fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Re: What edition did you start with?

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

William wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm
I think we were just "politely" called OLD. :lol:
Hence the higher-than-average 'gentlefolk' atmosphere for a gaming forum.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm

I think we were just "politely" called OLD. :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Ainyele
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Ainyele » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 am

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm
I am really surprised how skewed the results are towards 1st ed (and the red and blue books as I know they overlap a lot) That is a lot of people staring in just a few years.
Not necessarily when you also factor in the average age from the other poll. There's a lot of "experience" in these forums.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm

I am really surprised how skewed the results are towards 1st ed (and the red and blue books as I know they overlap a lot) That is a lot of people staring in just a few years.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Teulisch
Orc
Orc

Post by Teulisch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

I had to click other.... I started with the red box basic set, when I was a child.
25 resin sets, 5 KS1 sets, 5 KS2 sets, KS3 Village/Sewer/Streets

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm
I second the Hero Lab endorsement - it really does make handling all sorts of things at higher levels MUCH more manageable. I recently played in a Pathfinder campaign that made it all the way to level 20 and would never have been able to run my Wizard if not for Herolab. Worth every penny IMHO.
I would never attempt to run Pathfinder without Hero Lab. Also, the PFSRD site gets the silver medal, and is my 'alt-tab' when running PF.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Feymous wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am
I know this is a forum topic about editions, but are those shelves custom made or are they something one can purchase? I want those bookshelves....
These are the Augustus Library shelving from Cost Plus. I have three and love them. They are sturdy, big enough for RPG books, and look slick (always wanted a bookshelf with a ladder).

They're on sale at the moment. :D
They are indeed very nice and would love a set or two, but they seem to be out of stock on-line and anywhere within 100 miles of me :(

I second the Hero Lab endorsement - it really does make handling all sorts of things at higher levels MUCH more manageable. I recently played in a Pathfinder campaign that made it all the way to level 20 and would never have been able to run my Wizard if not for Herolab. Worth every penny IMHO.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Good idea, Feymous...

Anyone else have one? Also, what are the gems of your collection? Mine would be Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names, Night Below, Ptolus, Rules Cyclopedia and The DCC RPG ... all for various reasons, none of which are rarity.

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 am

Feymous wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am
I know this is a forum topic about editions, but are those shelves custom made or are they something one can purchase? I want those bookshelves....
These are the Augustus Library shelving from Cost Plus. I have three and love them. They are sturdy, big enough for RPG books, and look slick (always wanted a bookshelf with a ladder).

They're on sale at the moment. :D
Sorry but you clearly don't have enough books.

We can clearly see shelve space used for non books!!!

Blasphemy.

Although having ranted about all that we have had to archive a whole bunch of books to make room for DF castles and painted minis !

btw love the open book stand - very cool 8-)
I am the Game and I want to Play

Alkettory
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alkettory » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am
At the risk of threadjacking...

Pathfinder was for everyone playing 3.5 who did not like the direction 4.0 was going and wanted to keep playing (OSRIC for the modern age). It fixed a LOT of what was wrong with 3.5. The collaborative development process was very welcomed for those of us who felt betrayed by the announcement of 4e and secrecy surrounding it. I abandoned my 3.5 campaign and actually ran a campaign in Pathfinder BETA

Pathfinder is awesome, but Paizo is a publishing company... so they need to publish. There are 5 times the number of player as there are GM's. So the money is in publishing player material. Advanced Player Guide is probably the coolest single D&D book out there (to me...). Then came Ultimate this and Ultimate that and Even Yet Still More this and Super Alternate Variant that. Ten years later the system is bloated, power creep is rampant and no one could possibly keep track of all the feats, traits, spells and variants that are out there.

I can only GM Pathfinder up to about 7-8th level before it becomes more than my brain can juggle (someday i hope to go farther - post kids i hope i'll get part of my brain back). I am currently playing at 9th and 11th and it is beginning to get unwieldy. Combat can slow to a crawl when everyone is that powerful. Large battles often span multiple sessions. Sweet spot for the system is 4-6th.

I love the system, own FAR too much material for it and will probably never switch because of that, but i agree with its critics. Everything that (i felt) WOTC got wrong with 4e they did differently with 5e. I have been very impressed with the 5e i have played and was glad to see the flagship of the RPG community return to glory. I think people that learn to play 5e will learn role playing again and be less focused on munchkining the ultimate character (which is fun too, but gets tedious after a while).

(Steps off soapbox) Now back to what we were discussing
Our group uses Hero Lab to make Pathfinder more manageable. You can allow/disallow individual books and modules, limiting the scope and reducing the bloat.

We print new character sheets whenever the characters level up, so during the game we retain that pencil & paper feel.