A thought on resellers

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Re: A thought on resellers

Post by ced1106 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks -- how many different resin sets can DF receive among the 1200 sets?

fwiw, GMT boardgames has used the P500 pre-order (?) system for years (you can tell from their web interface :D

"Once a game is available to order from the P500 list, you decide whether you want the game. If you do, you order it by credit card, and we add your name to the list of buyers. We DO NOT CHARGE YOUR CARD. When we reach 500 buyers, the game has passed P500 and has “made the cut" (see note on how this is evolving, below) we begin to wrap up playtesting and begin final editing and prepare for production . Then when the game is ready for final production (usually about 700-750 orders), we announce a Charge Date (the date we actually charge your card for the game + shipping). We aim to ship the game in 12 weeks or less from that Charge Date."

For their reprints, GMT uses a geeklist on BGG. I see posts asking about restock but can't find a DF poll or whatnot to find which products to restock, and don't remember one on the DF newsletter?

http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTP500Details.aspx
http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTP500Reprints.aspx

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 am

DF has to order by the *container* shipped from China, which, if I remember correctly, is 1200 resin sets. Maybe the pre-order could be for 500 sets? Though I have no idea what the minimum # of sets ordered from the factory is to get enough of a volume discount to make if worth it for DF nor how long it would take to accumulate that many orders via the web-site/newsletter nor how much of a PIA it would be to keep track of them, charge/not charge credit cards etc as the pre-orders trickled in over months....

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Post by ced1106 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:34 am

bernyleung wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 pm
I support the pre-order model. Not sure what I'd buy yet, but I'd support it.
Yes! That. DF has an active forum community, and a newsletter (needs to get the newsletter signup page fixed! :D so definitely has a way to reach its audience for pre-orders. Doesn't matter to me if they do KS or not.

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Alarian wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 pm
I really do wish DF would do something about the resin sets. When a certain set can take 1, 2 or 3 years to come back into stock and 12 hours into the restock it's sold out, it can be more than a little frustrating. I think the pre-order suggestion would fill this problem perfectly. I would have no problem at all waiting 6 months to a year for a restock if i KNEW I was going to get it when it came in. I also have no problem at all paying up front to ensure DF doesn't get the short end of the stick. With the problem going on for as long as it has, I really don't understand their complete inability to come up with a solution. I know I've bought off Ebay more than once, paying way more than I felt was a reasonable price, but when the option is to wait a year or more and then roll the dice on whether or not your sitting at your computer when the notification comes in, it's just easier to bite the bullet and pay a ridiculous price for the set and save myself the frustration.
I would likely buy 1-2 sets a year if they did a 2 week pre-order window with delivery in 6-12 months for resin. Maybe more, depending on the offerings. I mostly prefer Dwarvenite, but until/unless DF offers the full range of products in Dwarvenite, I'll want to pick up some resin for variety.

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 pm

I really do wish DF would do something about the resin sets. When a certain set can take 1, 2 or 3 years to come back into stock and 12 hours into the restock it's sold out, it can be more than a little frustrating. I think the pre-order suggestion would fill this problem perfectly. I would have no problem at all waiting 6 months to a year for a restock if i KNEW I was going to get it when it came in. I also have no problem at all paying up front to ensure DF doesn't get the short end of the stick. With the problem going on for as long as it has, I really don't understand their complete inability to come up with a solution. I know I've bought off Ebay more than once, paying way more than I felt was a reasonable price, but when the option is to wait a year or more and then roll the dice on whether or not your sitting at your computer when the notification comes in, it's just easier to bite the bullet and pay a ridiculous price for the set and save myself the frustration.

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 pm
Then why can't we just have a small Kickstarter to reprint one or some of the resin sets? Maybe add one or two new things to qualify for using Kickstarter (so it's not just existing products). If it doesn't meet the funding goal, then no reprint as there wasn't enough demand.
No point doing a KS for a restock. Why pay 10% or more in fees to KS? More economical to do the pre-order thing in the online store.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 pm

joeroot wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 pm
DF's current business model is much less susceptible to speculation under KS than it was (is) under restock and retail. The sets bought by speculators are actually manufactured in addition to the sets bought by end users in a KS, because the pledges (and shipping container size) determine the number of sets that are produced.
Then why can't we just have a small Kickstarter to reprint one or some of the resin sets? Maybe add one or two new things to qualify for using Kickstarter (so it's not just existing products). If it doesn't meet the funding goal, then no reprint as there wasn't enough demand.

joeroot

Post by joeroot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 pm

DF's current business model is much less susceptible to speculation under KS than it was (is) under restock and retail. The sets bought by speculators are actually manufactured in addition to the sets bought by end users in a KS, because the pledges (and shipping container size) determine the number of sets that are produced.

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 pm

I support the pre-order model. Not sure what I'd buy yet, but I'd support it.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 pm

I think it would help DwF a lot.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod