Other
3%

Total votes: 29

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: What edition did you start with?

Post by lostpict » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 pm

I eventually suffered through 2 separate Pathfinder campaigns. Any time I drew my Axe for a 2 or 3 minute skirmish, it took hours to resolve the simple fights. Give me that old THACO religion anytime. ;-)
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm

I think all RPG systems suffer from bloat and power creep because, as you said, publisher must publish.

DF is really the same. In KSI (ignoring resin for a bit) there were few pieces and finding them was easy. Now there are so many, with storage getting harder and harder, it is more difficult to brig a layout to the table. Yes, it looks far better, and is more fun, but it is more difficult.

I usually do not mind moving on from version to version of D&D and 5E is the first time I have not moved on.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:36 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am
Ten years later the system is bloated, power creep is rampant and no one could possibly keep track of all the feats, traits, spells and variants that are out there.
I am not arguing with you but I believe that is the end of almost all versions of D&D. While I loved playing a Unearthed Arcana barbarian in first I would argue that UA showed power creep, While I own many of the 2E Complete books I still laugh at the idea of the three armed tree ranger and while I enjoyed the endless options of 3.5/pathfinder I agree the system is bloated. Even if a system is perfectly balanced and by some miracle stays balanced it will become bloated with monsters, classes, races and magic items. One of the things I loved about the 2E era of D&D was that instead of just putting out more books they created a lot more worlds, now while not all of the worlds were for me it allowed the DMs who did not homebrew and their players to play endless classes and races without causing a game world that felt overstuffed like a cheap sausage.

I am not saying that a DM must say NO to all new things but a single world with everything becomes less IMO.

And to get back on topic

While I played many times in 1E in the 80s I true enjoyed the early days of 2E with 1E books still around the most.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am

At the risk of threadjacking...

Pathfinder was for everyone playing 3.5 who did not like the direction 4.0 was going and wanted to keep playing (OSRIC for the modern age). It fixed a LOT of what was wrong with 3.5. The collaborative development process was very welcomed for those of us who felt betrayed by the announcement of 4e and secrecy surrounding it. I abandoned my 3.5 campaign and actually ran a campaign in Pathfinder BETA

Pathfinder is awesome, but Paizo is a publishing company... so they need to publish. There are 5 times the number of player as there are GM's. So the money is in publishing player material. Advanced Player Guide is probably the coolest single D&D book out there (to me...). Then came Ultimate this and Ultimate that and Even Yet Still More this and Super Alternate Variant that. Ten years later the system is bloated, power creep is rampant and no one could possibly keep track of all the feats, traits, spells and variants that are out there.

I can only GM Pathfinder up to about 7-8th level before it becomes more than my brain can juggle (someday i hope to go farther - post kids i hope i'll get part of my brain back). I am currently playing at 9th and 11th and it is beginning to get unwieldy. Combat can slow to a crawl when everyone is that powerful. Large battles often span multiple sessions. Sweet spot for the system is 4-6th.

I love the system, own FAR too much material for it and will probably never switch because of that, but i agree with its critics. Everything that (i felt) WOTC got wrong with 4e they did differently with 5e. I have been very impressed with the 5e i have played and was glad to see the flagship of the RPG community return to glory. I think people that learn to play 5e will learn role playing again and be less focused on munchkining the ultimate character (which is fun too, but gets tedious after a while).

(Steps off soapbox) Now back to what we were discussing
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Pizzabagel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Pizzabagel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 am

For me, the best part of Pathfinder was the truly excellent and imaginative writing for their adventure paths and source material. But as a DM I found it became too difficult to run, especially at higher levels. The players loved it because they could be like overpowered gods. If some of the Paizo writers would write for 5th edition, it would be fantastic.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 am

I never did Pathfinder. It is a great system though.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am

i agree with what has been said... i choose 1st edition but started a bit before those books came out

I am not certain on the timeline, but there were at least three versions of the rules before AD&D came out - and that was definitely not 2nd Edition - AD&D was still 1st edition, but it was full size hardcover

I bought the White Box, my friends had the blue full sized pamphlet type rules from the box set above, but i liked the smaller books - there were lots of inconsistencies between the two, but the rules were so arcane i am not sure we noticed. There was also a red rulebook about the same time. I got the hardbacks for Christmas the year they came out. By the early eighties i was in high school and had stopped playing.

I came back when it was 3.5 and then when 4e came along switched to Pathfinder. I am teaching the boys Pathfinder because i am so familiar with it. If i was advising someone new to the game, i would tell them to start with 5e. What little i have played in 5e has impressed me and it is definitely a LOT easier to learn. (although i have to say part of the allure of D&D way back when was the arcane rules and all of the tables and charts, random treasure tables, THACO, different names for character classes at every level... it was all soooo cool!)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm

I started RPGing in '77 with those D&D booklets and Grayhawk. Quickly transitioned to The Fantasy Trip, Chivalry & Sorcerory, and Traveller, but returned with AD&D 1st Edition in the late 80s.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Pizzabagel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm

I started with the red box Basic Set, then Expert, then AD&D. I then stopped for many years, but returned to the hobby when 3rd edition came out. Switched to Pathfinder, skipped 4th edition, and now playing 5th edition and thoroughly enjoying it.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:08 am

I picked 1st edition, but I actually started with the boxed sets pre-1st. I only bought two, not all of them.