
lizardmen.jpg
lizardmen.jpg (182.25 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
as you can tell, this could easily hold 5-6 sets of lizardmen

when i prepare to run an adventure, i pull the minis and just put them in slots by encounter - then i can just go to the next slot or two every time the PC's hit another room

Sadly once you get to large and above, all of my minis are just tumbled into bigger tubs that i must stir through...

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Magniopi wrote:... The monsters are sorted out by type/location, like Forest, Fire, Undead, etc., and the Starlite boxes make it super easy to just grab the monsters relevant for a session.
Nice idea! I have been trying to figure out how to organize minis.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:39 am

My resin sets are all in Ikea Alex cabinets. My dwarvenite sets are primarily in Really Useful Boxes as I transport them to game locations a lot.

Those Sterlite boxes robertsconley mentions I don't use for Dwarven Forge, but I have a bunch of them I use to store and transport my prepainted D&D and Pathfinder minis. The monsters are sorted out by type/location, like Forest, Fire, Undead, etc., and the Starlite boxes make it super easy to just grab the monsters relevant for a session.

zazulu
Goblin
Goblin

Post by zazulu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 am

robertsconley wrote:For the past three kickstarters I have used the following system to store my Dwarven forge pieces.
If memory serves me right, you posted this suggestion on a comment in one of the kickstarters. If it was you, thank you. It is a perfect storage solution for transporting Dwarvenite. (Resin gets some extra TLC.)

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 am

Here are some photos of a sample of my current CBS storage...

These two containers are holding:
1 Village with Stretch Goals,
1 Stone Walls & Posts Pack,
1 Stone Floors Pack,
1 Arrow Slit Walls Pack,
1 Double Posts Pack,
1 Modular Balconies Pack,
1 Door Pack

One tub, one.. tackle box? or craft type container.
Both Containers.jpg
Tub and "Tackle box"
Both Containers.jpg (276.4 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Open Tubs.jpg
Another Angle
Open Tubs.jpg (258.24 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Big Tub Open.jpg
Close up of Village Plus Add-ons
Big Tub Open.jpg (279.45 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
And there is plenty of room in the tub for the Bridge of Valor when the replacement arrives next month. (It arrived broken, Suzy is having it replaced! :) )
Small Container.jpg
The little bits
Small Container.jpg (294.38 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
This contains all the small bits from the village w/stretch and add-ons listed above. It also includes the small bits from my Monster Sewer (Grates/Plugs, mini). I have a second of the larger sized tub that will hold two Monster Sewers along with tower and wall battlements.
Closed Tubs.jpg
Portable, easy to carry.
Closed Tubs.jpg (214.46 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
They stack nicely and are easy to carry (We don't play at my house, so they have to travel to games with me).

I have three more of the larger tubs in use... one for Dungeon Tiles, and two for Cavern Tiles. There are some other smaller containers for wicked city, tavern, dungeon dressings, other furnishings, minis, etc... I have also found the small boxes that these sets were shipped in can be used in the tubs for separating/sorting some items (not pictured).

From the wall packs I have enough walls and posts that I could add another floor pack... but I will hold off ordering more until we get a feel for what we might need. (we have about a 4 by 6 foot table to play on... including books/laptops/dice... so only room to set up a small scenario rather than a cityscape).

Hoping KS4 will have some nice additions for inside builds.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I do something similar, but have never seen the ones with the dividers... I like those especially for this stuff. We have lots of weird stuff like balconies that doesn't nest and store well. I will definitely check them out.

If you don't mind my asking, How many sets did you put in those 9 tubs?

robertsconley
Kobold
Kobold

Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by robertsconley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 pm

For the past three kickstarters I have used the following system to store my Dwarven forge pieces.

Target has a brand of snap together storage bins by Starlite. There are theses guys

Link
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-stack ... edium_1_45

And a larger one at this link

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-stack ... edium_1_38

Then you buy one of these guys

Which can be found at
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct. ... &section=1

This allows you do this

And my order unboxed and placed in their respective storage bins.