Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories

Post by LordDust » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:I think Oldent has a good appreciation for different manufacturers, materials, and creativity/skill in presentation. I think the difference some of us have is we want something modular and already looks good right out of the box, like most DF products. I think part of they joy in the hobby for Oldent is the creation of the bits and pieces, discovering fun new products, and incorporating them in his world. I think it's just two different viewpoints of the same hobby, one from a minimal time investment, and one from a greater time investment (but lots of pride in a job well done). Both are great.
This sums it pretty well IMO. I like a point that is about half way between. I don't have enough time to customize, tinker, and paint as much as I would like. I have begun to lean heavily in favor of items that need much less work and time to be ready to go. I'll still grab things that need that investment if they fill a niche I want really well, but I'm pickier these days. I would love it if the modular trees had separate foliage packs so I could buy the trunks and branches and then make my own flocked foliage to put on top. Durable and easy to quickly assemble modular trees with the cooler looking (IMO) flocked armatures attached on top.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I think Oldent has a good appreciation for different manufacturers, materials, and creativity/skill in presentation. I think the difference some of us have is we want something modular and already looks good right out of the box, like most DF products. I think part of they joy in the hobby for Oldent is the creation of the bits and pieces, discovering fun new products, and incorporating them in his world. I think it's just two different viewpoints of the same hobby, one from a minimal time investment, and one from a greater time investment (but lots of pride in a job well done). Both are great.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 am

Sorry Oldent but nothing you have shown me in your posts is what I would be looking for in a modular tree. They just are not what I would be expecting from a modular tree. I am glad you had fun making all of these items and that you have the storage. Your collection is very impressive.

Of course William was the one who really wanted Modular Dwarvenite Trees and first posted the request perhaps when he returns you will have inspired him with your many impressive posts.

I hope to read more posts on what Dwarvenite DF outdoor tiles & accessories you might like.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:18 am

kodiakbear wrote
"I would love it if my gaming trees were as versatile as my dungeons, caverns and city tiles and just like them I could rearrange them for each game and take them apart and throw them in a box with out worrying about them being broken or crushed."
I was planing to Watch The Man Trap for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek I realised some of my wire brush trees were older than that. They survived in my toy box along with my Marx playset trees.The plastic Marx trees did not survive past the 70's. I think that they were not very realistic and I gave them to my younger brothers.I have restored the wire brush trees many times.

Realistic diorama quality trees are too fragile to survive gaming. There has to be a compromise. The wire brush tree is a good one.They are relatively cheap and or easy to make.They will survive storage if you don't keep them in the same box with bowling balls.

Plastic toy trees are very common and are already available by the gross. Put them in the washing machine before you paint them.Use a cold cycle. Cake frosting tree armatures look nice enough if you flock them. They were $7 per gross the last time I bought some.

I purchased the large palm trees some time in the 90's. They are still available but I have not tried to get any recently.The base of the unpainted palm on the left includes pine pricks.They are also available by the gross.

Plastic can survive many years of hard use.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:05 am

Mobius wrote:Most forests are a continuing cycle of tree growth, maturity and death. There should be a mix of mature trees, small growth (saplings, grass, bushes), dying leafless trees, and fallen decaying trees. Anyone who's walked off trail in the woods, knows it's never a simple stroll between evenly-spaced trees.
Well I do not think a single modular tree set is likely going to fill all parts of a trees life but I could imagine it fulfilling mature trees, trees in stages of dying or just normal stages of autumn leaf loss, dead or winter dormant trees and I guess if you took off the branches on one side and laid it down you could have fallen trees also. Heck if you removed all the branches and root base it would be a fallen tree.

Now if the project really took off and a second set was done in smaller trunks then you would gain more of the growth cycle you are looking for and more realistic forests.

I would love it if my gaming trees were as versatile as my dungeons, caverns and city tiles and just like them I could rearrange them for each game and take them apart and throw them in a box with out worrying about them being broken or crushed.

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Just to add to my last post, I find that most people - including myself - build very unrealistic forests.

Most forests are a continuing cycle of tree growth, maturity and death. There should be a mix of mature trees, small growth (saplings, grass, bushes), dying leafless trees, and fallen decaying trees. Anyone who's walked off trail in the woods, knows it's never a simple stroll between evenly-spaced trees. You go up and down, zigzagging around impassable areas and sometimes over logs (all while pushing branches out of your face).

Mature trees are easy to get. I was excited to get some dead trees from Table Top Props to mix in. What I want to enhance my forest are small growth and fallen trees. I've seen a few fallen trees online, but I'd love a way to get a bunch of them.

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:42 am

I use an outdoor game mat, model-railroad trees, and home-made water terrain for my outdoors.

Here's a wooden DF village (with a windmill accessory stolen from the Smurfs)
DF Village.jpg
DF Village.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Here's a camp site using Tabletop props
TTP Camp.jpg
TTP Camp.jpg (238.69 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
The main things I'm missing are elevation and obstacles.

For elevation, I'm going to cover that with a mix of KS4 Mountains and Caverns elevations pieces. I guess all of my hills will be rocky instead of grass-covered.

What I desperately want are things to clutter up my woodlands. Forests are never so open. I'd love rocks, fallen logs, tree stumps, bushes, etc. I'd be down for some DF hedges, fences or modular trees. Farming type stuff like crops and hay bales would be great too.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:29 am

After looking at pictures of that Garden or Morr, I see where the name came from. I'm sure the discussion went something like this:

"Cool graveyard, what should we call it?
I don't know, something is missing.... it needs more skulls!
That's it, the Garden of More Skulls.
Nope, maybe the Garden of Moar Skulls?
Nah, how about just Morr?
Perfect!"

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 am

The GW graveyard I have, and really enjoyed painting. I highly recommend it. It is called the Garden of Morr. I know I did a post on it at one time or another.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:43 am

kodiakbear wrote "What was your impression of Reaper's KS graveyard?"

I will add it to my collection when it is released.The GW graveyard is also nice.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!