When did the fever set in?

When did you start collecting Dwarven Forge?

1996-ish - At the beginning!
14%
1997-2012 - Golden Age of Resin
19%
2013 - 1st Kickstarter (Dungeons)
36%
2014 - 2nd Kickstarter (Caverns)
8%
2015 - 3rd Kickstarter (Cities/Sewers)
14%
2016 - 4th Kickstarter (Castles/Mountains)
No votes
2017 - 5th Kickstarter (Return to the Dungeon)
8%
2018 - 6th Kickstarter (Return to the Caverns)
No votes

Total votes: 36

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Re: When did the fever set in?

Post by Feymous » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 pm

I caught the bug early in 2012 and fell hard and fast into the addiction. My husband stumbled upon DF while surfing the web for gaming terrain. After sharing his discovery with me, I spent the following weeks perusing years worth of Cool Photos posts. I still remember my awe at seeing setups by Law, Tom, IO, and Kronos.

By February 2012 I had my first set in hand (Woodlands since it was the only thing in stock), by May 2012 I had a dozen dungeon and cavern sets, and by the end of 2012 I was stalking eBay for out-of-print pieces, buying from forum members, and placing orders with a half dozen European miniature accessory vendors to decorate my setups. I was in love with the product and with the friendly, creative community of fellow addicts.

Fun idea for a poll. Thanks for starting this thread!

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 pm

I bought a few accessories packs to use with my trusty old Chessex battlemat before KSI. I backed for a few sets, and after seeing how much use I got from them in that year, I went whole hog for caverns. It's been full steam since then, picking up some RotA, DoE, and MBS sets to fill those niches on my game table. MBS remains one of my favorite sets. I regret never picking up the woodlands sets at all... I hope we get a dwarvenite version of them someday.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm
We thought we had some control over our DF habit
Baaa haaa haaa haaa haaaa!!! (oh, sorry)

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

It was KS 3 CBS for us Bunnies.

Had been on Kickstarter since 2013 and was looking for table top terrain and saw DF KSIII CBS - wow that's cool, was nervous of its 25mm scale as I wanted it for 28mm terrain but was assured it would be fine and it was.
I saw it as a great way to get my entire table covered with a city of almost infinite layouts.

Not really interested in dungeons and caverns so even if we had found them we would have passed on them - though did end up sinking a significant amount into KSV DoD - mostly because of how they were represented as large rooms or caves where you could have a pitched battle - The Shrine we saw as a temple or temple complex filled with heretics waiting to be cleansed.

We thought we had some control over our DF habit but after purchasing several sets of water caverns and still wanting more and then ploughing in enough cash to buy an unpainted DoD, we have come to realise that we have virtually no will power or resistance to Doom by Dwarvenite!
I am the Game and I want to Play

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Post-KS1, when my son showed me the KS pics. When he brought his stuff over it was all she wrote... hit the rest of the KS's pretty heavy, and ordered a bunch of resin sets from DF, DF-E, and folks here and elsewhere online.

Luckily I've had some extensive work travel over the past six years that resulted in hefty overtime $$, which became my budget for KS2-KS5.

That work/travel continues and I'm already planning for next KS. :P

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 am

The first time I had enough money to buy DF, the online store was bereft of almost all product. That didn't stop me, however, and I scored one Room & Passage set off eBay and three Ice Caverns sets from the UK store. Needless to say, my group played through a lot of winter adventures for a while!

[edit: this is my 500th post! To celebrate, I'm going to buy some more large towers :lol: ]

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

William wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am
... I have broken my ravenous frenzy over the last three KS's. Not enough income to feed my gluttony....
Definitely one of the 7 deadly sins. :lol:
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am

lostpict wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:19 pm
I was infected when I saw it in the FLGS when it first came out. I bought about one box a year for the first few years and then multi-box buys leading up to buying it buy the boatload once I could order it direct from DF. The KS lead to a new level of madness. I fear what will happen in the 2020s...
My story lives closest to lostpict's. Late 20th century for me too.
Although my fear level for the 2020's is minimal, I have broken my ravenous frenzy over the last three KS's. Not enough income to feed my gluttony. Oh well, I'll just have to make do with what I have and add a few small purchases along the way. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm

I do agree buying extra to resell really dropped off with KSIII. KSI and KSII were simple to resell with the base sets, later ones not so much.

I wonder how the KSV encounters will do on the open market in a few months, as I am sure not all DoD people really want every encounter.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am

I first heard about Dwarven Forge from when Gabe used them in his group's layouts and posted about them on Penny Arcade. (I specifically remember RotA and the Room and Passage Set) I looked into them, thinking they were cool, but easily too expensive for me.

Later on, Rich Burlew at Order of the Stick did his kickstarter for reprinting his comics in print form and I started to get hooked on kickstarter. My first big pledges were Reaper Bones I and I heard Dwarven Forge was doing one too. Stefan had me hooked when he said they were cheaper than his resin sets so they would be more accessible. I somehow talked my wife into letting me order 10 sets while going in with a friend to subsidize costs. My beautiful, kind, precious wife knew I had a thing for buying and reselling Magic the Gathering collections and suggested I buy an extra 10 sets for resale. I jumped at the opportunity. This started a snowball and I began searching for and buying gaming collections, aiming specifically for Dwarven Forge.

I was extremely fortunate enough to buy a collection from someone who had ordered virtually 3 of each resin set, with almost everything except some of the most recent resin sets. I was able to sell off a large chunk of it to those here in the forums (THANK YOU!) and was able to keep some of the more hard to find sets from it. Since then, I have been able to buy a few more collections to resell and with these, I have at least one of each set now, many in duplicate or triplicate. ....I still need more. 😈

Since that time my wife has let me use my birthday, Christmas, father's day, etc. and use that as credit for the kickstarters, so I've been lucky and have been able to get what I wanted each time. The first 3 kickstarters, I was able to pledge for extra and resell, but KS4 and KS5 were too expensive for me to speculate on. With KS1 and KS2, speculating on $1,000 of extra sets was hard enough, in the most recent kickstarters, to get the best price it was 2-4 times that almost, and was way over what we could do.

So there's my Dwarven Forge story. :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned