Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by Law » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 pm

I've been pretty casual with KS1 and KS2 -- I keep them in bins, and they're just piled up. My kids play with them, and they get handled pretty roughly. And they're fine. They're amazingly durable. Definitely a key virtue of those sets.

KS3 feels VERY different, though. In addition to things that are clearly fragile like the light-up torches and the magnets, the whole set has a larger footprint and that makes me wonder. The streets and floors seem like they could warp if they're not stacked neatly. And I feel like the posts need to be treated carefully, too. If they have problems, the whole set will be largely useless. I also want to make sure the paint doesn't wear off -- it's tough to tell, but it seems like it could be vulnerable, especially on some of the wood floors. Some of my pieces seemed sticky when I unpacked them -- I seem to recall a similar issue with KS2, though, and those have aged well.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Caleb
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Caleb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Man I feel kinda bad looking at all these elegant storing solutions.

I throw all mine in the tote bags and throw the tote bags in a corner.

Man and considering how much I have used the original Kickstarter set it's amazing that my paint job still looks excellent.

And I have used these tiles a great deal in the past couple of years! Including events where young kids were stacking them up and roughing them up.

And I just dump them back into the tote bags when I am done. No deformed tiles yet.

tangleknot
Goblin
Goblin

Post by tangleknot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

I use duffle bags (~ 4 pockets to keep pieces separated) and 2-3 additional smaller draw string bags inside. A typical duffle bag will hold 5+ Df sets. This works well for me as I can throw a bag over my shoulder and head off to friends house to play. Clean up is easy, I just toss pieces into the corresponding pockets. Although The dwarvitie and paint are nearly indestructible, they are heavy! Whatever option you use remember each set weighs about 5-6 lbs.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 am

I've considered something along the lines of a "medicine cabinet" -- here's one link, but there are many others that cost less (especially if you go to a 2nd hand or antique furniture shop, as William mentioned).

http://www.orientalfurniture.com/medicine-cabinets.html

Goodwill and similar thrift shops sometimes have these, or similar furniture in fair condition that could work just as well. Finding the right size drawers can be tough though.

Another option might be a bookcase with holes for adjustable shelves. If you buy some extra shelves (or get them from the clearance/spare parts area at Ikea) you can put 12+ shelves on a single bookcase.

If you need something that closes, you can get a dining room hutch -- these are typically larger than a bookcase, and have different configurations. Some of these have adjustable shelves as well. The doors can be solid wood (to hide your stuff) or glass, to display your stuff. Some contain internal lighting which can highlight your stuff quite well.

From my wife's perspective, the real downside to storing awesome gaming items in a nice piece of furniture is that she'd rather use the furniture for better stuff...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Custom work is about 10 years down the line. We actually got quotes but it was too much for us right now. (Probably between $3-4k for what is necessary)

We plan our money pretty well so I don't doubt it will happen, just not at this moment. :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 pm

William wrote:Also, go look at antique furniture stores. They used to build some awesome compartmentalized cabinets for all different kinds of things. My mom has three multi-drawer cabinets I want someday. Two are gorgeous oak post office pieces and one is a dark cherry dentists cabinet.
If you live in an area that has them, it's worth a look and a fun day of looking at history. Just a thought.
This is a wonderful idea. Wonder why I hadn't thought of it before? Yes, I agree with William. If you don't want it custom made, then antiques are a good path to trend on.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:21 pm

Also, go look at antique furniture stores. They used to build some awesome compartmentalized cabinets for all different kinds of things. My mom has three multi-drawer cabinets I want someday. Two are gorgeous oak post office pieces and one is a dark cherry dentists cabinet.
If you live in an area that has them, it's worth a look and a fun day of looking at history. Just a thought.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:50 pm

You aren't going to want to here this, Anime. However, I think it is time to break the news to you.

You aren't going to get what you want from the items that you are choosing from.

There I said it. Now, let me explain. You are looking for something nice, elegant even, that appeases the tastes of your wife; and yet stores all of your gaming stuff in an organized fashion. There are plenty of organization ideas from what others have put forward here. I think nearly all of them are clever, but they will not appeal to your wife. As cool as plano boxes are for organizing (and they truly are), they are not elegant (arguably). That isn't their purpose. So, you move on to the next thing, which is furniture, affordable furniture that is Ikea. You have found a couple of items to your liking, but they don't mesh well with what you have. I think it is time for you to bite the bullet, and ask yourself some serious questions. Are you going to keep your collection (keep meaning a very long time), and are you going to be staying in the same house for awhile? If both of those are yes, then hire a carpenter to custom make something for you. Your wife will love the presentation of your storage system, but not the price. I have little advice for you on how to convince her, but it'll be better for both of you anyway. Beautiful presentation (her), and an ideal storage solution (you).

Good luck, my friend. You may very well need it. ;)
Last edited by Runeweaver on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:00 pm

"The difference between you and me? I make this look good...". 8-)

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:My current line of thought are these, but as they are from Amazon I can't touch them to determine their sturdiness before I buy them. They also do not have any way to separate the insides for compartmentalized storage, so I'd be finding an additional product for that. I also don't know how good they would look.

http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Capri-Fol ... 001E95R04/
Canvas is a plus. The dimensions are pretty spot on. I would consider beige though. Might look great (more 'elegant') with your dark wood cabinet. Or at least a mix of both. All black will make for a pretty dark and well, black cabinet. Still, if you're going for the MIB or X-Files look that could be a plus too. :)
Last edited by madrigalian on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0