Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm
Perhaps river bank or shore pieces that slope all the way down to the tabletop so they work better with mats or terrain trays.
Sounds like a great part of a docks set! :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Perhaps river bank or shore pieces that slope all the way down to the tabletop so they work better with mats or terrain trays.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am
If DF does an outdoor theme, I can see them going with a mat for the ground layer instead of tiles. While I would love magnetic shubbery/etc. I think it's much more economical to have pieces you place on a mat. I love my Hotzmat, I'm sure DF could do something similar if they already are now branching off to terrain trays.

If they do go with a mat, it might be good to do sloped transitions to go from the mat to a floor tile height.
I think this is a practical approach.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am
If they do go with a mat, it might be good to do sloped transitions to go from the mat to a floor tile height.
The nice thing also about some sloped pieces is that they could be done to work as sloped mountain tiles, rough river banks and just plain elevation slopes anywhere including non flat villages.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

If DF does an outdoor theme, I can see them going with a mat for the ground layer instead of tiles. While I would love magnetic shubbery/etc. I think it's much more economical to have pieces you place on a mat. I love my Hotzmat, I'm sure DF could do something similar if they already are now branching off to terrain trays.

106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 am

I'd like to see a gorge/chasm. I know we can do some right now with using negative space builds with KS5 ledges and KS2 cracked floor pieces. But what I'm talking about is a 4 inch tall, 2-4 inch wide, 1-2 inch deep set of sloped cliff pieces (maybe 3 straight sculpts, 1 inside corner, 1 outside corner). Have a magnet or peg system where you could add a rope or wooden bridge. As a bonus, these could double as moat walls.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am

Yes, I was unclear. I always get unpainted, so I tend to post that way.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 am

Believe it or not we down in the burrow have had some thoughts on this, are you sitting comfortably? …….

With the DoD encounter system each encounter was built using the same building blocks (Walls, floors etc) with complimentary pieces added (pools, daises, bridges, curved walls etc) as they were all in the same environment Walled Dungeons. The one that didn't follow that system were the burrows. There were also other theme variations (Marble Jade etc).

So would KSVI follow that system?

Obviously depends on the scope, if it were caverns 'the sequel' you could see that happening.
An outdoors theme is not so obvious due to the variety of outdoor environments. For instance a wooded environment would have different floor pieces to a mountain or grassland environment.

What will DF do ? who knows - do they know yet? how much of a distraction will the proposed small mini only KS be?

I do agree that KSVI will probably follow the encounter system. so what encounters will they offer ?

I like what kodiakbear posted but it shows a slight change to the DoD system in that most of the encounters will probably not all be built on the same basic building blocks, as he covers a number of different environments.

The consequence of this is that there will be a lot of different pieces, so I think we will see a reduced amount of encounters covering 3 or 4 different environments.

So what are the potential environments:

Caverns
Mountains/Hills
Urban/Castle
Forest
Desert
Volcanic
Grassland
Sea

Some of the above environments could use a number of the same pieces but with a different paint scheme. For instance Volcanic could be an alternative theme to a Mountain or Cavern environment (they did one in KS2), a large stand lone rock or standing stone can be the same for Forest, Desert, Volcanic and Mountains.

Caverns would also be complimentary to KS2 as elements of DoD was for KS1
Urban could be seen as a complimentary set to CBS and possibly Castles.

One other thing DF do is make their offerings stand alone, you don’t need to own any other DF product to use what’s on offer in the KS, so while they might offer the odd add-on (Alleyways in KSIV) as complimentary to a previous KS it will still be usable in the current KS.
This makes castle pieces unlikely as you will most likely need a castle to use them and I can’t see DF offering up another castle! Ruins can work stand alone and you can have different paint jobs for the different environments (sand, volcanic, urban maybe forest?).

There has been much talk about trees and obviously a Forest environment would need trees, but there are a lot of trees on the market but does anyone offer a complete forest? Whilst you could certainly put one together, DF could offer something like a complete 24”x24” forest.
But they could go further and offer something truly unique with an Elven city of linked treehouses and truly massive modular trees (think Rivendell, Lothlórien, Silvanost and Qualinost) giving you a gorgeous 3D playing area where trees are more than just scenery they are terrain!

The other thing to keep in mind is DF terrain is for DnD/RPG and as was found with CBS and Castles there is less need for these environments in your classic RPG adventures.

Also if they are offering different environments would they need to offer transition pieces? To merge urban with forest, forest with mountain or grassland ? again these in a number of cases could be the same pieces with alternative paint jobs.

What would I like to see ?

I’d like to see it all!

I think many of the above could be broken down to some small basic sets which then allow the backer to get as many multiples to expand the environment to a size of their choice, together with more unique pieces.

A new style of CBS dwelling could easily be offered, together with the much touted docks.
A new set of river pieces that could be used in almost all the environments.

I included the Sea environment as large 4x4 8x8 water tiles have been asked for and combined with the new river and docks pieces and a sea paint job – voila!

Another option I’d like to see is roads or tracks, particularly through a Forest environment, ideal for ambush encounters and could also be use in grassland and other environments.

All in all I think DF could blow our ears off with KSVI whilst potentially keeping the number of pieces lower than previous KSers but offer up more variation with paint schemes – this of course assumes that this does not cause massive headaches at the factory.

Right time to bring another rambling post to a close……
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 am

dice4hire I was not happy on the first day of KS5 with the encounter system but it grew on me and like you I expect it to be the default system in the future or at least for KS6.

I could see a few small encounters just over $50 unpainted but if you are talking less than $50 painted that would not be likely IMO.

I take it your idea for small and large is so people could have a little of something or a lot more of it in one of two encounters. How would you feel if they tried to make more small to mid size encounters and showed what you could make with two or three of them?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:00 am

While I would prefer to not have the encounter system I am pretty sure it will be the default going on from here.

In a new KS I would prefer the areas not be connected as much as the DoD was. I know you can play DoD separately, but the intent from the beginning was to put it together and that affected the design.

WIf I must go with encounters what I would like to see is a smaller and larger set that overlap pretty heavily. A small pool surounded by rocks and maybe trees and vegetation and then a short river with pools that is 4-5 times as large.

Same with a cavern could be done easily.

I think this would halp get both new and old, or those with deeper pockets and those without to have osme good choices. KSV did have a few cheaper encounter options, but I wouild like to see some at about 50 or less, more than KSV had.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria