Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: 3D MapMaker for KS5

Post by GODofwar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm
What we need is someone who is maybe still in school who could learn programming and create a mapmaker tool with the ability for us to insert our own pictures (so DF doesn't have to do it) and could perhaps do it as part of a project or portfolio.... hmm.....
Looks like a GraphicalDesign and Computer Engineering final year Degree project waiting to happen.
I haven't even tried the 2d yet. I'd be happy with a complete 2D!!1

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm
What we need is someone who is maybe still in school who could learn programming and create a mapmaker tool with the ability for us to insert our own pictures (so DF doesn't have to do it) and could perhaps do it as part of a project or portfolio.... hmm.....
Looks like a GraphicalDesign and Computer Engineering final year Degree project waiting to happen.
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm

106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Hekaton1
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Hekaton1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:39 pm

I definitely agree that KSV should be in the Map Maker, and some of the other things (like CBS and the resin sets) would be nice too. Revived because I think this is an important issue that should be addressed. There's a lot of potential for the map maker tool. I LOVE using it, and I even use it for planning out non-DF dungeons in my DnD campaigns.
Zie ginds komt de stoomboot
Uit Spanje weer aan.
Hij brengt ons Sint Nikolaas,
Ik zie hem al staan.
Hoe huppelt zijn paardje
Het dek op en neer!
Hoe waaiend de wimpels
Al heen en al weer!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 am

I think this would get a lot of milage with City and Castle owners if it could help you plan those builds. Obviously means a significant inventory update but also to cope with 3D builds such as a castle with double height walls a keep using 6 square tower CBS levels and 7 round tower CBS levels.

Not sure what the current tool can do (sorry don't build dungeons yet) but would be useful if you could input your sets into its database then it can tell you if you have the pieces to build your design.

And even better come up with 'Random' designs that you have the parts for :)

Don't think we are asking for too much....... are we ?
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Really wish DF would put some support behind this... would be a good collaboration for both sides.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Josh, did you see that I added a Tile Inventory feature to the MapForge Beta Release? So now it can spit out a list of all the used Tile's names, with the number of times each particular tile was used in the layout. I think all we need now is a 2D top-down image library of all the DF bits, preferably nicely painted and ambiguously lit (so that the pieces can be rotated without resulting in shadows all heading off in different directions).
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I skipped KS2 and did not know about the tool, until KS3. I used the heck out of it then to figure out my KS3 purchase (substituting various tiles for the KS3 tiles) and although it could not directly due 3D, managed to plan many KS3 style castles and large buildings without to make sure I had ordered enough stuff. I had hoped an update would have come out with KS3 and planned to use it to map my city into 4'x4' districts. I ended up doing it with grid paper, but it is just not the same. :(

I think a new version of it would be a great marketing tool. In fact, I would even structure my KS campaign around such a tool (not as a stretch-goal) so that folks could figure out their pledge with something other than math and spreadsheets. :D
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GardenDM
Orc
Orc

Post by GardenDM » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 am

Just as a footnote, one of the 3D printed game tile companies has a map making program that supports multiple levels. It also generates a customizable tile list to help you decide what to print based on the build and your existing collection.

I can imagine something similar working for DF if done well. It would appeal to the collectors since they could enter and manage their collection and to the builders since they could pre-build digitally and generate lists and maps, both for shopping and for game time.

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am

I would certainly be interested in such a program.
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria