Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

Post by William » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You nailed the idea, Kodiakbear. Not Bob, but the previous post. ;)
I couldn't add to that. I'll try to sketch something in the near future.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:34 am

Oldent wrote:
Image[/url]

The tree in the back is a great adaption of the WOTC pre-painted Treant mini I think, but with it hidden my first thought was it looked like a Treant version of Bob Ross.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:24 am

Some of the trees that are posted in this thread are part way toward a Dwarvenite Modular Tree but just like the Playmobil trees they are not there.

Playmobil trees are of course toys, they are of the wrong scale and not detailed enough but in spite of that they are far better than some of the RPG craft trees on the internet or the cheap rail road terrain trees that are expected to be placed and then left. That IMO is why many grow to hate tree options as (either fragile or dumping crap all over the place)

Some of the tree pictures that have been posted show a trunk that branches have been stuck into and then foliage glued on to.

As I said before

"If a sculptor sculpted three or four trunks each with three or four different attachable limbs and attachable leaf sprays but made sure all were inter changeable a person would have a small patch of trees."

So how is a Dwarvenite tree going to be better than what is out there. In another thread I was reminded that people will pledge for pre-painted terrain KSs far more than they will for unpainted terrain KSs so for one DF has the chance to sell trees to all the people out there who are to lazy to paint and flock trees plus sell unpainted trees in brown and green Dwarvenite.

Now if Stefan and crew do Modular Dwarvenite Trees they are going to make sure they are to the right scale have awesome details, they can design them from the start to be modular and they can design them to not only look great but be useful with minis (that is something that very few terrain trees have) the attachable leaf sprays can be set to be three dimensional but they can also be set after coming out of the mold to be flat (like in the Playmobil set forest lodge 4207) allowing a place for minis to set.

One of the things DF has been doing more and more of is making terrain that is not just 3d but is for battles that are 3 dimensional or environments that are 3 dimensional. A forest of trees may make your diorama look great but if the trees are just in the way, fragile or dumping crap all over the place what good are they to the average gamer. But if that patch of trees is the place of the 3d battle, if those trees are ever changing due to modularity, if those trees are nearly indestructible, if those trees are pre-painted that might make the difference.

And heck nothing says DF could not sell the trunk and limbs and barren winter limbs in a winter tree pack that could be used by the flockers and foliage people so they can do their thing to with Dwarven Forge's Dwarvenite Modular Trees
Last edited by kodiakbear on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:55 am

I like that first tree Oldent, it would just need a variation with leaf clusters instead of twigs at the branch ends. I didn't mean to take over the idea thread, but my thoughts are a mixture of all of these plant sculpts along with Lady Sabbelle's leaf sculpting on her hedge maze.

This company didn't get to thier trees in the KS they did. I might have ordered some but again they would be resin and breakable.
CE Trees 001.jpg
CE Trees 001.jpg (136.08 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
CE Trees 002.jpg
CE Trees 002.jpg (137.24 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
CE Trees 003.jpg
CE Trees 003.jpg (145.28 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
CE Trees 004.jpg
CE Trees 004.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
CE Trees 005.jpg
CE Trees 005.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
CE Trees 006.jpg
CE Trees 006.jpg (162.85 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Here are those Citedel trees, the leaves are too flat for my taste.
citadel wood3.jpg
citadel wood3.jpg (145.01 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
citadel wood4.jpg
citadel wood4.jpg (136.75 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
I like the leaf sculpting on most of the MBA trees, but very fragile.
MBA Trees 001.jpg
MBA Trees 001.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
MBA Trees 002.jpg
MBA Trees 002.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
MBA Trees 003.jpg
MBA Trees 003.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
There are also leaves and clusters on these I like -
Dent7028crop.jpg
Dent7028crop.jpg (252.32 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Dent7038crop.jpg
Dent7038crop.jpg (188.23 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Dent7048crop.jpg
Dent7048crop.jpg (204.8 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Dent7053crop.jpg
Dent7053crop.jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
ent001.jpg
ent001.jpg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
These are twisted wire and I thing the branch idea could help in design. Although these look like Bonsai trees, I don't mind because I love Bonsai.
p90127111crop.jpg
p90127111crop.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
p90127162crop.jpg
p90127162crop.jpg (118.89 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
p90127163crop.jpg
p90127163crop.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
p93547580crop.jpg
p93547580crop.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Off that toy PDF, I like the plug-in idea and nest with bird and eggs. I also liked the little low bush.
TT01.jpg
TT01.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
TT02.jpg
TT02.jpg (69.45 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
TT03.jpg
TT03.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
I do like the idea of a giant tree with useable interior, but I was only shooting for a 4" to 10" height.
Maybe two sizes that can be modified an 1" or 2" either way, to create anything inbetween. Also would prefer not to have to glue together, so they can be changed, possibly a tappered pin at base of branches, leaf clusters and twigies?

I'll have to draw up something or possibly sculpt some Trunk-Branch-Twigs or Leaf Cluster ideas. I just really suck at the leaf part of the sculpting, but we've seen the talent at DF. That's why I think it could be the best out there. With just a few options you can multiply the variations consumers can create. Anyway, enough on the trees, what about rivers, creeks, wetlands, ...?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:34 pm

I haven't seen a fully plastic tree I've liked yet. If DF pulled it off I might be interested, but I'm not sure that it can be done in a way that would appeal to me.

I would still like to see garden plots for City Builder. Mud/dirt tiles and grass type tiles that have the ability to have magnetic accessories attached to them. A metal plate in them like the rooftops if that could be worked out would do the job. Then we can have hedgerows, shrubs, and other garden bits that can be attached with magnetic bases. This lets us add gardens into the city, yards, and even use them as outdoors bits outside the town if we like. Small dwarvenite shrubs and hedgerows can probably be flocked by those of us that prefer that look. I figure if trees are included and I'm not a fan of the result I would be able to trade them off for other bits I want and then I can make my own with magnetic bases to attach.

These would allow for elevated gardens above parts of town, stable yards, home gardens, or even larger gardens for a noble estate. I think these would be versatile and useful without trying to build an entire outdoor set and exploding the size of the KS.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:11 am

Here is a WIP photo adding Woodland Scenic Armatures to a GW tree.

I did not want to use the foliage on this tree.

These trees were produced for a short time by Alien Dungeon . You can see that they were designed to use the Woodland Scenic armatures. DF could make PVC trunks. I think William would prefer PVC foliage as well.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:48 am

I wouldn't want a dwarvenite forest, but I could picture a dwarvenite tree as a centrepiece that towers over the rest of the forest, perhaps with a hollow trunk, or as an entrance to a dungeon-like maze, where the passage walls are earth and roots like the inside of a tree.
Blue Prophet wrote:I don't think a fully realized outdoor wilderness environment made up of only dwarvenite is a good idea. But a few things can be made that will supplement the "outdoor" setups of cities and castles.

As someone who missed out on the Woodlands set when it was a bit more reasonably priced on the site, I'd like something similar that could be used as hedges/natural fencing/gardens within a city, as some have used Woodlands pieces. That kind of thing works well with right angle pieces.

Small free standing plants might be cool. But I can't picture a tree that I'd like made out of dwarvenite, especially considering the cost for such a large item.

However, some floor tiles that have more naturalistic textures, like dirt or sand or snow could work. If they were very reasonable in price (just floor tiles and not many sculpts), they could be customized with added grass and trees of various materials. I can't imagine liking sculpted dwarvenite grass. Different tiles with some variations in the ground texture, maybe country road pieces or outdoor stream (like water cavern style tiles) could work. I'd only consider tiles like these if they were very cheap though. A mat can work just as well for most outdoor encounters.

Even though it is messy, I think flocking and static grass looks way better than dwarvenite ever could for plants. So what about marketing something that is intended to me modified with your own added flocking. Or maybe even have the factory in China add flocking on the painted pieces (way more expensive of course).

I would prefer not trying to get into this kind of thing in KS5. There is more than enough other things that would be more popular than full outdoor tiles I think.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:19 am

I do not like the MBA trees because the are fragile and do not match the trees I make. The Playmobil trees and the Toob trees are too toy like for my taste.The Toob trees are hard to beat if you have small children.
Games Work shop made a plastic tree kit that would satisfy many of Williams specifications. I think the GW trees are too rigid. I do not use them unless they are heavily Modified.

Trees, because nobody really makes nice trees that aren't either fragile or dump crap all over the place.
The ones I make do not dump crap all over the place. I can not say this is not a real problem. There are way to many post on the crafting forums about how to correct this. Most of the suggestions of how to deal with it don't work. William does not like flocking and I am not going to try to change his mind.

If DF decides to make some kind of PVC trees I hope that the kickstarter is organised in such away that I do not have to include any.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:12 am

William wrote:Modular Dwarvenite Trees.

Modular to mix up tree height, branch amounts and size, shapes.
Also make them modular by Seasons - Fall (less and collored leaves), Winter (snow capped evergreens and leafless for all others), Summer (full and green). Spring - why?
Then add custom features like lookouts, tree houses, perches, rope noose (posibly with victim). birds, small critters, snakes, broken hanging branches, burned branches and trunks... shall I continue?

Dwarvenite, because it's indestructable and paintable.

Trees, because nobody really makes nice trees that aren't either fragile or dump crap all over the place.

I have many other wants, but that's the biggie.
The Toob trees work as young trees but I take it you are looking for large trees that do not dump crap all over the place.

I expect by your description you are taking about deciduous trees.

What would you expect would be the tallest tree possible and shortest tree possible in the modular tree kit?

When my eldest daughter was little she had a Playmobil set (forest lodge 4207) with a tree that was sectional, while it was not made to be adjustable I think I see what you are looking for. It had/has a main trunk a attachable limb and attachable leaf sprays.

If a sculptor sculpted three or four trunks each with three or four different attachable limbs and attachable leaf sprays but made sure all were inter changeable a person would have a small patch of trees. Buy four or five packs and you would have a forest that could break down if need be.

Is that what you have in mind William or did I get it wrong?

http://playmobil.scene7.com/is/content/ ... 207pdf.pdf

Page 12 of pdf

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Blue Prophet wrote: Even though it is messy, I think flocking and static grass looks way better than dwarvenite ever could for plants. So what about marketing something that is intended to me modified with your own added flocking. Or maybe even have the factory in China add flocking on the painted pieces (way more expensive of course).
I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I want to add flocking to the DF battlements and roofs. Just put glue over the mossy parts already painted green and see if the flocking helps it pop or makes it look weird.