Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

Post by pacarat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Vegomatic wrote:Perhaps some pieces could be sculpted in a way that they could be part of a larger tree but could also be stand alone bushes or shruberies?

Architects of War did this for their large deciduous tree sets. Large thick trunks with stuby branches designed to accept Woodland Scenics trees.

I've done some design work for my own version.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:11 am

Perhaps some pieces could be sculpted in a way that they could be part of a larger tree but could also be stand alone bushes or shruberies?

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 am

AnimeSensei wrote:I think trees with a peg system for modularity would be perfect. You could have stump, trunk, and branch pieces.
So what we need is a non-toy version of this from a great sculptor.

If it had many more modular limbs and better branches lots of branches.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:57 pm

I think trees with a peg system for modularity would be perfect. You could have stump, trunk, and branch pieces.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 am

Funny coincidence, a couple of months ago I finished putting together a visual reference of "exotic" trees using pictures found online. Someday I'll use it to show players the strange and fantastical forests they are walking through.

Which brings up one of the issues I have with outdoor scenics. There are so many different kinds of trees, how do you you pick which ones to make, and where do you stop? Even when you settle on one, how many variations do you need to avoid oddly homogenous forests? And how many thematic versions (normal, dead, fallen, lightning-struck, snowy, spooky) do you make of the same tree?

Another issue is playability. Scale height trees are an obstacle to seeing the playing surface and to reaching and handling miniatures, especially with full foliage.

From a gaming perspective, my preference would be for freestanding tree trunks no more than two inches tall. I'll use flight stands for characters or monsters who climb.

If diorama-level trees are a must, perhaps one solution would be "foliage tops" that could be easily added to and removed from the trunks. Sold separately, multiple types of foliage in various basic shapes could go on the same trunks.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:38 am

I'll be heading on a trip over the next few weeks, so it'll be later next month, but I will be going through several forests on the way. I will take pictures for inspiration. I also think DF is up to the task, that's why I suggested it.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:11 am

GriffinTamer wrote:Trees and other natural shapes are sort of the terrain holy grail, in that they're almost impossible to do well in durable materials such as PVC / Dwarvenite

GriffinTamer posted the above in another thread, but I think the DF family of artists is up to the challenge to make the best modular trees ever and in Dwarvenite to boot. They just have to take up that challenge and I bet they can knock it out of the park.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 am

William wrote:I'll have to draw up something or possibly sculpt some Trunk-Branch-Twigs or Leaf Cluster ideas.
I would love to see your ideas.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm

I'd be super interested in outdoor environments. Trees, Farmland, Gardens, transition to mountains, etc.

An entire MEGA Tree set that could work as individual trees or build into a single massive tree. I can imagine that would be hugely difficult to pull off.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:47 am

Here's another thread that just popped up that would be of interest. The poster built 4x4 outdoor tiles. They look real good and are - I think - a good jumping off point for thinking about 4x4 or larger DF outdoor tiles.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8005
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.