Arches & Elevations

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Mobius
Orc
Orc

Re: Arches & Elevations

Post by Mobius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 am

I agree - fewer but more versatile pieces is the key.

I want to get castle stuff in KS4 that can build a Royal Keep or a large manor house or a castle gatehouse or an evil fortress. Same pieces that can be used for different setups.

The Pedestal blocks and water tiles have become my favourite cavern pieces because I've realized that they're also great for adding elevation and water to city or castle builds. They're both very versatile.

Part of Mydienon's ideas could be done with alternate paint jobs. The same castle wall sculpts could be painted to be shining marble or common fieldstone or black rock with blood-tinted mortar.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:18 am

Mydienon wrote:
jackattack wrote:The main question with elevations is whether to keep them plain on all sides, embellish one side, or embellish all sides. Embellishing one side allows the embellished side to be easily hidden, turned to or against the nearest wall. Embellishments should be flat or recessed so that elevation pieces can be placed flush against walls and each other.

Examples of possible embellishments include doors, stone faces, dart/fire/spray/gas nozzles, or smooth flat surfaces (rectangular, oval, shield shaped) where we could put adhesive stickers (which could be printed at home by us with whatever we want).

Does anyone else want these kinds of pieces? Plain or embellished? Embellished how?
I'd prefer no spots intended for stickers. However, having elevation blocks with different styles and embellishments could be fun.

The main thing I want from KSIV is pieces with enough cosmetic differences to create different aesthetics for different parts of the castle. I'd love to create a structure that appears to have been built over many centuries, with new sections built on top of old or ruined sections. I'd also love to have pieces that reflect different cultural influences. I want to be able to build majestic castles with tall ivory towers and bright, welcoming entrances...as well as squat, horrid little fortresses with thick curtain walls topped with spikes and impaled skeletons.
I like the idea, I just don't know how feasible it would be. Based off what you've described you would almost have to create whole new thematic sets for each new look, effectively doubling, tripling or quadrupling the number of pieces thus the number of molds needed. Maybe a better solution would be creating various embellishment add-on pieces that could help convey the desired look.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Guys,

If you ordered the Bridge of Valor from the KS3, you will be getting an archway! If you didn't order one, they will be available in Mid-February when the City Builder sets are live.

Here - behind the lion:

Thanks!

Suzy

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:42 am

If we get dungeon elevation pieces (which I don't feel we need due to passages) I'd prefer them to be uniform on all sides due to corners.

I would like to see dungeon and caverns with magnetic accessories, however. We just need some new walls and then a new accessory set.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 am

jackattack wrote:The main question with elevations is whether to keep them plain on all sides, embellish one side, or embellish all sides. Embellishing one side allows the embellished side to be easily hidden, turned to or against the nearest wall. Embellishments should be flat or recessed so that elevation pieces can be placed flush against walls and each other.

Examples of possible embellishments include doors, stone faces, dart/fire/spray/gas nozzles, or smooth flat surfaces (rectangular, oval, shield shaped) where we could put adhesive stickers (which could be printed at home by us with whatever we want).

Does anyone else want these kinds of pieces? Plain or embellished? Embellished how?
I'd prefer no spots intended for stickers. However, having elevation blocks with different styles and embellishments could be fun.

The main thing I want from KSIV is pieces with enough cosmetic differences to create different aesthetics for different parts of the castle. I'd love to create a structure that appears to have been built over many centuries, with new sections built on top of old or ruined sections. I'd also love to have pieces that reflect different cultural influences. I want to be able to build majestic castles with tall ivory towers and bright, welcoming entrances...as well as squat, horrid little fortresses with thick curtain walls topped with spikes and impaled skeletons.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Arches & Elevations

Post by jackattack » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 am

Absent any updates on KS4 here on the forums, I thought I'd bring up two classes of items I hope we'll see to go with our KS1 sets.

The first is arches.

One way to do these is as a 4" wall on a 4"x2" floor, with or without decorative embellishment (like the classic goblin face).

Another is to make the arch a much thicker 1"x4" piece resting on two 1"x1" footprints, with finished floors on top. The piece would stand on other floor pieces. This would make them ideal for stacking, or for putting miniatures on. Wide arches could be placed individually between rooms as entryways, individually against a wall as a large fireplace, around the perimeter of a room as alcoves, or across a room as a bridge or an aqueduct.

The second type of piece I'd like to see is elevations. 2"x2" blocks with worked stone walls and finished floors on top.

The main question with elevations is whether to keep them plain on all sides, embellish one side, or embellish all sides. Embellishing one side allows the embellished side to be easily hidden, turned to or against the nearest wall. Embellishments should be flat or recessed so that elevation pieces can be placed flush against walls and each other.

Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch