Dwarven Forge in Ruins?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarven Forge in Ruins?

Post by Oldent » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:10 am

I do not have the small brick molds I do use the ruined field stone molds. I often distress individual cast. Hirst Arts is a very good way to add custom parts. I like 4 bot floor molds as well.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't always have wrecked walls...I find that 'collapsed ceiling ruins' (scattered rocks, ordinary small rocks) and other debris work fine. Fact is, if a wall is ruined in a dungeon the passage is probably shut....but these Hirst pieces are great.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 pm
The collapsing wall that is supported by beams, I love that piece.
OMG Would love that piece (or multiple...)
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:48 am

I also like ruins and find they would fit my builds pretty much all the time, well dungeon builds that is. I tend to paint my DF in a less pristine paint style anyway, so ruins tend to fit in well.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Animewarped » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 pm

I would love a lot of ruins like that made of Dwarvenite. I think it would add a great effect and with maybe just 5-6 different wall molds, you could create a very different environment with your existing DF pieces

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 pm

The collapsing wall that is supported by beams, I love that piece.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 pm

I love ruins and rubble but don't have enough of it. I should take the time to craft some bits of it to scatter around my dungeon builds. Some of the best ideas for this that I have seen came from the HirstArts boards, a guy named Caveman. I would love DF to make more sets like this. Here are some examples:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (135.79 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:23 pm

It has varied by campaign. Are there many unexplored remains of ancient and dead civilizations? Some have had this sort of motif. Others have had current and thriving civilizations that tend to re-purpose and maintain things, then the motif is more adventuring in civilized lands (guards, thieves, assassinations, etc.) split with wilderness adventure (monsters both civilized like Illithid and not so much so, working against "dark magics" of the wilderness to expand the borders, tensions and possibly war with Elven peoples, etc.). There can of course be ruins in the latter, but they aren't usually emphasized much. We've also played campaigns that have had a mix of ruins and current, but those have usually been premade, like the Forgotten Realms or Earth Dawn.

I would actually like to expand my collections for ruins and modern. Budgetary and space constraints have limited my forays in those directions for the time being. For ruined locations I largely set the tone with the way the interiors are arranged and accessories like rubble.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Dwarven Forge in Ruins?

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 am

I do not generally DM or write adventures in pretty pristine dungeons, sewers or caves. I have seen many great setups of DF with everything in a dungeon clean and even the carpet looking freshly vacuumed but the adventurers in my game world often find the places they venture into much more used or in ruins.

I was sad to see that KS5 did not have more ruins pieces after seeing the ruined columns and walls shown in teaser pictures. In the end we have the Ledges and Angle Ledges to look forward to but not any of the other awesome ruins that were shown.

So that got me wondering if many of your games are in pristine environments or if like me you enjoy your adventures in ruins?