Orc

Re: Encounter ideas for outdoor themed KS6

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Oldent wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Tree houses

https://www.facebook.com/FantasyArc/vid ... 154121363/

I am going to add this to my LOTR collection when it is ready
I like that would fabulous in a any LOTR themed table :)

Its more house than tree, but very Rivendell.

Imagining something more tree than house - something along these lines:

Paul_lasaine_concept_art

The great elven tree city project

Ready to Role - 25 Wood Elf City Adventure Seeds

A far departure from dungeons but the Elves have to come from somewhere ......
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Tree houses

https://www.facebook.com/FantasyArc/vid ... 154121363/

I am going to add this to my LOTR collection when it is ready
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 pm

William, those are amazing!
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am

I really think DF should have fewer pieces, and thus more modularity and of course better profits, but DF has proved a few times now that they have no interest in that. I would be happy going back to KSI or II level of pieces and pledging method, but I fear it is gone forever.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 am

William wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm
Here are some examples of Beach Tiles I did around 2003 to go with my Master Maze back then.
Not exactly what I might make these days, but they were fun to make then.

Just posting for additional ideas... ;)
Love stuff like this :) that takes established products and adapts and mods them - Great work William :D

In other news .....

kodiakbear - agree with what you say about DF showing off the versatility of KSVI.

In KSV DoD they actually did less showing off than in KSIV Castles where they showed pictures of builds using KSIII CBS items. It was only in some of the Livestream did they start to really show off KSV versatility.

Its good that you point out that there are different camps of backers wanting different things for KSVI. Too often people ask for what they want and don't necessarily consider the wider scope of all backers needs.

So for KSVI I don't care much for caverns, but have found the KSII Water Caverns to be one of my favourite sets for outdoor setups. But I know a lot of KSII backers will want complimentary new Cavern pieces and so I believe DF should look to include those in KSVI.
Having said that, I had no interest in a dungeon in KSV and still dropped 4K on it :o :shock:

I prefer urban environments and would really like Castle and CBS complimentary items from KSVI, but in the last week the thought of a massive modular tree city as captured my imagination and I think, if it can be done, would look totally amazing! the ability to buy a forest in a box (or many white boxes) also has a strong pull.

But as you pointed out what they produce needs to be compatible with existing products. I can see CBS and Castles built around 'A Tree of Life' or a sacred grove. They should be easily used with mountains.

I think DF have a unique problem to reduce the unique piece count from KSV as many backers have requested and yet still provide the variety of encounters they offered in KSVI.

But I also think the solution is in multi environmental pieces with different paint schemes to match the environments offered.

I like the idea of sloping pieces to make use of existing battle mats or offered mats. I put forward a Sea environment as I don't see any need to create specific pieces for it just a different paint job. But for most sea related builds I suspect battle mats would be used. So shoreline sloping pieces would work really nicely and could be used for rivers.
I ordered a ocean mat in a recent KS so I could put my Tower Castle on it.

It will be fascinating to see what DF come up with for KSVI, but I would be a little disappointed if it turned out to be a Cavern only KS like KSV was for dungeons, probably still end up dropping more money than I expect!
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 am
All in all I think DF could blow our ears off with KSVI whilst potentially keeping the number of pieces lower than previous KSers but offer up more variation with paint schemes – this of course assumes that this does not cause massive headaches at the factory.
I agree with you Paint schemes are a great way for DF to get extra pledge dollars during the KS and add versatility for those who get painted and inspire those who get unpainted.

I also feel that DF should make sure to show the versatility of the pieces that they do in KS6.

Sure if we are blessed more cavern sculpts and advanced builder cavern sculpts those are likely going to get used in caverns.

But

If they do sloped mountain pieces and mountain path pieces they need to show how well they work in mountains, as river edges, as ocean, lake and harbor short lines. While I may not game in cities all the time I know some other DF fanatics do.

If they do crystal cavern pieces they need to show how awesome they are not just in caverns but as wizard sanctum décor.

If they do a ground/mountain tile with a indention for a small pond they need to try and make it compatible with the burrows so we could have piece to transition to submerged burrows.

If the do large 12" modular trees with walkways and platforms for houses they need to show the tree used with mountains at different elevations and castles and make sure the house adds things to CBS line like thatched roofs and 2x4 Tudor advanced house pieces.

I have noticed that I am part of a large group of DF gamers who are calling for more cavern sculpts and outdoor tiles and accessories while another group is looking for more urban items. While I feel KS6 makes sense for a return to caverns just like KS5 returning to the dungeon did, DF must make sure to have some items that urban gamers can use. Also since many of us now have large collections Stefan and crew need to really drive home the versatility of as many of the new pieces as possible. If Nate had not done the necromancer lair video during KS4 I would not have bought a single castle item since I rarely game in castles. And I am sure if KS6 does not show how versatile it's pieces are some urban gamers might for go getting items that really could add to there urban environments.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 am

Nice!

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Those look pretty good to me.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Here are some examples of Beach Tiles I did around 2003 to go with my Master Maze back then.
Not exactly what I might make these days, but they were fun to make then.
Beach 005.jpg
Beach 005.jpg (90.87 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Beach 006.jpg
Beach 006.jpg (75.07 KiB) Viewed 481 times
HPIM1247.JPG
HPIM1247.JPG (127.77 KiB) Viewed 481 times
HPIM1237.JPG
HPIM1237.JPG (127.18 KiB) Viewed 481 times
HPIM1250.JPG
HPIM1250.JPG (86.2 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Island.jpg
Island.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Custom Clay Work 0001.jpg
Custom Clay Work 0001.jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 481 times
HPIM1296.JPG
HPIM1296.JPG (196.25 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Just posting for additional ideas... ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I think it is, hopefully DF can do it as well or better than a certain KS that just ended.