Corner Posts

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Corner Posts

Post by LordDust » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:21 pm

jchunick wrote:
You might be interested in this wired twine I got from Michaels in the flower arrangement section.
20151226_212844-600x1067.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try that.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:33 pm

LordDust wrote:
Runeweaver wrote:
dice4hire wrote:Corner posts are encouraging at it implies that KSIV will be pretty compatible with KSIII.

At least that is how I read it.
Agreed. That is how I see the evolution of DF and it's future expansions. I'm sitting here thinking about all the different expansions that could be used with the new building structure. Some people have briefly mentioned to Dwarven halls, Elven buildings, maybe even halfling buildings, but I see those as having less use in the overall set up. What really excites me is just the odd architecture that could be produced. Such as the wizard set ups that were mentioned above. Floating buildings, rickety looking towers, etc.
I would like to see some two story high supports that can be used to allow more variation in construction. I plan to also try to rig some sort of suspension design to aid in more craziness! I am thinking I will mess with twine, leather cord, and cheap chain. I'm not sure about using wire, but I won't rule it out entirely.

As to specific themed sets, I would think there are ways to do them so that they can be used exclusively to make themed buildings or mixed in with regular sets to add character and variety. This would broaden their use and appeal so that they are practical to produce in dwarvenite while still being applicable for satisfying the desire for themed sets. For halfing specifically, I'm not sure the style I would envision lends itself to this style of building.

Even if the castle set doesn't use the post design I would figure they would still be capable of being combined together in a few ways for interesting builds. I'll be pleased so long as there are ways to integrate the two together.
You might be interested in this wired twine I got from Michaels in the flower arrangement section.
20151226_212844-600x1067.jpg
20151226_212844-600x1067.jpg (218.95 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Runeweaver wrote:
dice4hire wrote:Corner posts are encouraging at it implies that KSIV will be pretty compatible with KSIII.

Agreed. That is how I see the evolution of DF and it's future expansions. I'm sitting here thinking about all the different expansions that could be used with the new building structure. Some people have briefly mentioned to Dwarven halls, Elven buildings, maybe even halfling buildings, but I see those as having less use in the overall set up. What really excites me is just the odd architecture that could be produced. Such as the wizard set ups that were mentioned above. Floating buildings, rickety looking towers, etc.
I would like to see some two story high supports that can be used to allow more variation in construction. I plan to also try to rig some sort of suspension design to aid in more craziness! I am thinking I will mess with twine, leather cord, and cheap chain. I'm not sure about using wire, but I won't rule it out entirely.

As to specific themed sets, I would think there are ways to do them so that they can be used exclusively to make themed buildings or mixed in with regular sets to add character and variety. This would broaden their use and appeal so that they are practical to produce in dwarvenite while still being applicable for satisfying the desire for themed sets. For halfing specifically, I'm not sure the style I would envision lends itself to this style of building.

Even if the castle set doesn't use the post design I would figure they would still be capable of being combined together in a few ways for interesting builds. I'll be pleased so long as there are ways to integrate the two together.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:36 pm

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Corner posts are encouraging at it implies that KSIV will be pretty compatible with KSIII.

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:53 pm

Woo Hoo Stefan, the "Birthday Boy". :D

So glad to hear about additional post types next year.
It'll save me a few drops of blood, now that I don't need to get out the X-Acto.

Have a great holiday/birthday. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:we had already gone way overboard in moulds...
Yeah, but it sure was fun!!!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Yes we had already thought about this in the last days of the campaign but we couldn't do it as we had already gone way overboard in moulds...

Will have new posts for sure in KS4

and maybe plugs for the floors as well:)

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 am

Interesting ideas. Making posts to bridge gaps with magnets on both sides would work, possibly. I wonder how close to the edge a magnet can be placed. From the pics I have seen pretty near, but not sure exactly. Clearly it cannot be all the way to the edge, but 1/8th inch, or 1/16th?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:43 am

Runeweaver wrote:Oh....now that is a really cool idea. Kinda mind blowing actually. :o Now I'm thinking of all types of ideas. Wow, just think of the expansions that Stefan could do with this!
You can also create a fairly large span that way as well with minimal lower reinforcement, perhaps one or two free floating floor panels wide depending on the precise tightness of the production model pins (so long as you aren't putting heavy minis in it anywho). I'm also thinking that one or two acrylic rods as supports in key places combined with some of these various posts could allow for some really crazy looking builds. I had also considered the possibilities for using the metal insert walls with magnets to allow for two more interesting scenarios:
The Escher style scene in The Labyrinth staring David Bowie? Yeah, there might be some ways to approximate that with relatively little modding.
Using magnets in some pieces to create arching pieces that can connect two overhanging spans so they reinforce each other (kind of like keystone construction, their own weight as they press downward to the center helps hold things, but the magnet gives the added stability so we don't need a perfect fit).

I think we can do quite a bit more with this than initially meets the eye. These thoughts are likely only scratching the surface. I'm looking forward to playing around with them and seeing what everyone else comes up with!