Corner Posts

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Corner Posts

Post by Law » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:37 am

I'm torn. On the one hand, I prefer simplicity -- it's enough to take out all my floors, walls, roofs, streets, and then my magnetic walls, light-up walls, magnetic accessories, other accessories, and so on - the more types of pieces I have to keep track of, the more time-consuming it is to set things up, put things away, in general it becomes a headache. Over time it creates a disincentive to use my DF at all, I just start to think it's too exhausting. Get home from work at 9, gotta be in bed by 11, long day at work - I don't want to start messing with something so complicated. So I prefer to streamline wherever possible, even knowing that it will restrict some possibilities.

On the other hand -- those magnetic walls and light-up walls are going to make it very tempting to use the new stuff for all future MBS-style builds. It's just too tempting, too cool, to be able to have lit candles on the tables, lit torches on the walls, hanging tapestries, a dragon head... lots of neat stuff.

And that means that I can see lots of ways to deal with the interior column issue. One would be a basic style double-post that doesn't protrude. Another would be different kinds of walls we could slot in as "interior walls" -- tapestries and curtains, or stone arches which would look super cool in a stone building. And, finally, there could be things that slide in and aren't full walls -- statues, stone posts, whatever. Anything to add variety and intrigue to an interior space.

There are a lot of cool ways to exploit that little "outlet"...

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:28 am

Love the new pictures in the update, but have had a concern about the posts since the campaign.
William wrote:Did this a few days ago and didn't really have much to say about it, but thought I would share it anyway.
Corner Post configurations -
Post%20%20Ideas.jpg
Post%20%20Ideas.jpg (154.76 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Non wall 4-corner post (something like this from MBS) -
Post.jpg
Post.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
:D
New pictures in update show exposed V-Grooves at interior corners and extended walls.
Not real sure about the centered wall on the double post, it's awfully bulky in the center wall placement (second blue outline from left).
New Pic 01.jpg
New Pic 01.jpg (161.29 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

:?: Dwarven Forge and/or Stefan -
Will there be a few new post types introduced in the future?

;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:30 am

I can see two advantages to Stefan's design

1) Straddling the center means that you are supporting both of the tiles above should your large building be multi level - this didn't occur to me at first because i am thinking of my large floor plans primarily for their use as interior spaces

2) The center notch allows or the creation of 1" thick walls with special purposes - like a bookcase/secret door, hearth wall, even a bar

We shall have to wait and see...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 am

Seeing it's just a representative picture, I'm assuming the piece was born out off the talk on the Comments section. But I still think other posts would be more useful. ;)

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 am

Would assume he has A Plan in mind, and is not just sculpting details for no reason, or that are superfluous.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:24 am

William wrote:I really agree with you Kitenerd, I don't think the one shown is even necessary. Just a single wall post and a corner post will fill that function. That yellow one shouldn't have the third groove, it's a piece that I don't think will be that useful.
Unless Stefan has sculpted items that come off the wall and have pegs that tie two tiles together.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 pm

I really agree with you Kitenerd, I don't think the one shown is even necessary. Just a single wall post and a corner post will fill that function. That yellow one shouldn't have the third groove, it's a piece that I don't think will be that useful.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:15 pm

I would probably pay for an addon pack that has the more cosmetically appealing posts in it (like the flat 180). I'm buying DF because it is functional AND pretty. I can handle a certain amount of odd bits or corners here and there, but that three way seems to me to be for a specific use.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:40 pm

My point is i don't see that groove as being necessary - best way to accomplish this is end post and corner post - that puts the wall one one side or the other (as opposed to straddling the middle of two tiles)

I guess i was expecting a flat 180 wall connector so we could make a 3x7 interior (or 7x7 or whatever) without a distracting V groove sticking into the room
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:36 pm

The yellow 180 post representaion on KS stretch goal picture looks wrong. The V Groove should be sticking out from the post like the corner, or the wall shifts that 1/4" or so. See page one of this thread near bottom for my post with picture of corner posts. The one on the stretch goal map/picture in yellow is flat with groove into post, it should be like all the other V Grooves. That's all. I know it's just waiting to be sculpted.