KS6 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS6 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Post by Oldent » Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 am

envirotex
Envirotex is furniture finish. I have used it it works. There are much better and much easier to use resin products. Be sure to look up Smooth On resin products.

I would put envirotex in the 30 coats of varnish category.Look into thinner clear fast set embedding resin for deep cast. Almost everything is easier than envirotex It is difficult to mix correctly without bubbles. It is thick and doesn't flow well.It works best as furniture finish.
It does look nice if it turns out.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Wed May 31, 2017 12:33 am

Great stuff!

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Tue May 30, 2017 10:48 pm

I love envirotex lite too.

Here are some photos of a river I did a few years ago. And a little campside pond.

I also did this dragon cave stream and pond, about an inch thick. Came out nice and murky.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm
Below is a pic by LadySabelle's of her five sets and it makes my hope we see more mountain pieces in the future.

A waterfall would look great coming down that cliff.

That's half the sets, btw. ;)

I might have been too tired to notice it, but was Envirotex Lite and/or 2 part-epoxy mentioned for water effects? They are what I started on and I've loved the effects. I can't find the pictures, but I did some waterfall pieces with leftover Envirotex Lite on a partially crumpled plastic garbage bag. Wrinkle the bag then pour lines of Envirotex Lite along the lines of the wrinkles. Before it's fully set, (cured enough to hold it's texture but soft enough to bend) wearing gloves to prevent fingerprints, drape the pieces over your rocks. Add additional splashes using 2-part epoxy.

Here's one of my many fountains using the Envirotex Lite method explained on the Hirst Arts website.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 pm

oldent, thank you very much!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks for the nice comments

There are lots of ways to do water. William mentioned Triple Thick. I have tried it. It works very well for small pools.
Modge podge works well for large projects. Some of the Railroad guys use as many as 30 coats.

You can use it as water effect

Only one coat plus water effect. The Mod Podge is very cost effective.

Two part resin is costly and very time consuming. There are a few things that have to be done with special embedding resins. The two part furniture finish is the most common way to do medium depth pools.

Some people like Stillwater from Vallejo. Woodland Scenic Realistic water is my favorite.

I have not worked out my favorite way to use LED''s. I will work on locating photos.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:40 pm
It would not be too difficult to make a waterfall set similar to what is being purposed by using the mountain set (elevation and/or cliff sets) and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. I just got back from Mt Saint Helens and I saw several waterfalls with water just pouring down a rockface.
My how to water fall Photos were lost with the Upgrade. I can't log in as Oldman Willow and the KS 4 tag keeps disappearing. Probably has somthing to do with E mail addresses :?

I think you will be able to add water falls to some of the new mountain blocks. The Photo illustrates how to use Woodland Scenic Water Effects to create the water effect. When it drys clear peal it off and attach it to the rock face with more Water Effect.

It will take a little while but it will clear.

Tall water falls can be created with Woodland Scenic Water Effect or even hot glue and plastic package.

To make an edge with Woodland Scenic Realistic Water make a dam with pink foam covered with clear packing tape.

Just clamp it in place. It does not mater if you use the Realistic Water before or after The Water Effect. It depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Water Effect And Realistic Water are brand names vs water effects.

The Water Effect will dry clear.

a repainted Cowboy toy waterfall

How to paint water with Dwarven Forge colors

Planning the pond for Rune Wars

I used the card template to cut a hardboard base and glued it up with carpenters glue it was primed black and the stone was painted.

I painted the pond base coat with Deepwater. I removed the grit and added another coat of Deepwater.

I always forget to take a photo of the Shallow water paint step. Wait for the paint to dry and add a thin coat of Realistic Water

The blue is a refection. I flocked the pond and waited for it to dry. Use a bead of thick white glue around the edge to prevent the Realistic Water from creeping into the flock.It will dry clear and flat.

Dude! You do such amazing work. Ya, like that.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 am

That's is great looking water -
Going to have to give it a try.
Oldent wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:40 pm
It would not be too difficult to make a waterfall set similar to what is being purposed by using the mountain set (elevation and/or cliff sets) and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. I just got back from Mt Saint Helens and I saw several waterfalls with water just pouring down a rockface.
My how to water fall Photos were lost with the Upgrade. I can't log in as Oldman Willow and the KS 4 tag keeps disappearing. Probably has somthing to do with E mail addresses :?

I think you will be able to add water falls to some of the new mountain blocks. The Photo illustrates how to use Woodland Scenic Water Effects to create the water effect. When it drys clear peal it off and attach it to the rock face with more Water Effect.

It will take a little while but it will clear.

Tall water falls can be created with Woodland Scenic Water Effect or even hot glue and plastic package.

To make an edge with Woodland Scenic Realistic Water make a dam with pink foam covered with clear packing tape.

Just clamp it in place. It does not mater if you use the Realistic Water before or after The Water Effect. It depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Water Effect And Realistic Water are brand names vs water effects.

The Water Effect will dry clear.

a repainted Cowboy toy waterfall

How to paint water with Dwarven Forge colors

Planning the pond for Rune Wars

I used the card template to cut a hardboard base and glued it up with carpenters glue it was primed black and the stone was painted.

I painted the pond base coat with Deepwater. I removed the grit and added another coat of Deepwater.

I always forget to take a photo of the Shallow water paint step. Wait for the paint to dry and add a thin coat of Realistic Water

The blue is a refection. I flocked the pond and waited for it to dry. Use a bead of thick white glue around the edge to prevent the Realistic Water from creeping into the flock.It will dry clear and flat.

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 am

Wow! I love this stuff. Bookmarked for future reference. Thank you so much!!!!

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am

That's awesome, Oldent!