Alternate uses for LED torch stands

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Alternate uses for LED torch stands

Post by jchunick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:24 pm

lostpict wrote:A small bit threadomancy, I would like glowing bases to indicate active spell effects. Any idea how to do that with LEDs?
The easiest way would be with a BlinkM MinM LED chip. You can find them here:
http://thingm.com/products/blinkm-minm/

However, they're comparatively bulky and you'd also still need a way to switch between colours.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:31 am

A small bit threadomancy, I would like glowing bases to indicate active spell effects. Any idea how to do that with LEDs?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:56 pm

That's the one, in Tukwilla east of Boeing field.
The wife still works there, on her 29th year.
A meet sounds good, next time you are heading this way give a hollar - PM or post here.
Hopefully I'll get my game room cleaned up by then. Ha, it's been a wreck for years. ;)
Bill

Baitsauce - Give it time you'll get there, then you'll wish for widgets on stressful days. For me 3D CAD turned out to be the best tool for drawing custom spider hangers for multi angled beams. We did a few roofs in Russia with arched beams and rounded cielings. They were a nice challenge to draw. One of those houses was 25,000 Sq. Ft. and took a year and a half to draw. That sucker stretched our computer system to the limit when running elevations and cross sections. It would take hours of rendering per drawing. Enough reminescing. :(
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 pm

William:

Driven by Lindal hundreds of times - mostly on I5!

Hey, we get home usually at least once a year. I"d enjoy getting together if you're interested.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Larry
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 pm

William wrote:A short history of me - :oops:
From structural and street engineering to comercial buildings to custom home design down to the blue print guy (I guess I moved up from there, not down to there). Most of my career was designing and drafting custom home plans. I started drawing very early and blew off college to work, school was always very dull and extreemly easy. Except english classes were always gibberish to me, hated them. So I learned early my mind works in pictures and numbers, but not words or punctuation. After years working in Fresno, CA at a half dozen places I screwed up personally (whole other story) and had to start over up north where my brother moved to years earlier. Once I found them I settled into an 18+ year career with Lindal Cedar Homes based out of Seattle, although they sell thier homes worldwide. Blew my back up, had 3 operations, titanium installed, no real help. :x :( :cry: TMI?
I've always had the ability to see things in 3D :ugeek: , which was a plus in the old days of hand drafting. But with the advent of Computer Aided Drafting, any trained drafter can spit out designs in 3D so clients can visualize the design. I wish I had more schooling in hand sketching with color and spelling (haha, not really - I don't care anymore), but I can usually convey an idea quickly with my Post-It-Designs.
3"x3" is a big drawing for me these days.
I think it's been over 7 years since I opened a drafting program. I probably wouldn't even remember how to format a drawing. "Use It or Lose It" is so true. My priorities have also changed over those years, so no biggie.
William, in reply - my shorter history: The only class I every flunked (D) was drafting. My junior high teacher refused to believe that when I looked at a properly done 3D perspective all I saw was lines on a paper. Solly, Colly, that's all I saw.

Things have gotten better but not much. I build, not draw!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I had done the torch bases some time ago. Mine was magnetized, as I had put rubber ferric bases on the bottoms of my player characters figs. That way it stuck to the mini as they moved it around. It worked ok. I made several of them, but it does add some height to the mini. Josh's are more refined then mine though.
photo 2 (5) (765x1024).jpg
photo 2 (5) (765x1024).jpg (351.22 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Attachments
IMG_0916 (478x640).jpg
IMG_0916 (478x640).jpg (108.83 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Last edited by Runeweaver on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks for the backstory, William. I could certainly see from your "quick sketches" (which would have taken me far to long to make, even if I could make them) that it was a job acquired and refined skill. True you may have always had it, but repetition and need honed it considerable I would gather.

Always a joy to see your sketches.

BaitSauce
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaitSauce » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 pm

From structural and street engineering to comercial buildings to custom home design down to the blue print guy (I guess I moved up from there, not down to there). Most of my career was designing and drafting custom home plans. I started drawing very early and blew off college to work, school was always very dull and extreemly easy. Except english classes were always gibberish to me, hated them. So I learned early my mind works in pictures and numbers, but not words or punctuation. After years working in Fresno, CA at a half dozen places I screwed up personally (whole other story) and had to start over up north where my brother moved to years earlier. Once I found them I settled into an 18+ year career with Lindal Cedar Homes based out of Seattle, although they sell thier homes worldwide. Blew my back up, had 3 operations, titanium installed, no real help. :x :( :cry: TMI?
I've always had the ability to see things in 3D :ugeek: , which was a plus in the old days of hand drafting. But with the advent of Computer Aided Drafting, any trained drafter can spit out designs in 3D so clients can visualize the design. I wish I had more schooling in hand sketching with color and spelling (haha, not really - I don't care anymore), but I can usually convey an idea quickly with my Post-It-Designs.
I think it's been over 7 years since I opened a drafting program. I probably wouldn't even remember how to format a drawing. "Use It or Lose It" is so true. My priorities have also changed over those years, so no biggie.
Drafter here as well, but only been doing it for 5 year so far. Spacial awareness even with C.A.D. programs is probably the most valuable skill. I don't get to draw plans too much, I mostly generate piping isometric drawings for a fabrication shop. Trying to start getting into floor planning though.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:11 am

Sounds like your next market niche is designing tabletop gamers' houses or game rooms. :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:01 am

A short history of me - :oops:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )