Total votes: 50

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Demographics

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am

Oldent wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am
If I was still working I would have to have this new riot gun so I might not have money to spend :lol:
Crazy colonials :lol:
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am

I seem to be the only one over 60 to post. I was the youngest in my model train group and my historical wargame group. I am playing with my friends children and grandchildren because most of the club members have passed on.The movers and shakers in our group now were children when I organised the club.

I am going to guess that not shopping online has more to do with how many people my age are going to be involved than fixed income. My houses (exwives) and cars are paid for. I purchased most of my DF retail or at Gencon.
If I could exercise more I would not be online to comment as often.

If I was still working I would have to have this new riot gun so I might not have money to spend :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 am

The problem isn't so much the magnetized game tiles, it's the characters constantly fly off the hood.

Just to note, two months (or 62 days) shy of 55.
Why yes, yes I am 12 at heart, so what of it???
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 am

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

A big shout out to whoever posted of them DnD'ing in the car with the family - done that a few times and its great - interacting with the kids on a boring journey - priceless.
Glad it works for you!

sometimes the best ideas are born out of desperation ;)
Cracking idea kitenerd :) I just need to remember to focus on driving !
dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm
And now with KSV you can put your dungeon layout on the hood of the car for all to see.

Magnets FTW!!!
what do we think the speed tolerances are on the magnets? at what speed will straight walls and golems start bashing the windscreen?

The reason there are no over 70's .... Logans Run .... sinister Government plot ..... not enough money in the pension pots ..... it all adds up to the Queen using the life force of retirees to stay alive!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:53 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 am
I know why there's not many of us in the younger areas of the poll due to DF's cost, but the older areas makes me wonder if it's more of a fixed income issue or we all need to get out and exercise more..... :(
Well if Gary Gygax was still with us he would be around 80 & Dave Arneson would be around 71 so I would not expect many gamers older than that to be so into RPGs as to buy DF. I think we are doing just fine to have many from the second, third and even perhaps the forth generation of RPGers enjoying DF. On the exercise front, load up some Dwarvenite in your KS tote bags and get to lifting. Just do not sweat all over the place or your game room will smell like it did when you were a teen gamer.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 am

I know why there's not many of us in the younger areas of the poll due to DF's cost, but the older areas makes me wonder if it's more of a fixed income issue or we all need to get out and exercise more..... :(
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm

And now with KSV you can put your dungeon layout on the hood of the car for all to see.

Magnets FTW!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

A big shout out to whoever posted of them DnD'ing in the car with the family - done that a few times and its great - interacting with the kids on a boring journey - priceless.
Glad it works for you!

sometimes the best ideas are born out of desperation ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

The man behind the myth or in this case the Wowdy Wabbit.

Turned 50 last year mentally still 15.

Grew up in a holiday town in North Wales which just happened to have big Castle :) but not much else - certainly no 'gaming store'. Mostly contented myself with playing floor WWII battles with my Airfix soldiers and model kits.

Never came across DnD until I started work in 90, before that it was some strategy computer games 'Lords of Midnight' etc.
DnD was awesome as I was already reading a shed load of fantasy books 'Lord of the Rings', 'DragonLance' etc.
In some respects it was just an excuse for friends to meet up drink beer and eat pizza. But damn did we have some fun! I managed to DM 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' for about 18 months, with the prime motivator to have fun, so some dice rolls were not always used on face value ;)
We used some figures and graph paper to work out the more complex fights but mostly it was in the mind, which was ok until the arguments, usually solved by a potion or two ;)

I was always collecting comics and discovered one of the better authors had written some sci-fi books which turned out to be right up there on the Mount Rushmore of books with 'Lord of Rings, 'Waylander' and RE Howards Conan for me.

These new books were Warhammer 40k books and you know what? they did minis of the characters in the books and before I knew it I was totally sucked into Table Top wargamming although mostly harking back to playing WWII stories with my Airfix soldiers and model kits.

Always loved creating stories and with 3d Terrain and the glorious minis you get now, you can tell some good ones.
Sometimes the dice and measurement rulers come out, but mostly my son, daughter and myself create stories as we go along (once Dad has created the setup), where I effectively DM with the prime motivator is that it has to be funny.

Discovered DF at KSIII which was awesome - they provided me the means to build the towns I want, with the size of buildings I want. And the best thing I can get them all pre-painted - HUZZAH!!!!!

Had a bucket load of fun with the kids playing with my castle and CBS - next instalment due soon.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm

I'll be 38 in about eight days or so. Had to stop and think about that, I stopped keeping track after I could buy alcohol. Since I have no plans to run for office the next age that matters is my senior discount, followed by retirement.

I started playing tabletop RPGs in the 80s with AD&D first edition. The books we had were given to my friend by his teacher. They were nearly falling apart. We picked up a mess of Dragonlance stuff between two of us and I grabbed the second edition books from Walden books. I picked up HeroQuest when it came out with money scraped together from selling buckeyes and some older toys of mine at a local fair. We started to get some pewter figs from a booth in the mall, the only local place we could find that carried any. We used the HeroQuest set with the pewter figs to play D&D. Over the years I've tried tons of game systems. There wasn't really any terrain and there were hardly any figures for quite awhile in my area. When I saw DF stuff (I wanna say it was around 96 or 97, can't swear to that though) I fell in love but I didn't have the budget. Once KS1 happened I jumped in with both feet and have gotten at least some every KS since. I had done Bones 2 just before and have been buying minis at a respectable clip since then as well.