LED magnet controlled Kickstarter

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: LED magnet controlled Kickstarter

Post by Oldent » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 am

This is an old high lead alloy pre sloata base model from Heartbreaker. It will serve as an example.The red rod is a hollow coffee stirrer The clear plastic rod will replace the gem at the end of the staff.

I would drill a hole from the armpit to the sleve at the base of the staff.

The next hole would run through the base of the model to the armpit of the model.If the model were plastic this would require very little effort. Because the model is high lead alloy it may prove difficult. First it will get hot. Needle nose vice grips will be necessary because there is very little area on the base to clamp. The alloy depending on the lead content will have a low melt point and could clog the drill bit.I could use a hand drill instead of a power drill. This will not be an issue with high tin models or plastic. To make the fire ball I would add a third hole from the sleeve to the armpit for the wiring

To hide the wire I would remove the staff and hand and use the hollow coffee stirrer as the replacement.I would remove the decoration from the staff and dill it out for a clear plastic replacement gem.
I would have options for the fire ball arm. First I would remove the hand at the bracelet and drill the hand at the palm through the bracelet. If it is possible I would drill a hole through the arm back to the arm pit. More likely I would replace the arm with the coffee stirrer. I would need to re build the hand an fill the armpit.
Plastic models will require way less work.

There are several fibber optic spell effect that would make fun options.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:19 am

Rhizom wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm
I also went in with a small pledge (5 sets) but I am still not sure how the wires will look at the miniatures and how I can hide them. In the picture above for example you see a cable hanging loosely beneath the wizard's arm. Not sure if I like that.
Best idea I would have is a dremel to make a small channel going the length of the wire and then green stuff to cover it. But that requires some sculpting.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm
I also went in with a small pledge (5 sets) but I am still not sure how the wires will look at the miniatures and how I can hide them. In the picture above for example you see a cable hanging loosely beneath the wizard's arm. Not sure if I like that.
"a cable hanging loosely beneath the wizard's arm" I do not care for that myself. What to do?
I think it will depend on the model.Some will be less trouble than others. Staffs will be simple, substitute a hollow coffee stirrer for example. Plastic/bones models are less difficult to drill than pewter. It will be hard to hide wires in clear resin.

Rhizom
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Rhizom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm

simage4344
Goblin
Goblin

Post by simage4344 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:38 pm

looks pretty cool.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 am

This will fit in a miniatures base.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

LED magnet controlled Kickstarter

Post by Oldent » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 am