Total votes: 36

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Re: What edition did you start with?

Post by Feymous » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am
I know this is a forum topic about editions, but are those shelves custom made or are they something one can purchase? I want those bookshelves....
These are the Augustus Library shelving from Cost Plus. I have three and love them. They are sturdy, big enough for RPG books, and look slick (always wanted a bookshelf with a ladder).

They're on sale at the moment. :D

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am

Feymous wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 am
Since the poll asked what RPG did you first "play", I went with 2nd edition as that was the RPG under which I rolled my first d20. However, I discovered D&D around age 10 when I rescued my brother's AD&D 1st ed PHB from a pile books bound for a yard sale. I still remember the conversation between my brother, mother, and I:

- me (PHB and dice bag in hand) "this is so cool, can I have this?"
- my brother, "you don't want that, it's for nerds"
- my mother to my brother, "what are you talking about? You and your friends used to play that all the time in highschool"
- my brother "yeah mom, we were nerds"

After much begging, I was allowed to keep the book (but not the dice), which I proceeded to read cover to cover. I was intrigued, but didn't think it was the sort of thing my girlfriends would enjoy at a sleep over, so it sat unused on my bookshelf. Years later, my highschool boyfriend (now my husband) invited me to a game with his friends and I was hooked.

I've played every edition of D&D, Pathfinder, GURPS, and a smattering of other systems and have enjoyed them all (yes, even 4e). My husband and I share an aversion to parting with gaming books and they now occupy a significant area of our bookshelf :?
I know this is a forum topic about editions, but are those shelves custom made or are they something one can purchase? I want those bookshelves....
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Post by Feymous » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 am

Since the poll asked what RPG did you first "play", I went with 2nd edition as that was the RPG under which I rolled my first d20. However, I discovered D&D around age 10 when I rescued my brother's AD&D 1st ed PHB from a pile books bound for a yard sale. I still remember the conversation between my brother, mother, and I:

- me (PHB and dice bag in hand) "this is so cool, can I have this?"
- my brother, "you don't want that, it's for nerds"
- my mother to my brother, "what are you talking about? You and your friends used to play that all the time in highschool"
- my brother "yeah mom, we were nerds"

After much begging, I was allowed to keep the book (but not the dice), which I proceeded to read cover to cover. I was intrigued, but didn't think it was the sort of thing my girlfriends would enjoy at a sleep over, so it sat unused on my bookshelf. Years later, my highschool boyfriend (now my husband) invited me to a game with his friends and I was hooked.

I've played every edition of D&D, Pathfinder, GURPS, and a smattering of other systems and have enjoyed them all (yes, even 4e). My husband and I share an aversion to parting with gaming books and they now occupy a significant area of our bookshelf :?
Attachments
RPG Books.jpg
RPG Books.jpg (123.77 KiB) Viewed 625 times

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 am

fnordfriendly wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 am
... and still is, surprisingly. Instead of releasing an neverending stream of player-option splatbooks, they're releasing modules. Just like OD&D! However, a character who multiclasses just right in 5e can easily become broken.
Strangely enough, I find that 5E was the easiest edition NOT to multiclass, as there were very good and interesting options to enhance your character while still staying in one class all the way to the top.

In 3.0, multiclassing was practically REQUIRED because that was the only way to get to a prestige class, and most of the base classes were so lackluster in comparison.

I was a bit sad to see that feats were no longer "free", but I understand that to tie feats as an alternative to ability score increases really made 1-2 level "dipping" into other classes come at a real cost.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 am

bernyleung wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 am
I reached out with great trepidation when 5E came out, but was relieved when I saw that 3.5-style powercreep was reasonably restrained.
... and still is, surprisingly. Instead of releasing an neverending stream of player-option splatbooks, they're releasing modules. Just like OD&D! However, a character who multiclasses just right in 5e can easily become broken.

In 4e, the options rolled out in a tidal wave all the way to the end, but the system handled it very well, and balance was pretty darn good. The thing it didn't really do: multiclassing. It tried, but it was always a minimalist dip or a weird split. Not often overpowered, though.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 am

fnordfriendly wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 pm
I'm not sure that's fair.
Of course it wasn't fair, I was just being a jerk. I had to buy the 4E basic books out of nostalgia, but I knew that I would never play it, my kids were just toddlers and my old gaming buddies had no more regular time to spend with us and each other. I probably would have given it a shot had I had some regular players, but in a way I'm glad that I did not. I reached out with great trepidation when 5E came out, but was relieved when I saw that 3.5-style powercreep was reasonably restrained.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 am

bernyleung wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm
Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm
My current gaming group has been playing 3.5 weekly since 2009. Just last night we started discussing trying 4th Edition.
Under NO circumstances should you try 4th edition. The mechanics reduced it to a card game. And forget "theatre of the mind", EVERYTHING is measured out in squares, not actual distances.

5th edition is WHERE IT'S AT!
Shall I crap on your edition of choice also?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Under NO circumstances should you try 4th edition.
I'm not sure that's fair. 4e at its end was a fine game. Skip to the Essentials line and enjoy faster combats and great modules. It's really fun as an encounter based tactical skirmish game. Read the Reavers of Harkenwold module, it's fantastic.
bernyleung wrote:
The mechanics reduced it to a card game. And forget "theatre of the mind", EVERYTHING is measured out in squares, not actual distances.
It's true that the mechanics of the game are strictly regulated. The game allows you to play out combats as skirmish battles where the DM tries to tactically beat the players. It's well balanced, and fun with the right group. You're right that the theater of the mind isn't the default - but neither was it in Chainmail. D&D began as a miniatures skirmish game with fiction drawn from all that Appendix N goodness. The theater of the mind stuff happens between combat encounters.
bernyleung wrote:
All that said, I agree with you on this. 5e is a fantastic expression of the game, and kudos to Mike Mearls for revitalizing the D&D community. That said, I'm glad I have both games on my shelf, as I often want to play one instead of the other.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm
My current gaming group has been playing 3.5 weekly since 2009. Just last night we started discussing trying 4th Edition.
Under NO circumstances should you try 4th edition. The mechanics reduced it to a card game. And forget "theatre of the mind", EVERYTHING is measured out in squares, not actual distances.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I agree with the above, different editions give different games and feels. In a way I like every edition of D&D and would play any of them again with the right group.

As I said, have not played 5E but I am sure it would be good.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria