We Need a Boats Kickstarter!

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Re: We Need a Boats Kickstarter!

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

Realistically, I wouldn't expect a ships kickstarter to do as well as a caverns or dungeons. Even though many adventures include shipboard encounters, it's not the bread and butter of encounter locations. I'd love to have modular ships for gaming - as has been mentioned there are other options available for dioramas.

I think the question the DF staff will have to answer is, are they willing to run less profitable kickstarters at some point, just to get that line on the market?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 am

I admit ships are pretty niche, but I think they could do well if the production and retail costs can be kept low.

I also think that sometimes supply really does encourage demand. How many games would start using ships more if ships were both modular and reasonably priced?

—————

This set really cries out for hull pieces and deck tiles with jagged edges for shipwrecks.

There will probably be calls for trays of some kind to allow ships to be moved on the table, for inter-ship combat. My answer is to encourage folks to put their ships on pieces of light card stock or transparent plastic.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 am

Well jackattack and i want them, surely we cannot be the only ones!

i would think with the Razor Coast, Sword & Shackles, not to mention Freeport there would be LOTS of opportunities to use ships. My game group spends a LOT of time on boats (i even mutinied once, but that is another story...)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 am

Ditto. Just can't get excited about boats.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 pm

This is an interesting topic, but I fear I must say boats are low on my priority list.

Modular darvenite boats would be good to see, but I do not have a burning need for them on my table.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Here is one of the larger threads. ;)
viewtopic.php?p=89336#p89336
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Wasn't there a big thread on this a few years ago with detailed diagrams drawn up by forumites?
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 pm

jackattack wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm
The fore and stern “castle” structures do not have the same structural requirements as a ship’s hull. (Some vessels might even have structures amidships.)
My thinking was that these would be full height walls, with an exact same footprint of rail walls on top. That way you have playable cabin space on the deck level that is "hidden" by the fore and stern castle . These smaller footprints would be easier to remove, plus... terrain trays ;)

Doing this lets them be repurposed in other setups and means that we could possibly recycle other stairs saving a mold.

I agree on the varying width - a cargo ship is by design wider and slower than a warship. Having a modular design lets us build anything, even a very wide relatively short paddlewheel steamer.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Context! We favor similar approaches. (Which doesn’t necessarily make us right, but makes for a clearer conversation.)

The fore and stern “castle” structures do not have the same structural requirements as a ship’s hull. (Some vessels might even have structures amidships.)

If we don’t intend to stack, we don’t have to worry about seamless integration of multiple decks. One could even argue that a straight wall only represents an “inner hull” — even though that wasn’t really a thing with wooden sailing ships, it does open up interesting possibilities for movement and concealment in maritime sessions.

I will lobby for 45-degree diagonal pieces in addition to the 30(?)s proposed, because many ships curve more abruptly toward the stern. 2”x2” curved walls should also be on the list, but probably further down.

For me, the main drawback of the KS referenced, for me, was the fixed width of the vessels. Larger ships aren’t just longer than smaller ships, they are usually wider as well. Different fantasy races might favor different designs (if only to give players different visual references for role playing purposes). And very large vessels might not have all of the masts along the center line.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm

There are MANY fantastic and beautiful sculpted boats and ships for diorama and display, some work as RPG terrain as well. These are great and work really well for tactical ship to ship combat where you need to be able to easily change the orientation of one ship to another.

What i want (and i hope others do to) is a modular terrain system that would build a wide variety of boats for the purposes of gaming. The main campaign i am in started on an Island. We have used well over a dozen different boats and ships during the campaign of everything from 15' long up to well over 60' long. Some have fore and aft castle, some don't. I do not have the storage (or budget) for a dozen different ships. As a result we mostly end up using the Paizo Ship Flip Mat... which accomplishes the task, but not very elegantly I am looking for a flat deck with rails, and a set of tiles with walls. This will let us create a fore and aft castle and if the adventure goes below deck simply make a second ship with walls next to the deck, and move from one to the other (unless specific boat profile terrain trays were made it would be too hard to remove layers). If we accept straight vertical ship sides (impossible for some i realize, but i just made a boat out of dungeon tiles) then the wood walls could compliment tudor and stone city buildings and make good barns and outbuildings as well.