The Path Of Osiris (2nd egyptian set)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: The Path Of Osiris (2nd egyptian set)

Post by bernyleung » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:38 am

Last day! Get on board! This is an especially good deal if you've got your own 3D printer. But I can also attest to the very high quality of the "sandstone" cast tiles. Lots of stretch goals unlocked!

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:10 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 pm
Is it worth buying prepainted? How do you do the stain/wash? Is it a dip? I typically buy prepainted but have painted some...
pacarat wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 pm
MO, nope. Too easy and quick to slop on a thin wash. I used some valspar house paint, thinned very well, and a cheap 1/2" brush.
I bought mine unpainted as well and asked the creator of the Kickstarter what paint he used:
"The paint I like the most is Folkart Bark Brown :) in us and canada it can be bought in Michaels stores."

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:41 pm

For Mesoamerican, I would hope they do a medium gray cast. I think most are made of limestone. They wouldn't have worked in sandstone, probably.

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

I don't have a 3-D printer, and as tempted as I am, I am passing on this KS, only because I am planning on going in on their next KS -with a Mesoamerican theme- instead.

My thinking is that the Egyptian theme is just too distinct from my DF collection to easily mix and match the two.

OTOH, a Mesoamerican set could have some very nice synergy with the Shrine of Sysuul. Especially if I paint it myself.

I hope they will do a similar, or perhaps a little darker, sandstone production on that KS.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Anybody with a 3D printer should check this out again. Lots and lots of stretch goals unlocked for a small Kickstarter. I think the *all in* 3D file set is $100 Canadian, which is about $79 US at current exchange rates.

Anybody here have a resin printer, by the way?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:14 pm

For those who are sci-fi oriented, creator has promised a sandstone cast and 3D printer file set for an "Egyptian Sci-Fi" element, which may or may not be inspired by a certain past entertainment franchise....

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 pm

interesting KS (indegogo... whatever)

how cool would it be if this:
croctile.jpg
croctile.jpg (219.99 KiB) Viewed 602 times
was the same size as 2 water tiles and could be painted to match...

i officially want something like this included in the alternate shoreline sculpt pack
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 am

Here are some ideas on painting egyptian stonework from the Hirst Arts how to page that I used to paint my Aegyptian terrain:

http://www.hirstarts.com/painting/painting3.html

http://www.hirstarts.com/painting/painting2.html

And some minis to run amok in the place:
Sons of Anubis from Dark Fable including the current canine warriors and mist of the the Temple of Set miniatures:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... #/comments

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 pm
Is it worth buying prepainted? How do you do the stain/wash? Is it a dip? I typically buy prepainted but have painted some...

A dip is how I did mine and they came out just fine. That and it made it fast as heck to do them all. I just mixed up my own dip using some paint and water in a Cool Whip container and went to town on them.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Myself, I think it's worth buying pre-painted, but only because I purchased a relatively small amount of tiles (at least compared to DF) since it's theme lends itself to smaller builds. I haven't tested the tile durability and am a little scared to, but I didn't get a single broken tile when it shipped.

For those who are dioramists and want lots of sets to do a big build, I think this would be extremely easy to paint. It's really just repeated washing.