Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

Post by bernyleung » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 pm

We need lots and lots more ruins. Of all types. I can guarantee that ruined houses, ruined castles, and ruined temples will get 30x more (dis)play time for me than any house in a tree.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Speaking of 'trouble'.
I'm more of a Tribble [S.T.] fan (old-dude syndrome), Ewoks [S.W.] were a bit annoying in my opinion.
Never liked that stretch of three films, sure glad the series is no longer in "his" hands. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Whew, good thing he said SINGLE Ewok. We were almost in trouble there.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:14 am

but they are so cute and definitely outdoors....
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 am

lostpict wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am
I have no doubts that DF could make some awesome huge trees that could hold walkways, flets, house, etc. I also have no doubts that many trogs will not buy them and others will. I also do not have doubts that many non-trogs will buy them. Can Stefan make money at it? I don't know, but suspect so. The real question is does it fit into the story of Valoria that Stefan is slowly unwinding for us? I hope so. Hip-hip-hurray and a merry Huzzah for great big, huge, ginormous, Dwarvenite redwoods where merry Ewoks, Sylvan Elves, and dour Galadhrim can cavort.
We remind ourselves constantly (or try too) that DF is set in Stefan's world of Mythras, so what ever they produce will be in keeping with his vision.

But also this is an RPG fantasy world which clearly has a Dwarven contingent (Duh!) so in our mind must have an Eleven contingent amongst other races, logical !?

Having said that, whilst DF have spent a lot of time underground I don't believe they have ever fleshed out a Dwarven hold. So why they would do a specific Elven outpost? I don't know.

Unless......

They do both! two different encounters in KSVI a Dwarven Hold and an Elven Outpost.

So Simple its Genius.

BTW if we see a single Ewok they are gonna get visit from the boys.... capiche!
I am the Game and I want to Play

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am

I have no doubts that DF could make some awesome huge trees that could hold walkways, flets, house, etc. I also have no doubts that many trogs will not buy them and others will. I also do not have doubts that many non-trogs will buy them. Can Stefan make money at it? I don't know, but suspect so. The real question is does it fit into the story of Valoria that Stefan is slowly unwinding for us? I hope so. Hip-hip-hurray and a merry Huzzah for great big, huge, ginormous, Dwarvenite redwoods where merry Ewoks, Sylvan Elves, and dour Galadhrim can cavort.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 am
That's an interesting take; only really sculpt the first 10' of the forest. I've seen people use stumps for trees before so they don't get in the way of actually playing a game. I wonder if Stefan and crew would be ok with not fully sculpting the environment. I guess we kind of got that with the burrows and some of the roots; they are "cut off" just like a tall tree would look like in your example.
Why have roofs in city system? You do not even need walls. Toilet paper rolls and grease pencils on plain paper maps do not get in the way of playing the game. I see this argument used to oppose pained card board tiles. I am sorry it looks expletive deleted.

I also see this word need. Sorry I do not need any of this. I like it because it looks nice.If it does not look nice,I do not want it.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm
I just can't see the need for gigantic trees with houses in them as the basis for a DF KS. This is way too niche even compared to Castles.
Boooo!

we don't care if your factually correct.

Booooo!

Still plenty of love for berny down in the burrows :)
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 am
If DF does trees, personally I would want them NOT as a focus of a KS, but as an add-on.
That was kinda the point of our original post, we believe (along with other Valorians) that KSVI will follow the KSV line of encounters.

So we saw Big Trees as an encounter and modular in such a way that gigantic trees could be scaled down. So a pledge level of 2 or 3 big 12" trees could be built as 5 or 6 normal 6" trees. We also envisaged that the tree would plug into a Tree stump allowing removal when game play dictates. You could easily add tree platforms, walkways and stairs to create a Wood Elf city feel.

We push Big Trees because no one does them, but they would not support a KS in its own right, but as an encounter in an outland themed KS that can also be used as 'normal' trees we can see as feasible.

Just doing bog standard trees which would be the direct equivalent to what is already on the market has much less appeal, but would be necessary to 'complete' an outdoor environment KS.

The more we think about these trees the more I think they can be done and would look amazing! We see them as a somewhere between KSV Burrows and KSIV Bridged Towers.

However its not down to us humble bunnies, its down to if DF see it as a pledge winner, or Stefan decides 'we are doing this because it's cool'
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:49 am

James Paladin of Valoria wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 am
What if it was styled like caverns? River tiles, river banks, and floor tiles with shrubs or brush instead of stalagmites. Walls of the tiles could be modeled to look like tree trunks, brambles, or thick underbrush. So while it won't be focused on big trees or scenery, it could resemble the elven set, but be made to look more like a forrest path.
This is a practical suggestion ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 am

If needed, I suppose they could utilize elevation blocks behind those walls. Then make tree tops to place on those similar to how the roof pieces work on the CBS. That could also be a way of incorporating structures into the trees, or perhaps a separate add on that uses the style of the towers from Castles to make trees. Battlements changed into floor and support structures for the rooms in the tops of the trees. I understand it would require different molds, costly I might add, but the groundwork is there. Same concept different theme.
Paladin Lawful Good NOT Lawful Nice