KS3 Painting Guide Errors?

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS3 Painting Guide Errors?

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:30 pm

play when you mix colors. don't just lighten red with white. add browns and yellows and maybe even a blue or green and just keep mixing until you find a color you like and use it.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:58 pm

JenneyOC wrote:Have you seen the KS3 Paint Test Run thread. There are some amazingly painted streets in there by pacarat.

Best,
Jenney
Yeah. I saw that. It's what inspired me to try different colors for the big stones. I just don't seem to have the acrylic colors necessary to recreate the brickwork there. When I lighten up the red it becomes too pink.

Kinda wish he/she'd post better photos, too.

But, at the same time, I don't want to discourage myself staring at something much better. :D

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:51 pm

FelixDraconis wrote:I thought I'd give an update now that I'm on the streets pack.

I can't find any particular fault with the painting guide on these pieces, although I went a bit above what it called for. I'm a little uncertain what to do with the small stones lining the street (inside the 'walls') and the weird dot things.

The lining stones I might experiment with something olive/green instead of bricks as they don't look like bricks to me.
Felix,

Have you seen the KS3 Paint Test Run thread. There are some amazingly painted streets in there by pacarat.

Best,
Jenney

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 am

MBCE wrote:
William wrote:Since this thread is about painting, I thought I would ask the unpainted backers if anyone has painted thier fire pieces yet. I was thinking of a blue ink on the underside then yellow and white tips of the flames. I also have some Griffen Tamer orange flame pieces to do still.
Any pictures of painted flames, anyone, anyone??? :)
So far, I haven't gotten around to painting my fire effects. Mostly, I've avoided it since I like how the translucent plastic looks. However, since you brought up the question, I've Goober out and picked up some clear yellow, red, and orange. With these I'll try painting at least one of the effects to see if I like it.

Once I've tried it out, I'll put up a picture.
I usually dry brush the translucent red and and orange plastic with neon yellow.But the LED backlight makes a very yellow flame effect. I tried a red ink wash. It did not make much difference with the LED on. I tried the Tamiya clear red I use for model car tail lights.Same thing, it did not much matter with the LED on.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 am

William wrote:Since this thread is about painting, I thought I would ask the unpainted backers if anyone has painted thier fire pieces yet. I was thinking of a blue ink on the underside then yellow and white tips of the flames. I also have some Griffen Tamer orange flame pieces to do still.
So far, I haven't gotten around to painting my fire effects. Mostly, I've avoided it since I like how the translucent plastic looks. However, since you brought up the question, I've Goober out and picked up some clear yellow, red, and orange. With these I'll try painting at least one of the effects to see if I like it.

Once I've tried it out, I'll put up a picture.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 am

I thought I'd give an update now that I'm on the streets pack.

This started with spots painted with Cardboard (darker grey). Mostly filling in the dot things and the crevices.
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg (497.69 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
The large rocks were alternately painted with more generous Earth Stone (which looks olive to me) and Cobblestone (Jo Sonja paint).
IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg (612.99 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
The center portion of the walkway received Cardboard dry brush, as did the outside blocks and portions of the stones. I did mixed amounts of dry brush using the whiter Stone Edge Dry Brush. Some walkways I think I went too far with and may tone down later. As I worked, I went back and applied more Cardboard to the later pieces to make the whole take on more even grey. If I went back I would be more generous, too, with the stone contrast colors, as they were often obscured by the greys.

However, I found the more liberal I was with the side blocks the better, as they contrasted nicely to look like dirty granite. Presumably they were scratched by bumps with cart wheels or otherwise worn away to reveal the stone underneath. I made sure some got thick outlines along the inner and outer edge where possible.
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg (517.31 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Finally, tonight I did the first layer of Deep Lava to get the bricks started. Uninteresting, for the most part, but it shows the developing rich contrast.
2016-03-02 22.16.29.jpg
2016-03-02 22.16.29.jpg (517.08 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
I can't find any particular fault with the painting guide on these pieces, although I went a bit above what it called for. I'm a little uncertain what to do with the small stones lining the street (inside the 'walls') and the weird dot things.

The lining stones I might experiment with something olive/green instead of bricks as they don't look like bricks to me.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Since this thread is about painting, I thought I would ask the unpainted backers if anyone has painted thier fire pieces yet. I was thinking of a blue ink on the underside then yellow and white tips of the flames. I also have some Griffen Tamer orange flame pieces to do still.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:21 pm

LadySabelle wrote:I like to make a paint color card with the recipe for each color written underneath. Then when I mix a new batch, I test the wet paint directly on the card. I let the test patch dry (with a hair drier when needed) before I start painting. If it doesn't match, I can easily make adjustments before it becomes an issue on the painted pieces. I'm often using cheap craft paints that are too thick for dropper bottles so it helps to have a way to check the mix.
This is a great idea. I'm filing it away for the near future when I plan on designing my own line of LED pieces. :-)
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I like to make a paint color card with the recipe for each color written underneath. Then when I mix a new batch, I test the wet paint directly on the card. I let the test patch dry (with a hair drier when needed) before I start painting. If it doesn't match, I can easily make adjustments before it becomes an issue on the painted pieces. I'm often using cheap craft paints that are too thick for dropper bottles so it helps to have a way to check the mix.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:59 pm

FelixDraconis wrote: I've been considering a similar thing! Now that vaping is popular, I've noticed people buy these glass dropper bottles. I bet you'd have to wash them out thoroughly, but I was going to ask people for empty vaping 'juice' bottles and see how they work.
I hadn't considered those before, that may be a good idea. I know they sell packs of plastic ones with screw tops that have dropper tips and are meant for paint, but I hadn't started pricing them yet. A quick Amazon search turns up a few.