We Need a Boats Kickstarter!

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Re: We Need a Boats Kickstarter!

Post by pacarat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Would be nice to see, but I think it is too niche to be profitable.

Thinking especially of the mold costs for all the specific pieces needed. And if they are very ship specific they couldn't really be used in other arenas. I mean what else looks like a ship/boat? (compare this to the stone and wood themed pieces that can be used all over the place.)

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Animewarped » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Maybe when they do docks it will just be a wharf and warehouse addition to the CBS. I still agree that a large modular, multi-deck boat encounter setup would be an incredible addition to the DF legacy. :D

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Point taken. It's hard to argue with someone who has fought a sharknado and lived to tell the tale.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Sharknado!!!!!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am

Boats are like trees. There are more than a few available.

I am going to also mention ships. I am absolutely convinced that there are more than enough ships available that look far better :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am

fnordfriendly wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am
I think the question the DF staff will have to answer is, are they willing to run less profitable kickstarters at some point, just to get that line on the market?
Not if they want to employ the number of people they are currently employing. A smaller kickstarter would necessitate a smaller staff.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am

We think DF could easily create a modular boat for RPG purposes where the internals are the focus, think it has already been said that all you need is CBS diagonal walls and floors and your virtually already there.

In fact CBS diagonal walls and floors would be a great option for cities anyway and for the RPG boat people you just need a couple of context pieces and some masts and you got a boat.

Wicked boat set anyone ?

Well not for us, we want our boats to look like real ones, all curvey and scurvey like .....aarrgghhhh!!!
I am the Game and I want to Play

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Animewarped » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 am

I don't believe that a boat is all that far-fetched for a DF KS. Stefan even said they were interested in building docks in the future. Caverns, Dungeons, City, and Castle... They've pretty much covered the major foundations. They can build different pieces and designs, but only so much before it's saturated. If they really are interested in docks, then a really awesome boat system for encounters doesn't seem bad either. They will have to start fleshing out encounter areas before long just to have new and amazing things for us to go crazy over :D

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

Realistically, I wouldn't expect a ships kickstarter to do as well as a caverns or dungeons. Even though many adventures include shipboard encounters, it's not the bread and butter of encounter locations. I'd love to have modular ships for gaming - as has been mentioned there are other options available for dioramas.

I think the question the DF staff will have to answer is, are they willing to run less profitable kickstarters at some point, just to get that line on the market?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 am

I admit ships are pretty niche, but I think they could do well if the production and retail costs can be kept low.

I also think that sometimes supply really does encourage demand. How many games would start using ships more if ships were both modular and reasonably priced?

—————

This set really cries out for hull pieces and deck tiles with jagged edges for shipwrecks.

There will probably be calls for trays of some kind to allow ships to be moved on the table, for inter-ship combat. My answer is to encourage folks to put their ships on pieces of light card stock or transparent plastic.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch