Regluing magnets to magnetic pieces

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Regluing magnets to magnetic pieces

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 am

I had some JB Weld left over from when my grill handle came off and it worked fine on my gables; I just made sure not to use too much because it does have a gray/metal appearance. (and the grill handle is still firmly attached after 2+ years as well)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:11 am

Hi Guys!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Josh is right: a 2-part epoxy really works best, and will last "forever." It dries clear and is pretty amazing for gluing anything that needs to stay glued. I really like the Gorilla Glue 2-part epoxy, available at most hardware or box stores.

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

Another one I like is JB Weld - they have one that dries a dark gray - but not quite as dark as the Dwarvenite. That kind comes in 2 separate tubes rather than the dual barrel tube. Science!

http://www.jbweld.com/

While cyanoactylates (superglue) will work, they really won't stand the test of time, in my opinion. They dry too hard and the magnets will eventually come out again.

If gluing them back in is just too much for you, please let us know and we will arrange to replace your pieces.

Thanks!

rapdup
Goblin
Goblin

Post by rapdup » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 am

Just received my set. I haven't finished unpacking and already have a few gables with their magnets out. Has anyone tried the 2 part epoxy yet and can provide feedback. Possibly even recommend a specific product?

Thanks,
Nathan

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:41 pm

kraegar wrote:Depends on your epoxy if you want a smooth or rough surface. Many of them actually work better on a smooth surface. Check the label for your particular epoxy. A two part epoxy is definitely the better choice than a superglue for bonding to pvc. Be sure you face the magnet the right direction before gluing it on!

I had one pop out immediately as well, I'll probably re-glue all of them to be sure.
Thanks for the info!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Interesting, it seems like we need to get the Insane Clown Posse on the case for our gables.

dungeonmastermark
Orc
Orc

Post by dungeonmastermark » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:48 pm

i was thinking of adding a drop of epoxy to all of mine ( just to be safe)
prevent any lost magnets when i go to Cons and such

i am hoping i can find a epoxy that turns dark or black when cured..

kraegar
Goblin
Goblin

Post by kraegar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 am

Depends on your epoxy if you want a smooth or rough surface. Many of them actually work better on a smooth surface. Check the label for your particular epoxy. A two part epoxy is definitely the better choice than a superglue for bonding to pvc. Be sure you face the magnet the right direction before gluing it on!

I had one pop out immediately as well, I'll probably re-glue all of them to be sure.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:54 am

GODofwar wrote:Josh, you know dwarvenite better than I do. Would cyanoacrylate be better than epoxy? It would be thin enough to squeeze all around the magnet when reinserted, and one could put the piece over metal to force the magnet to reinsert all the way.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
I'm not Josh, but based on what I know of "super glue" and PVC bond strength would decrease over time since Dwarvenite is a close relative of PVC. This means that eventually the magnet would simply fall out even without strain. PVC can be hard to bond with adhesives, many PVC specific adhesives that I know of actually dissolve the PVC slightly to get two pieces to bond. From what I know they won't really grip the magnet very well. A two part epoxy should have a passable bond to the Dwarvenite, which could be enhanced by slightly roughing the surface to be bonded so the epoxy can flow into some crevices. I would probably try to make sure the magnet sunk just below surface level and also allow a bit of epoxy to flow over it. Unless you're using a metallicized epoxy that should not interfere with the magnet's field and grip (even then the interaction should be minimal), especially if they are as strong as indicated.

If anyone knows otherwise about anything herein, please offer up the info, but to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge that is how it would work.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 am

Josh, you know dwarvenite better than I do. Would cyanoacrylate be better than epoxy? It would be thin enough to squeeze all around the magnet when reinserted, and one could put the piece over metal to force the magnet to reinsert all the way.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:34 pm

zoroaster100 wrote:I remember during the Kickstarter some were concerned magnets could not be strong enough for the magnetic part concepts envisioned here. Well, they are strong enough alright! At one point I put the roof gables near each other on the table and witnessed two little magnets get ripped out of their respective gables and literally fly through the air to get attached to a third gable's magnet! Anyone have a recommendation on what to use to reattach the magnets to their corresponding pvc slot so they won't get easily ripped away by magnetism from other pieces? Superglue?
Josh is right, IMO. Two part epoxies are probably the strongest stuff I can think of that will bond to both reliably.