Kickstarter or Pre-order for RESIN Caverns, Rivers and Lakes

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Kickstarter or Pre-order for RESIN Caverns, Rivers and Lakes

Post by William » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:01 pm

My wish is when the KS craze subsides, they might go back to basics and revitalize these older sets and possibly grow them into more expansions. I missed quite a few of the "fancy sets" between 2006 and 2013. I own many bowtie sets of Dungeons and some Caverns (no water though, just missed those) and would love seeing the resin sets back in-stock someday in the future. I'm in no rush, I hope I have another 20+ years on the planet. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I swear, I would consider a little donation just to keep the old resin sets alive and in stock. May be in exchange for a forum badge, some crazy attachment to the forum "title", may be a LE mini...? some merchandise? some special deal offering on the kickstarters? if 1000 of us put 10-20-30$ I think it would help...

Patreon could be a nice place to set something like that. We could get to become Dwarven Patrons!!!!

I'm serious, sometimes it breaks my heart thinking that there will be no continuity with these sets even though I am well served with all of them. I would like more people to have them.

It wouldn't hurt to have some simple set (3, 4 or 5 pieces) of a whole new environment, with nice details, released in resin from time to time, just like Catacombs these past years. Catacombs is the 5h1t...!!! (I hope that in english means what I think: "crazy awesome", at least I say it meaning that..).

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 pm
I think kickstarter is too large a marketplace (I know it sounds weird) for resin, just due to the time involved in making and painting each set. The timeframe for delivery would be so wide... if 500 people backed they could probably do it in around 6-9 months, but if 2500 people backed it may take YEARS if backers want the same quality they have got in the past with the resin sets.
If we can't get 2500 backers for Dwarvenite, there is no way we'd get 2500 backers for a reprint of resin - which many people on the forum here already own. It would be a niche thing, I wouldn't be surprised at around 500 backers. It takes a year for us now. Worst case, limit the pledge levels by number and segment them into waves.

I really want them to explore the water sets again. There must be a solution to getting them made. If it costs more, I wish they would share with us how much more to see whether there is still enough interest. Is it double the cost of the sets from a few years ago? That is about the going rate on Ebay for water sets, and maybe 50% higher for Caverns often. Granted I can't afford the Ebay rates, but if I were going to actually pay that much I'd rather give it directly to DF to get a few more of those sets made.

A mini Kickstarter that focuses on a single style reprint (ie. Caverns, Lakes, RoTA, etc.) would tell them the demand for that set. It's like a publicized pre-order system. They could include a few accents or figures to add something new, and if it doesn't fund then so be it. If the Kickstarter included all reprints it would be much harder to know the demand for each one until it is over and funded.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 pm

I think kickstarter is too large a marketplace (I know it sounds weird) for resin, just due to the time involved in making and painting each set. The timeframe for delivery would be so wide... if 500 people backed they could probably do it in around 6-9 months, but if 2500 people backed it may take YEARS if backers want the same quality they have got in the past with the resin sets.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 pm

I'll just say - Please NO, not in the same year, let alone the same KS.
Ever heard of self restraint or a budget? :shock: Geez!!!
I love the idea of bringing these back, but I can't keep up as it has been for two years now. I know you have heard it before, but for some reason people keep coming up with new ways to spend more and more. :cry:
Yikes, can we all just slow this rocket ship down a bit? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :o :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I would be happy to see a Resin pledge level in with the Dwarvenite kickstarters. The Resin pledge level wouldn't have to be a huge selection, but it would be great to introduce Dwarvenite customers to the Resin sets, and simultaneously expand the Resin sets to please those of us who still prefer them...

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 pm

I absolutely would back this. I don't understand why it is a big deal. Keep it simple, not as produced as these, so that it is not a big deal or loss of time if it doesn't fund. There must be an answer for the clear resin - that is obviously the reason why people love their resin water tiles that, if I recall correctly, go for around $300 for a set of 10 plain water the last couple of years.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm

I think this is a very reasonable (and useful) request.
It can also apply to other resin sets I guess.

I hope DF can provide an official answer to it and this thread won't remain buried within the KS5 frenzy.

Thanks for asking Darksdale.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 pm

I know the resin water has caused them trouble and Stefan said they could only produce it during certain conditions during certain times of the year or something. That's all I know.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Darksdale
Goblin
Goblin

Kickstarter or Pre-order for RESIN Caverns, Rivers and Lakes

Post by Darksdale » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am

Dear Dwarven Forge,

Is running a very straightforward Kickstarter or pre-order for resin Caverns, Rivers and Lakes possible?

From what I understand, the reason these resin sets have not been re-ordered and re-stocked is it requires a large order upfront with the risk of many sets sitting in warehouse storage for an undetermined amount of time which of course costs money.

If there was a predetermined number of customers that would purchase these ahead of time and provide the funds would ordering and stocking these items be a realistic possibility?

If there are other logistical reasons that this request cannot be honored would you shed some more light on it so we have a better understanding. Thank you for your time and consideration.