Pics of cobblestone roads with gravel???

cyberpenguin
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Pics of cobblestone roads with gravel???

Post by cyberpenguin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:my inspiration was from Pompeii and Rome...but Valoria is a fantasy city inspired by, but not completely mimicking real history...the "gravel" is actually large round stones or pebbles...consider it like a mosaic that is supposed to be near the bricks but has been destroyed in some areas....,many old houses had mosaics or stones on their interiors or courtyards...
Ahhh... that helps a lot. I'll have to work in a little color and a pattern to echo the long gone beauty of the mosaic.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:20 am

Nice pic.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:52 am

here is a street from Prague:)
Attachments
Prague-2012 434.JPG
Prague-2012 434.JPG (248.12 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 am

my inspiration was from Pompeii and Rome...but Valoria is a fantasy city inspired by, but not completely mimicking real history...the "gravel" is actually large round stones or pebbles...consider it like a mosaic that is supposed to be near the bricks but has been destroyed in some areas....,many old houses had mosaics or stones on their interiors or courtyards...

cyberpenguin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by cyberpenguin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:21 am

Vegomatic wrote:As I recall, Stephan indicated the street pieces were inspired by the roads in Pompeii.
Thanks. That helped narrow things down.

I did see the noble crossing, but I also saw several cobblestone streets with gravel sidewalks.

At least it was enough to come up with a gameplan for the color scheme.

cyberpenguin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by cyberpenguin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Law wrote:
cyberpenguin wrote:I've been looking for pics of cobblestone roads with gravel, but I just can't seem to find any.

I assume the gravel is for drainage, but I just can't seem to find any real-world pics. Does anyone know which cities or historical areas might have been the inspiration for the DF pieces?

Part of the reason why I like looking at real pics is that it gives me ideas for color schemes. For example, for the brick I'm going to throw in a little random dark purple to get an effect like this:

I'll do something similar with 'cardboard' on some stones in the street.

Is that Boston? Philadelphia?
I'm pretty sure Boston.

cyberpenguin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by cyberpenguin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Arravis wrote:Why are you looking for gravel? I don't see gravel on the DF roads, just cobblestones.
In the City Streets painting guide step #1 they call it the "central gravel" as in "Apply Cardboard to the central gravel using a #3 (Painting) brush."

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
cyberpenguin wrote:I've been looking for pics of cobblestone roads with gravel, but I just can't seem to find any.

I assume the gravel is for drainage, but I just can't seem to find any real-world pics. Does anyone know which cities or historical areas might have been the inspiration for the DF pieces?

Part of the reason why I like looking at real pics is that it gives me ideas for color schemes. For example, for the brick I'm going to throw in a little random dark purple to get an effect like this:

As I recall, Stephan indicated the street pieces were inspired by the roads in Pompeii.
Meh, I've been to Pompeii; I think he was talking about the cobblestones and noble's crossing. The bricks I think are just Europe and may be just a stylized choice.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:07 pm

As I recall, Stephan indicated the street pieces were inspired by the roads in Pompeii.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Is that Boston? Philadelphia?