Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 am

That's an interesting take; only really sculpt the first 10' of the forest. I've seen people use stumps for trees before so they don't get in the way of actually playing a game. I wonder if Stefan and crew would be ok with not fully sculpting the environment. I guess we kind of got that with the burrows and some of the roots; they are "cut off" just like a tall tree would look like in your example.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 am

What if it was styled like caverns? River tiles, river banks, and floor tiles with shrubs or brush instead of stalagmites. Walls of the tiles could be modeled to look like tree trunks, brambles, or thick underbrush. So while it won't be focused on big trees or scenery, it could resemble the elven set, but be made to look more like a forrest path.
Paladin Lawful Good NOT Lawful Nice

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 am

If DF does trees, personally I would want them NOT as a focus of a KS, but as an add-on.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:25 am
I do not think it will be cost effective for DF to produce giant trees. I do think it would be possible for DF to produce a modular tree system that would accommodate the City builder system.
I agree! 12" trees would be better. ;)

Pizzabagel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Pizzabagel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 am

+1 for the idea for frontier-style forts that settlers or monsters might use: cruder wooden barricades, staked barriers, earthen barriers, dug moat, wooden watchtower/guard tower, ladders. And trees, lots and lots of trees and bushes for tactical combat, rogues and rangers to hide behind, etc.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:25 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 am
bernyleung wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm
I just can't see the need for gigantic trees with houses in them as the basis for a DF KS. This is way too niche even compared to Castles.
While I myself am not interested in DF making three foot high trees with Lothlorien style stairs and houses around them, I am so desperate to see DF do Dwarvenite terrain that takes us out of human cities that it would at least be refreshing to see gigantic trees.
I do not think it will be cost effective for DF to produce giant trees. If I manage to get one of the laser cut kits I will replace the center section with twisted wild grape vines.I prefer natural materials and flock. I despise plastic trees as much as Williams hates flock. I do think it would be possible for DF to produce a modular tree system that would accommodate the City builder system. Some Swiss Family Robinson style tree houses would be possible with only the addition of some well thought out Tree Trunks.

I put my avatar model photo in to illustrate how terrain does not have to be large to be effective. Flock does not fall off when you know how to put it on.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm
I just can't see the need for gigantic trees with houses in them as the basis for a DF KS. This is way too niche even compared to Castles.
While I myself am not interested in DF making three foot high trees with Lothlorien style stairs and houses around them, I am so desperate to see DF do Dwarvenite terrain that takes us out of human cities that it would at least be refreshing to see gigantic trees.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 pm

I have been pushing for outdoors for some time. I hope we finally get it. SOme good parts have already been released, but a full nature KS would be nice.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Personally I would like to see an outdoor setting. Barbarian villages, wood forts, river through a forrest setting. I just think it has so many uses. Combined with the CBS and Castles set for barbarians attacking. Use as a stand alone setting for encounters while traveling. Add it to the dungeon or cavern sets for encounters leading into, or escaping from these areas. Set up like the encounters part of the KS5 i could see this being a great way to introduce a wilderness campaign, or as a way to expand on our already existing set pieces. Honestly though I just want some barbarians with a grand mead hall lol.
Paladin Lawful Good NOT Lawful Nice

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm